advertisement

Naim = bright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin,

The road to nowhere looms ahead.

You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.

If you bang your head against a brick wall long enough you'll eventually discover it only accomplishes a sore head.

best of luck,

dave

He gave me the intelligence to perform such testing (which I've done) and also the ability to discount nonsense when I see it.

Perhaps you'd like to explain how 15Khz manages to get through the equipment supports, or through the air sufficient to become detectable as a microphonic effect?

Magic Foo.

He gave me the intelligence to perform such testing and also the ability to discount nonsense when I see it.

Arrogance too? Because this so-called testing of yours, that you're slamming Dave's opinion with, is garbage. Pseudo-science that is so dumb it's laughable. That a tap with you finger proves something! Oh yeah, you've taught Dave a thing or two eh?

Firstly, the only question your test address is whether or not a single slight impact causes an electronic device to output signal. Unfortunately, that's got nothing to do with what you want to know. An analogy might be to say:

I sat my TV remote control in a sealed lead box, did not press any buttons, and it did not emit a signal. Therefore, putting the remote in the box does not cause distortion in the signal!

All you have done is establish that a single impact does not cause the amplifier to emit signal. What you want to know is does multi-frequency vibration effects the performance of the amplifier when it is in the processes of passing signal.

As your test does not encompass either of the two real world realities relevant to the issue, the nature of the vibration or the type of effect you're trying to emulate, it is utterly worthless. Of course, being a know all, you won't concede this and will probably come back ranting on with accusations and diversionary excuses. Fair enough, knock yourself out.

NB: Please note I have not taken a side on the argument. I am merely pointing out the shortcomings of your test.

Arrogance too? Because this so-called testing of yours, that you're slamming Dave's opinion with, is garbage. Pseudo-science that is so dumb it's laughable. That a tap with you finger proves something! Oh yeah, you've taught Dave a thing or two eh?

Firstly, the only question your test address is whether or not a single slight impact causes an electronic device to output signal. Unfortunately, that's got nothing to do with what you want to know. An analogy might be to say:

I sat my TV remote control in a sealed lead box, did not press any buttons, and it did not emit a signal. Therefore, putting the remote in the box does not cause distortion in the signal!

All you have done is establish that a single impact does not cause the amplifier to emit signal. What you want to know is does multi-frequency vibration effects the performance of the amplifier when it is in the processes of passing signal.

As your test does not encompass either of the two real world realities relevant to the issue, the nature of the vibration or the type of effect you're trying to emulate, it is utterly worthless. Of course, being a know all, you won't concede this and will probably come back ranting on with accusations and diversionary excuses. Fair enough, knock yourself out.

NB: Please note I have not taken a side on the argument. I am merely pointing out the shortcomings of your test.

Nonsense. The tapping test is perfectly valid. A tapping will stress any mechanical microphony far more than any amount of audio vibration. Consequently, if tapping valves or other components results in no sound from the loudspeakers, there is no way at all that audio from the loudspeakers will. Consequently, any thought that mounting of the amplifier concerned will have any effect on the sound is totally fanciful.

S.

Nonsense. The tapping test is perfectly valid. A tapping will stress any mechanical microphony far more than any amount of audio vibration. Consequently, if tapping valves or other components results in no sound from the loudspeakers, there is no way at all that audio from the loudspeakers will. Consequently, any thought that mounting of the amplifier concerned will have any effect on the sound is totally fanciful.

S.

I have tried the tapping test and heard nothing but there most definitely was a difference when we changed stands, even my missus heard it. There must be more to this than you are testing for

S.

That's an odd post considering you're not bothered about the sound made by loudspeakers. Soon you'll be claiming this ridiculous tapping test should be performed when music is playing.

My loudspeakers sound better with the crossovers mounted externally. What are the measurements that would show the reason why this is? Just curious...

The tapping test is perfectly valid. A tapping will stress any mechanical microphony far more than any amount of audio vibration.

The amount of mechanical energy transferred to the component is not the issue, the type is.

If you stand a tuning fork upright in a block of wood it will vibrate in sympathy with even a relatively low-level audio signal at the right frequency. If you hit the top of the fork one sharp blow with a sledgehammer it won't!

You guys are so desperate to prove your theories that any old evidence will do. Even if it's irrelevant. The funny thing is that you call it scientific when it's the opposite.

That's an odd post considering you're not bothered about the sound made by loudspeakers. Soon you'll be claiming this ridiculous tapping test should be performed when music is playing.

My loudspeakers sound better with the crossovers mounted externally. What are the measurements that would show the reason why this is? Just curious...

