advertisement

naim cdx cd player

If it is a new CD clamp you need then may I recommend the latest one-size-fits-all Clamp 5 from Cymbiosis at a not unreasonable £11.03? I believe it works on all Naim CDP. To test the theory do as @MartinC suggests and fiddle with the rubber sections on your existing clamp so they will get a bit more grip on the CD, if that improves matters, but does not completely fix it then the CD Clamp 5 I link to above will sort you from there.

Be aware though of this quote from Naim in respect of the CDX:

"Clamp 5 could be used but you do risk damaging the metal hub of the mech due to the very high magnetic force of the clamp and hub together."

Just as an aside I have an ancient CDi which I nurse along. The original top hat style puck is a nightmare with just a single ring on it so Naim began offering an identical puck but with two tiny rubber loops on it which was better but I still got a few slippy sort of noises for the transport. Somebody recommended I try the latest puck design which is a flat disk almost like an air hockey puck but obviously much smaller and it's fantastic - no slipping at all!!
Given the age of these players I'm less interested in achieving the very last ounce of fidelity and much more concerned with just keeping them going nowadays and frankly I can't tell any sonic difference with any of the pucks!

Birdseed

Clamp 5 is extremely powerfull ,do not use it on CDX cds11 etc use correct clamp with the rubber dampers .
Only use clamp 5 with players it was designed for .
Can't believe some of the comments above
Naim haters to the fore...as usual .
I have both and the 5 could rip the centre ring of the CDX drive . I've had a CDX that this exact thing was ," done to "

I will celebrate by getting an xps for it.

The XPS does improve the CDX, it adds weight and body, but it's not a huge change and I don't know that it's worth it. I think I paid about £600 for mine. Also make sure it's been recapped.

Thanks @dspatterson and @Pinky I wasn't aware of that warning and understood the clamp 5 was good for all. I know better now :) so I think it is a clamp 3 for the CDX then? Have to say I use a clamp 5 quite merrily on my CDI ... but better to be safe than sorry when trying to help others!

Yes, it is clamp 3 for the CDX.

I used to use a clamp 5 when I had a CDI too and didn't have any problems.

Clamp 5 is extremely powerfull ,do not use it on CDX cds11 etc use correct clamp with the rubber dampers .
Only use clamp 5 with players it was designed for .
Can't believe some of the comments above
Naim haters to the fore...as usual .
I have both and the 5 could rip the centre ring of the CDX drive . I've had a CDX that this exact thing was ," done to "
Clamp 5 on a CDI here for nearly 20 years, no problem. With my 2nd CDI I use a small ball of blu-tack and original (worn out) puck, also fine.

I was thinking the Black classic players, such as CD5XS or CDS3/psu, some of them discontinued 5-12 years ago, should be supported as they were indeed very very expensive.
It was just a matter of Naim had put money in extra stock of parts, they obviously didn't, even they had experience with Olive players and missing parts.
Focal ownership period, easy profit has priority.

I'm happy for a friend ditched his CDS3, facing the scenario, went for Rega Isis.
We are talking about a CDX, can you predict the future?

Difference CDI does NoT have a small metal washer glued to spindle ,that can be pulled off with extreme magnet .That sort of comment muddies the water for those not sure and just increases the possibility of damage , all hail internet experts , jeez I should know better than post here ,just use the right puck .

Something worth trying that's cheaper than a new puck just to see if it's the puck or not - Get some thin double sided tape (like selotape/scotch tape thin) and stick some on the spindle, make sure the tape is smooth and even, press the CD onto it and also place the puck. Do you still hear the noise as it spins up and tries to read the TOC?
Another thing it could be is - when you insert a disk the laser sled will drive to it's inner limit "home position" and hit a reed type limit switch and the the laser will try to focus to read the CD TOC, if for some reason this limit switch isn't working the laser sled rack/pinion nwill keep driving off the end of the linear rack gear as it tries to find home and create a clicking sound.
The 3 sounds you might be hearing -
1. A kind of skidding / slipping / rattling sound as the spindle first spins the CD up to speed = probable puck/magnet problem.
2. A definite clicking sound = the sled cannot find it's home position and is driving off the end of the linear rack gear.
3. A very very quiet ticking sound as the laser lens tries to focus to read the TOC = probable laser problem.
If you are comfortable doing so, you can take the case off and see what it's doing with and without a CD, this might give you a better idea of what the noise is.

Chinese "genuine" (hahaha) Philips VAM1205 mechanisms are available for the CDX but it can be pot luck with them.

I preferred the CDSPS to the XPS with my CDX. Maybe difficult to find but cheaper if you can.

I use a red fiber plumber's washer under the puck on my 1999 CDX . Also rotate the rubber rings from time to time . NEVER leave the puck rubber-ring side down when not in use : the rings will flatten .

If only someone could invent some way of holding a CD in place without having to use one of these troublesome pucks.

Chaps

I sometimes wonder if pfm should have a new rule that only past or present owners of Naim equipment may be allowed to comment on Naim products. I know it's but a pipe dream but the hassle factor would plummet.

advertisement

Back