advertisement

Naim CDX service manual

Since this is Philips technology at heart, it must be easy to maintain with the Philips service manuals.

^This.
I can't remember which chipset it uses but Philips did produce reference designs that can help in fault finding.

Tell us what's wrong with it and I can advise further.
There are a few main failure modes in my experience:
  1. A dead or leaky tantalum capacitor pulling a power supply rail down
  2. Laser failing if it can't read discs.
  3. Dead DAC if there's no output.
If you use it with an XPS power supply then the fault is very unlikely to be in the player and will be dead reservoir caps in the XPS caused by Naim running them at or slightly above their rated voltage. They dry out or leak, the regulators fail to regulate, and all sorts of weird stuff happens to your player.

Since this is Philips technology at heart, it must be easy to maintain with the Philips service manuals.
Taking the drawer apart to replace the laser (if you can find one) and getting it back together correctly is anything but easy. I know because I sold my CDX for parts money after failing to repair it! Replaced it with an Oppo 205 & Naim nDac. Those swing out drawers are nice to look at and use but a real bitch when the laser packs up!

I know quite a bit about these after repairing both my olive XPS and years later my olive CDX. So as MJS said tell us what your specific symptoms are and people might be able to help. Taking the swing out drawer apart to access the transport/laser, and dismantling the Philips VAM1205 transport itself isn't really that difficult, but there is a bit of trick to getting the drawer assembly out.

advertisement

Back