Distortion is where I would look to see what the improvement actually was. I would also look at the crossover frequencies although I think that unlikely. If the crossover frequencies haven't changed and distortion isn't changed, then I would put it down to imagination, although I can see a reason for an improvement in distortion with crossovers removed from the cabinet.

S.

The amount of mechanical energy transferred to the component is not the issue, the type is.

If you stand a tuning fork upright in a block of wood it will vibrate in sympathy with even a relatively low-level audio signal at the right frequency. If you hit the top of the fork one sharp blow with a sledgehammer it won't!

You guys are so desperate to prove your theories that any old evidence will do. Even if it's irrelevant. The funny thing is that you call it scientific when it's the opposite.

Nonsense. Hit a tuning fork with a sledgehammer and it will resonate, at the same frequency it would with a light tap, only it will do it louder.

If an amplifier isn't affected by tapping with a hard object, it won;t be affected by whatever support it's on. No ifs or buts.

S.

Not necessarily true, if you hit it hard enough it will vibrate non sinusoidally.

Or if you hit it in the wrong place, on the top rather than the side.

Besides, it's only an illustration. The point is that you can't extrapolate one conclusion from a test which can only possibly confirm another.

Or if you hit it in the wrong place, on the top rather than the side.

Besides, it's only an illustration. The point is that you can't extrapolate one conclusion from a test which can only possibly confirm another.

This particular test, that of tapping the component with a hard object, tests that component's susceptibility to microphony. It is a very severe test, far more severe than that component would ever be subjected to with audio. Consequently, if it passes the tapping test, it will pass any amount of audio energy falling on the component.

It is therefore a sensible test to check whether microphony can even be considered an issue.

S.

For the tapping test to work, may I respectfully suggest the DUT should be 'decoupled' from its rigid support. Perhaps a partially inflated tyre tube could allow sufficient freedom of movement . Then a sledgehammer should be brought into play. :p

This particular test, that of tapping the component with a hard object, tests that component's susceptibility to microphony...

Yip, that's what you keep saying. Just repeat the same thing over and over and ignore the facts you don't like. I understand that it's utterly impossible to win an argument with someone who knows everything but I'm sure that there will be some people who get what I'm saying and maybe think a little more openly than you.

You guys can think, believe and do what you like, it's a free-ish country. Some of us know that you are not always right, even if you don't.

Yip, that's what you keep saying. Just repeat the same thing over and over and ignore the facts you don't like. I understand that it's utterly impossible to win an argument with someone who knows everything but I'm sure that there will be some people who get what I'm saying and maybe think a little more openly than you.

You guys can think, believe and do what you like, it's a free-ish country. Some of us know that you are not always right, even if you don't.

If "you guys" refers to me, I don't believe anything. All views I hold are as a result of reasoning, knowledge and experience. It takes all three before I accept anything as likely until better information is available.

S.

Pig, look up 'impulse response' to see why your objection and analogy are not very valuable.

Paul

However he can certainly prove that certain elements within the system are transparent, at least where the electronics are concerned.
If we take say 20 competently designed amplifiers or dacs and determine via a blind test that they all sound the same (not difficult), we have a pretty good reference point for comparison. So if Serge's amplifier were to also sound indistinguishable from the other 20, we've demonstrated transparency beyond any reasonable doubt.

err no.. actually all you've proved there is that all 21 amplifiers are audibly indistinguishable from each other. Transparency means something completely different from this. At least technically it does. Technically it means introduces zero.. as in absolutely no distortion.. to this extent no amplifier is transparent. At best they are only audibly indistinguishable from each other. So if you want to continue using the term transparent then qualify it by stating "audibly transparent". So the scenario above doesn't demonstrate transparency beyond a reasonable doubt, only that they are all audibly indistinguishable beyond a reasonable doubt.

err no.. actually all you've proved there is that all 21 amplifiers are audibly indistinguishable from each other. Transparency means something completely different from this. At least technically it does. Technically it means introduces zero.. as in absolutely no distortion.. to this extent no amplifier is transparent. At best they are only audibly indistinguishable from each other. So if you want to continue using the term transparent then qualify it by stating "audibly transparent". So the scenario above doesn't demonstrate transparency beyond a reasonable doubt, only that they are all audibly indistinguishable beyond a reasonable doubt.

Transparency is generally recognised, at least amongst those who I've dealt with professionally in audio, as passing, or being able to pass a straight-wire bypass test. I agree it does not mean zero distortion, and if one wants to be pedantic (or precise, depending on your viewpoint) it should be qualified as "audibly" transparent. However, in this thread, I don't think there is any doubt as to the meaning of "transparent" in this context.

S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back