advertisement

Naim boxes to integrated? Suggestions

Simon-C

pfm Member
Hi All

Just moved house and am thinking of consolidating naim into a single amp solution.

Currently have a Linn DS into Olive 82/Hi/250, I also have a modded SNAPS powering a headline.

Current speakers are WB arcs. These were great in our last place where the small room suited them.

We now have a much bigger room, and as I like the WB sound I managed to get some curves from the 'bay at a good price.

I'd like to look at simplifying things.

One option would be to sell my naim gear and get a good integrated.

Another would be use the preamp stage in the DS and get a power amp that the DS will supply.

I'm tempted to think about some valves as well, the WB range apparently works well with some valve amplifiers.

Any advice would be most welcome

Simon

Hi Matt and CK

I suppose I'm looking at what I can get for the naim gear, plus a nap 180 I have spare, with a bit extra thrown in....so 3-4K

Used / exdemo ok for me

Devialet looks interesting, don't know much about them, they are not exactly cheap though!
Looking at the specs, does a deviate talk to a NAS using UpnP?

Simon

Keep the pre on show and hide the power and Hi-Cap - then it will look like an integrated and not sound worse (won't cost anything either).

-----------------

Oh, on second reading - sounds like you need/want a Devialet- not cheap but if you sell all the gear you don't use, or will be replacing, it is within reach for little, if any, outlay.

Keep the pre on show and hide the power and Hi-Cap - then it will look like an integrated and not sound worse (won't cost anything either).

:D, yes that certainly would be the cheapest

I'd quite like to ditch the NACA5 as well, used to have black link but AA audio doesn't seem to sell this anymore

That cable is forged in the devils own cable foundry

You can use different cable to NacA5 - don't dump your amplification just because of the speaker cable! The whole Naim amps and Naim cable match issue is vastly overstated by both Naim's fans and by their detractors - loads of cables work fine.

I'd quite like to ditch the NACA5 as well, used to have black link but AA audio doesn't seem to sell this anymore

Indeed, 'tis the most unruly cable known to man and a royal PITA!

Witch Hat Audio have a Naim compatible cable that would suit.

Also don't overlook Mogami and Van Damme.

Simon

I've used Chord Rumour "Install" cables with my 250 for years without any problems It's thin enough to get down a 20mm conduit, it's silver plated copper, Teflon insulated. Not that flexible but works fine.

eddie

Hi Matt and CK

I suppose I'm looking at what I can get for the naim gear, plus a nap 180 I have spare, with a bit extra thrown in....so 3-4K

Used / exdemo ok for me

Devialet looks interesting, don't know much about them, they are not exactly cheap though!
Looking at the specs, does a deviate talk to a NAS using UpnP?

Simon

Supernait 2? Getting lots of good press from owners and reviewers...

You all seem keen for me to keep my naim!

I've had naim now for 20+ years

I suppose its a case of new house, all change

But, if there was an integrated that would work well with the DS and WB curves, where would be a good place to start?

:D, yes that certainly would be the cheapest

I use Avondale Black Link with my active DBLs and it's fantastic stuff. Why is it not available anymore? The last lot I bought came directly from the manufacturer (whose name I can't remember but they were UK based) whose name/details were on the shipping label. If you call Les he will be able to tell you what the current supply situation is. I can' believe that Avaondale have discontinued it. It's far too good!

Les, can you help out here?

What DS do you have ?

I would look for a power amp to match the WB. (The idea of Naim and WB sounds a bit harsh and lean to me)

Then feed the power amp with the DS, or if needed to upgrade to a better DSM if you need the extra connectivity etc... The later DS's have better sounding internal digital volume controls than the original models.

Active speaker would have been a good option, then the DS straight to speakers.

I wouldn't give up easily on the Linn DS architecture and ease of use. Plus they are very capable in the sound department.... The Arc's worked well with Linn systems when I have demo'd them.

You all seem keen for me to keep my naim!

I've had naim now for 20+ years

I suppose its a case of new house, all change

But, if there was an integrated that would work well with the DS and WB curves, where would be a good place to start?

I'm honestly not bothered what you keep/buy one way or the other - but then I wouldn't choose your WB speakers either ;). From your posts, it just seems your reasons for wanting to change are rather vague, change for the sake of it supported by rather tenuous justification...

Obvious choice for an integrated - well, you may not have noticed, but Naim make a whole bunch, then there is Rega, ATC - loads of them; the DV integrated has already been mentioned.

Is this one of those games where we have to guess what amp you are thinking of and then say that? If it is, can you just say the amp in question - then we can all agree and save pages of random speculation.

I'm honestly not bothered what you keep/buy one way or the other - but then I wouldn't choose your WB speakers either ;). From your posts, it just seems your reasons for wanting to change are rather vague, change for the sake of it supported by rather tenuous justification...

Obvious choice for an integrated - well, you may not have noticed, but Naim make a whole bunch, then there is Rega, ATC - loads of them; the DV integrated has already been mentioned.

Is this one of those games where we have to guess what amp you are thinking of and then say that? If it is, can you just say the amp in question - then we can all agree and save pages of random speculation.

Nope, I genuinely have no fixed ideas, not looking for justification of a preconceived notion (I realise this is probably forum heresy)

Principally want to go from 5 boxes of amps / headphone stage to one box

Keen to stick with the Linn DS source, like WB speakers.

Liking the Teddy Pardo box, may be tricky to audition though

Cheers for the input

Simon

I have a slightly older Akurate DS with Dynamic, running cara

Are you suggesting DS into a Linn Power amp?

Simon
What DS do you have ?

I would look for a power amp to match the WB. (The idea of Naim and WB sounds a bit harsh and lean to me)

Then feed the power amp with the DS, or if needed to upgrade to a better DSM if you need the extra connectivity etc... The later DS's have better sounding internal digital volume controls than the original models.

Active speaker would have been a good option, then the DS straight to speakers.

I wouldn't give up easily on the Linn DS architecture and ease of use. Plus they are very capable in the sound department.... The Arc's worked well with Linn systems when I have demo'd them.

advertisement

Back