advertisement

Naim CD player servicing

Ptah

pfm Member
Just wondered if anyone knew the cost of either the Naim service option or any third party equivalents, with or without new laser (if available). Player concerned is CDX.

Hi, talk to MJS. He serviced my CD2 about 4 years ago. Can’t remember the cost now but do remember thinking it was very reasonable. Cracking job as well.

CDX lasers (VAM1205/CDM12.4) are of unreliable, and poor quality supply. The player is easily serviced however. Talk to Mitch on 0330 660 0402 who can give you pricing.

Hi, talk to MJS. He serviced my CD2 about 4 years ago. Can’t remember the cost now but do remember thinking it was very reasonable. Cracking job as well.

+1 from me as well they did my CDS II a couple of years ago. Excellent service

Good luck

If anyone has a CDI , CD2 or CD3 and a spare Hicap, I can turn that into an off-board power supply for the analogue stages like Naim did for the later players. All fully reversible of course.

Had my CDX2 serviced at the Naim factory about three years ago when it began skipping. Cost was £360 inc. carriage iirc.

Had my CDX2 serviced at the Naim factory about three years ago when it began skipping. Cost was £360 inc. carriage iirc.

Do you know if they replaced the laser, or changed the transport variant?

Just wondered if anyone knew the cost of either the Naim service option or any third party equivalents, with or without new laser (if available). Player concerned is CDX.

To my knowledge there are no genuine replacement CDX lasers or transports available, Naim certainly don't have any. There are cheap Chinese CDX lasers on eBay but from experience these are best avoided.

If your CDX is skipping I have found that there is not much you can do, servicing did not cure mine. Perhaps get a CDX2 for which Naim hold replacements. They sound pretty similar, though the CDX2 is a little more relaxed.

The phone number in the above post doesn’t seem to be working? The number to this company is suspended said on the message?

Regards,

Martin

Is there a time span for the service , also if using a off board power supply ie a xps is there less to be gained by servicing the cd player.

Thanks. I'll have to decide if that's worth it (to me).
I don't have any real problem apart from the occasional skip. Cleaning the CD meticulously and using the later puck (without the rubber bands) helps.
PS just noticed you're referring to CDX2 anyway.

Is there a time span for the service , also if using a off board power supply ie a xps is there less to be gained by servicing the cd player.

I reckon the CD players will go 20 years between needing services. It's funny you should mention the off-board XPS though. The original version ran the caps at the absolute limit, and many cases if your mains supply was near or over 240v, above their limit. This results in the main caps failing catastrophically causing all sorts of CD player problems and crappy audio. I've seen many dead XPS power supplies.

I reckon the CD players will go 20 years between needing services. It's funny you should mention the off-board XPS though. The original version ran the caps at the absolute limit, and many cases if your mains supply was near or over 240v, above their limit. This results in the main caps failing catastrophically causing all sorts of CD player problems and crappy audio. I've seen many dead XPS power supplies.

Is the CDPS more 'robust' than XPS?

Also, owning both CDS and CDSII, and finding the former the more musically satisfying, as I've only run the CDSII from the CDPS, I've always wondered what, if any, benefit the CDSII's 'natural partner' might bring, in comparison?

The CDPS was a dual polarity Hicap and digital supply in one box with two transformers. As such the caps are rated higher in the CDPS.
The XPS was cobbled together out of a Supercap transformer and 40v caps running at 40v or more.

The CDS2 is very musical but the original 16bit TDA1541A version still makes me smile when I hear it. I reckon my CDI with an off-board supply gets me quite close to that.

Funnily enough when I listened to the CDX yesterday - first time I'd played one for about 15 years - it still sounded great (on its own) and actually reminded me (musically) of the CDI, which the CDX2 or CDS3 never did. Problem with the CDI was that the puck wouldn't stop slipping - constant ERRs. Once the CDX gets going it seems happy to continue. On the subject of the PSUs, I never thought the original XPS added much to the party. The XPS2 did, but the fuses would blow when you turned it on!

advertisement

Back