advertisement

Naim CD3 repair or upgrade?

say it as it is

pfm Member
Hi been suggested I come on the DIY forum for advice or ideas on the art of the possible.
Been offered a naim CD3 powers up but doesn't play correctly not seen it yet so only going in description given.
Fair to say transport issue?
My question here is what is possible with this cd? I like the olive case will match my 72 when I finally get it up and running.
I understand the transport are extremely difficult to find and rarely work when sourced as cheap copies?
So question here is thinking outside the box but with a shoe string budget what could I do with a CD3 ?
Could a more modern transport be fitted ? Could an external dac be utilised?
Could it be nodded to take external power supply and would this make any difference?
Lots of questions I know have never tried anything like this and tend to only stick to OEM spec. But if parts are not available what are the possibilities?
Or better to scrap it and get something more modern?

All thoughts and suggestions welcome

'not playing correctly? What doesn't it do? A few things could be stopping it from working but most likely the laser assembly or maybe the chip set, the Laser was available from one place 'Avondale Audio' not sure if Les still has any. There is no option that I know of to replace the transport. External DAC, everything is doable but at what time and cost...The chip set (TDA1541A + SAA7220) are available from a few places, you'll have to do some searching if that's the problem, and their a bit of a bugger to fit as their through hole mounted directly on the PCB. Or it might be the output op-amps ...or one of many other things.

If your knowledge and or skill levels are not up to it and would think may be not from the questions it might be best to try a more modern approach. That said nothing ventured nothing gained. Its not really a entry level DIY project IMO.

But don't let that stop you...

I’m not sure what laser mech it uses but if it’s a Philips cdm9-44 I have one you’re welcome to

First thing to try is a new puck,my daughters started to act up
saying err on some discs.A new puck sorted it and it plays perfectly
on all discs now
Clive Smith

There are two main failure modes. The easiest one is when the turntable drops on the spindle, binds, and can't spin. The second one is the laser itself. These transports and indeed donor players are in very short supply, but if you have access to one then go for it.

A slipping puck is easily heard because the disk will slip and you'll hear the laser clattering about. If you can find a fridge magnet or similar then pull the drawer out and place the magnet against the bottom left hand edge near the front. It'll then think it's inside the player and try to index the disk. If the disk doesn't move at all there's a motor spindle fault. If it briefly tries to spin then it's almost certainly a laser or focus fault. If the laser is in anything other than the 'home' position next to the spindle with the smallest of force then there's a servo board fault.

Unless it is something very simple, like a puck these can be very difficult.
My Avondale CD3 went back to Les twice and he spent hours trying to find the problem. It never worked and I moved onto a Densen.
Anyway this has reminded me that I have a pair of CD3 pucks and anyone is welcome to them.
I will turn the rubber feet if they look flat.
Cheers Andy.

I think I will take a punt on this if I can get a good price on it what you reckon it be be worth?
I like the idea of adding conventional phono plugs and possibly an external power supply if I am going to have to work on this player.

Once I get it back I will be asking for advice certainly.

Appreciate the help and input tho.

Ok just picked it up nice original owner boxed visually mint just not working.
Will have a proper look when I have time but already I love the looks and if I can get it to outshine my Rega Apollo ( strange I know but I prefer the last of full size case to the later Apollo-R ).
If I can get it working or try a few mods I'd love to hear if it can outdo the Apollo now I have fallen for it again

Well the CD3 DAC is about as far away as it's possible to be from the refined beauty in your Rega Apollo - the CD3 uses a crown version of the TDA1541 so it's a high spec multi-bit converter when that was the pinnacle of conversion in it's day, with just a touch of oversampling (4x) as there was a limit to how fast these devices could operate. The Apollo uses a very fancy modern delta-sigma high oversampling converter, so a very different approach but equally valid.

Hopefully the problem will turn out to be mechanical and a quick fix, but it might need a new laser or control board, which although no longer made should be findable either from a donor or from old stock. You're definitely in the right place to get help with it though!

Cheers when I finally get a minute I will take a proper look see if anything obvious. Will try a different puck first of all then take it from there.

Ok finally took it out the box tonight and removed the transit screw lol.
Powered it up no nasty smells or noises so let it warm up a little and inserted a disc with the puck on of course.
It spun up read how many tracks on cd.
Pressed play could hear whir of motor display reads 1.01 won't play skip reads 2.01 skip forward or back same result.

So on basis that it will spin up and read a disc and skip between but not play what is likely to be the fault?

Am new to this so all suggestions appreciated.

Didn't sound like disc was slipping or anything and no strange noises

Will do tomorrow thanks
Although it did look like the whole laser was bobbing about when I opened the drawer for the first time will look again tommorow with magnet and report back

hi all

ok finally got a chance to look at the CD3,

as per suggestion I got a magnet and placed it under the drawer to simulate it being closed, the spindle spun up to rotate the disc and the laser mover sideways slightly and upwards before dropping back down when nothing read. That all looked ok tbh

checked if the spindle had dropped looked ok nice and tight and not rubbing

tried 2 different pucks same result no change no sound of puck slipping either,

so as stated previously the player spins up when in close the drawer, reads the cd and displays how many tracks.

I press play spins up but doesn't go past first second regardless of what track selected eg 1.01, 2.01 etc stopping or skipping tracks same result. Only using buttons on front panel not on remote but should not make any difference.

ok so ideas where this leaves me? or what I can try next?

cheers

It looks as if the optical unit is managing to focus and the TOC is being read which is all good news. Servo looks to be working enough to get the unit near the start of each track but maybe not accurately enough for it to unmute and start playing. Is the head moving when you select a different track? I'm not a CD player expert but with this sort of scenario I would normally reach for the service manual and get the scope out to check eye pattern etc. Before all that though have a look at the basics. Are all the power supply rails at the correct voltage and relatively clean? Power supply faults can cause all sorts of strange behaviour that doesn't make sense when troubleshooting. With a unit of that age I wouldn't be surprised to find a few dried up capacitors etc.
There's some information here: https://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cditrbchr
Whatever happens please resist the urge to 'adjust' anything. Moving presets will just compound the problems and can make it almost impossible to fix (as well as sometimes damaging the optical unit)
Good luck!

Wow thanks for the link loads of information on there.

Will try to find a drawing so I know what I am looking for inducey check voltage etc. I only have a basic multimeter so limited to what I can test tbh

This is indicative of a laser on it's way out. Every time I've seen this fault it's been cured by a new laser head.

advertisement

Back