advertisement

naim cdx cd player

Yeah but predicting the demise of CD & the rise of vinyl etc is a different thing;)

I'm not sure what exactly you mean related to missing support for their CD players ?

A company like Naim should have learned that extra spares are necessary to support forthcoming issues - indeed with their Black Classic CD range.
They didn't make sure to create a spare stock for future support, neither with their Naim speakers, some of them were discontinued only 5 years ago and no spare units available, thats lousy IMO.
Mind you, we are not talking cheap priced electronics here, people have paid premium.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean related to missing support for their CD players ?

A company like Naim should have learned that extra spares are necessary to support forthcoming issues - indeed with their Black Classic CD range.
They didn't make sure to create a spare stock for future support, neither with their Naim speakers, some of them were discontinued only 5 years ago and no spare units available, thats lousy IMO.
Mind you, we are not talking cheap electronics here.
We are talking about a CDX, Naim couldn’t have foreseen the demise of the format, they also didn’t have control over supply of mechs etc. Sorry but you are talking nonsense.

The wider point re speakers is valid but, you know, Focal took them over etc.

Sorry but you are talking nonsense.

Not, as the dialog went into later players somehow.

Lets pretend a Naim customer went to purchase their flagship CDS3, Ovator S600 speakers with Naim amplication.
Now, he is left with a premium purchase where only amplication can be supported - would he even consider Naim as next future purchase ?
Nah !

Chaps

I sometimes wonder if pfm should have a new rule that only past or present owners of Naim equipment may be allowed to comment on Naim products. I know it's but a pipe dream but the hassle factor would plummet.
I think that would rule out about 3%

Try a lump of Blu-tack in place of the puck to see if that is the issue (done this myself many years ago on a CD2)

Not, as the dialog went into later players somehow.

Lets pretend a Naim customer went to purchase their flagship CDS3, Ovator S600 speakers with Naim amplication.
Now, he is left with a premium purchase where only amplication can be supported - would he even consider Naim as next future purchase ?
Nah !
The thread is about the CDX!

Your example is completely irrelevant. Hardly anyone bought Ovators to start with & many a CDS3 is happily running to this day. It’s just not viable to keep spares for everything, these are old products which will have passed through many hands by now.

The thread is about the CDX!

Your example is completely irrelevant. Hardly anyone bought Ovators to start with & many a CDS3 is happily running to this day. It’s just not viable to keep spares for everything, these are old products which will have passed through many hands by now.
Just ignore him, he bangs the same tired crap out on every Naim thread just like perf does. No amount of explaining to him that nearly all other manufacturers are exactly the same seems to get through... look at the support for Meridian, Linn, Mission etc. etc... no different to Naim. Rega are a slight outlier, but even then their support for their early low end players is not there.

So what's better

Thats a valid comment.

Both issues are troublesome but very very different.
I guess the Chinese landfill throw away electronics is a huge problem WW.

Premium expensive Naim kit throughout two and a half decade, - which can't be supported - thats bad for owners only, could be bad for Naim loosing future customers, and a few uber sheeps seem annoyed issue is discussed.

Maybe I've been lucky but my CD2, which dates to 1996, works just fine. Mind you, I don't store the puck on the spindle when I'm not playing CDs, so maybe that helps extend the life of the puck.

Joe

I guess the Chinese landfill throw away electronics is a huge problem WW.

What I think is reprehensible is designing things to be deliberately difficult or impossible to repair. Yes, I'm looking at you Apple. All this talk about saving the planet while you can't even replace the battery in your phone.

What I think is reprehensible is designing things to be deliberately difficult or impossible to repair. Yes, I'm looking at you Apple. All this talk about saving the planet while you can't even replace the battery in your phone.
Eh? I had the battery replaced in my last iPhone for the equivalent of 30 of your pounds. Made me happy. I believe most iPhone parts are replaceable actually & that repairs can be done yourself if you’re confident, but I’d get a boffin to do them.

advertisement

Back