advertisement

Naim CDS2 query - time for a new mech??

Ewen1970

The Ocean Doesn't Want Me
I've had a CDS2 for a year or so now and absolutely love it.

Occasionally it gets a bit temperamental with the odd CD when loading and won't read it, making a strange whirring noise before stopping and saying error.

If you select track 2 say it usually plays it and then if you go back to track 1 it's usually fine also.

It's only on the odd occasion that this happens so I was wondering if this is the first sign of a repair needed???

Can't remember, does it use the Top Hat puck?

If so the rubber o rings may be worn or squashed and the puck is not securing the cd so well.

Certainly on the CDi the clamp 5 (flat) puck can be very effective making it easier to read.

Tom Tom have these.

If none of the above I'd reserve a new mech from our trusty Mark Slade and wait for that fateful day.

I can do them, but it's subject to extensive testing to make sure you get a good one. These aren't as susceptible to bad rubbers on the pucks as the older mechs so when it starts playing up it usually is the laser.

I can do them, but it's subject to extensive testing to make sure you get a good one. These aren't as susceptible to bad rubbers on the pucks as the older mechs so when it starts playing up it usually is the laser.

Would love to know more, so a few questions:

Is it the laser that fails or is it the laser electronics, or could it be the sled/mechinism that it moves the laser?

Occasionally it gets a bit temperamental with the odd CD when loading and won't read it, making a strange whirring noise before stopping and saying error.

This is not uncommon on the CDS2 and is caused by the disk slipping when spinning up to read the table of contents. This can be problematic on thin CDs, or ones that have greasy finger marks around the hole or because the little rubber grippers on the puck have become squashed. A bit of gentle cleaning and pulling the little rubber rings on the bottom of the puck so they stand proud should fix this.

Yep, try the puck pinching method (or get a new puck, it's type #5 you need). I have a a CDS2 as well, and have owned several other Naim CD players too, they all have the same issue with pucks. Just beathing on the puck before use seems to work for me. Some thin CDs benefit from a few pieces of electrical tape on the top face to make them a bit thicker. I find it really annoying that a nice piece of equipment that has been otherwise so well designed and built is let down by such a cheap piece-of-crap "clamp", but what are you going to do about it eh?

greasy finger marks around the hole.

:eek::eek:

Just sounds wrong!

Anyway, had a quick look at the puck in play and compared against another one that I have and yes the little rubber rings are looking slightly squashed.

I'll have a play around with that before doing anything else.

Thanks Gents!

Good luck. I have cds2 and twice had to replace transport, usually after 5 yrs. u can try playing with puck. If that doesn't fix problem, likely looking at new transport.
-david

Highly unlikely to be the transport. Puck is miles more likely. You can try, gently and with dry hands, rotating the tiny rubber rings radially to get new rubber showing, and a better grip. Replacement pucks are cheap.

Ya'll are working too hard. Tweezers are magical - gently pull up on an o-ring near the plastic tab that secures it to the clamp using tweezers. Then pull up on it one more time. This rotates the o-ring moving its flat spot away from the base of the clamp and its point of interface with the CD. Repeat with the other two o-rings. Job done assuming this is causing your problem.

If the discs slip it's the puck. If not, the problem lies elsewhere.

I used to apply sellotape around the hole of some of my thinner discs when I had a CDX.

You can also rotate the little rubber rings in the puck.

sm_6107esp_fv.jpg

"What...those scissors with the funny paddles on the ends?"

advertisement

Back