advertisement

Naim CDi player problem

Nye Samuel

Herr Katze
After nearly 6 months sterling service after a Naim service...the laser was deemed fine at that point.

Today without reason a thumping noise started from the speakers...but only from the CD input.

1. I disconnected and reconnected the cable from a 72 to the CDi...still the thumping noise appeared...not the tuner.

2. I switched the input from CD to tape thumping noise is still there.

3. I used the tuner lead and input...thumping noise is still there.

4. I changed the puck...for a little while it is quiet then the noise reappears.

5. I left it for a while...the noise has gone and I play a cd...then music stops...thumping noise begins...the noise will remain either with or without a CD.

Any idea as to what the problem is? It must be the player....laser? Or something else...Any advice would be appreciated....I will call Naim tomorrow. :(

Thats odd, I am pretty sure back when I had one there was an issue with the output stage but I might be imagining that. I think though at some point you have to 'let it go', as it were. You'll be looking at another 300+.

Thats odd, I am pretty sure back when I had one there was an issue with the output stage but I might be imagining that. I think though at some point you have to 'let it go', as it were. You'll be looking at another 300+.

Naim's service should be guaranteed 12 months...but even if it were £300...still be cheaper than a newer CD player...though something else could then go wrong...so I take your point

I cannot remember what the issue was on mine but there was defo sound issues and they fixed it but it was something to do with the 'output stage' what ever that is, sorry it was like 15 years ago!

Although to be fair as it seems to appear on all channels perhaps something earthing has gone awry?

I cannot remember what the issue was on mine but there was defo sound issues and they fixed it but it was something to do with the 'output stage' what ever that is, sorry it was like 15 years ago!

Although to be fair as it seems to appear on all channels perhaps something earthing has gone awry?

Thanks for the input...I will contact Naim today and see what they say...I have a box and a local Naim dealer...Plus a spare cd player such a mishap.

I just responded to this on Facebook!
It sounds like a regulator shutting down due to overheating, most often caused by a faulty tantalum capacitor.
It's definitely not the laser, and digital faults never sound like this. It would be a relatively easy fix, it's certainly not terminal.

I just responded to this on Facebook!
It sounds like a regulator shutting down due to overheating, most often caused by a faulty tantalum capacitor.
It's definitely not the laser, and digital faults never sound like this. It would be a relatively easy fix, it's certainly not terminal.

Ahh thanks again...I was not sure if it was you or not...I am not good with names (if you pardon the pun)...that is good news.

Have they performed a complete recap for this unit?

I was told a 'complete service' but not given any specific replacement work.

To be honest...I am now wondering...when I get it back in totally pristine condition...should I keep it...it has the sturdy CDM4 laser or take @garyi advice and get something more readily serviceable...such as a Naim CD 5Si...I am interested in your opinions...to paraphrase The Clash...'shall the CDi say or should it go?'

I am certainly not able to comment I dont think I have handled a CD in the best part fo a decade.

To be honest...I am now wondering...when I get it back in totally pristine condition...should I keep it...it has the sturdy CDM4 laser or take @garyi advice and get something more readily serviceable...such as a Naim CD 5Si...I am interested in your opinions...to paraphrase The Clash...'shall the CDi say or should it go?'

The entry level "5i" CD range may be serviceable, but IME entirely different to a CDi.
Not my cup on anything higher up hierarchy than a Nait 5i/Si amp.

Actually I didn't know Naim could service these old players due to lack of spares, lucky you.
I sold my CDi ages ago due to exactly that point.
Such a cool machine.

The entry level "5i" CD range may be serviceable, but IME entirely different to a CDi.
Not my cup on anything higher up hierarchy than a Nait 5i/Si amp.

Actually I didn't know Naim could service these old players due to lack of spares, lucky you.
I sold my CDi ages ago due to exactly that point.
Such a cool machine.

I am doing what you did...yes it is cool...so what CD player do you currently have?

they can service the electronics not the transport or chip was what I was told.

agree the CDI like the CD2 and lesser CD3 had the TDA1541A S1 chip

CDi had either CDM-4 or the CDM-9Pro is my understanding?

they can service the electronics not the transport or chip was what I was told.

agree the CDI like the CD2 and lesser CD3 had the TDA1541A S1 chip

CDi had either CDM-4 or the CDM-9Pro is my understanding?
Yes, if you have an older CDI then it has the CDM4 transport. Spares are plentiful in donor players and they very rarely go wrong. CDM9s are in very short supply though. I still have an original CDI, albeit tweaked a little, but I've no intention of ever letting it go.

Yes, if you have an older CDI then it has the CDM4 transport. Spares are plentiful in donor players and they very rarely go wrong. CDM9s are in very short supply though. I still have an original CDI, albeit tweaked a little, but I've no intention of ever letting it go.

I have as a spare a Technic MASH cd player with a CDM4 laser.

Sell it whilst in A1 condition. Buy a DAC to your taste and pretty much anything reasonable to use as a transport. When it breaks, buy another one. I use a Marantz DR700 as a transport, well over 20 years old and doesn’t miss a beat.

Very true the one thing I would like to see the digital out to allow the use of external dac. Took naim a very long time to come round to this idea

advertisement

Back