advertisement

Naim AV2 and NAC 72??

gorwig

pfm Member
Having used an AV2 as the hub of my Naim system for a while the dreaded 'what if I get more kit' bug has struck!
My question is will I be able to connect an olive 72 through the av2 to serve as a preamp to my cd and turntable? I know that I'm going to need an outboard psu as well.

Use the 72 for the front left and right channels, fed from the AV2. Then when you play CDs the AV2 is out of the chain. Connect tape out on AV2 to tape out on 72, then set volume at, say, 12 o'clock and set up the AV2 levels.:)

So, form what you say gents there is no unity gain input on the 72 unlike the later 122 etc?

With my set up I find I use nearer 2.00pm not 12.00 Oclock due to my less sensitive front speakers and with analogue out from the BR I have very little trimming on db to be done.

For getting the volume consistently correct between music and film, I make sure I have a reference point for my line of sight. ( my head a consistent distance back and the top left corner of the pre lined up with a mark on the back wall )

If you don't do this I found I was 2db plus out which mucks up the film front sound integration

So it seems to me that a later black box preamp would be more convenient. Would there be any sonic improvements from a 122x powered from a poweramp over a 72 and hicap????

I have a 72 supercap and an av2 and have to say the 72 is very very good,only downside no remote and unity gain. I found swapping the power amp leads(135s) to the av2 for films and to the 72 supply for music is the best option or you loose clarity on the films by going through 2 pres.

advertisement

Back