Naim Biamping

• Naim

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Biamping

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MLov

Hello,
I have a Naim setup with NDS/XPS, SN3/HiCap. Any experience to add an NAP200DR for Biamping?
Is it an uppdating for the money?
Regards

How much better this might sound in your system, I couldn't say, and it will depend largely on your speakers, and how much they could benefit from the extra power. It's easy to set up on a Supernait, with its biamp RCA output terminals.
If you are looking for a used 200, you might save some cash by looking for an older non-DR version. The DR regulators are only in the preamp PSU section, which you would not be using, so a good non-DR version might be just as good.

F.w.i.w., I bi-amped my big ProAcs with 4 x 135s yonks ago. Yes, there was more control, but the end didn't really justify the means. Had to try, that's all !:)

Back in the old days (when I was a Naim dealer) I tried bi-amping with Naim amps - which is easy to do with the right cables. Now I’m prepared to admit that the differences may well be speaker dependant, but at the time (and with the speakers available to me) the difference was minimal compared to upgrading the amplification to the model above. So, bi-amping with Nap140’s sounded nothing like as good as using a single Nap250, for example.

Hello,
I have a Naim setup with NDS/XPS, SN3/HiCap. Any experience to add an NAP200DR for Biamping?
Is it an uppdating for the money?
Regards

Looking for more in Naim hiearchy or difficult speakers/room ?

You might have purchased wrong, the SN3 is just launched weeks ago.

As you allready have HC, you should consider 282/82 + 250 or 300

Biamp is a con, no improvement ime

I wouldn’t personally say that bi-amping is an outright con, but I would say (from my experience) that the benefits are minimal compared to spending the same money elsewhere.

AFAIK, Naim don't recommend bi-amping.

Personally, I tend to look at integrated amps as just that, integrated, and would only start adding a pre or power amp as a stepping-stone to a pre/power.

As PerF points out, you have a new amp, to which you've already added a Hi-Cap - what is it that you are trying to achieve? Do you not have sufficient power? Are are you unhappy with the musical performance?

AFAIK, Naim don't recommend bi-amping.
People often say this, and I suspect that stems in part from the fact that they do not, and with good reason, recommend biwiring, and of course, they have a history of active biamping, which is another thing altogether. If they thought it was such a bad thing, they wouldn't have put a dedicated biamp output on the Supernait. I suspect the reason that they have put this on the Supernait only is that it provides a cost effective way to drive more demanding speakers, which you would otherwise need to jump up to a 282/250 to achieve. That's an expensive jump compared to just adding a 200 if you already have a Supernait, and just need more power to drive your speakers.

I used to bi-amp with two NAP140's, couldn't say it made a real difference but the speakers weren't exactly hard to drive.

advertisement

Back