advertisement

Naim Audio ‘bolt down’ Nap 250 power switch

Rallye_punk

pfm Member
Anyone know what model ref these are? I have an old one I took out from another 250 but this is not the correct one, however it would do the job if I can’t source the original. I’ve attached pics of the ‘incorrect’ one and also the correct version. Pics of the correct one are in situ and it’s impossible to get access without taking it all apart. I want a spare just in case this goes. Also the green lens and white filament behind it. If you can buy the whole thing with lens that would be decent. Any advice appreciated cheers.

I have a load of photos but no way of hosting them as the nazis at photobucket have stopped providing the image embedding option with their free service. So if anyone has suggestions or they can be emailed, that would be good thanks!!

I had a 250BD, now sold, and my 160BD. Both switches are different to each other, and neither appeared to take the standard bulbs usually advised for this age of amp. o_O
I've just bought a whole load of spare bulbs for the 160, as it sends to go through them more regularly than it should.

In 1977 the switches were changed. I have a NAP160 a NAP250 invoice date March 1977. I also have two NAP250s invoice June 1977. The June amps have a different switch from the earlier amps.

The March 250 is s/n 542 the later ones are s/n 840 & 849.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Well my story is that I bought a newwer Nap 250 and at some point some heathen has swapped out the switch as it must've failed but they'd used an older style one, not quite the same visually as the standard Naim one but not correct for the new type either so I swapped it out for the correct type. However that was a few years ago and not sure if you can get those now let alone the originals for the bolt down 250's.

Here is a pic of a bd 250 you should be able to zoom in to see the front of how the switch differs from the newer type. This is the one I have but I want a replacement and the lens etc too.

edit-1416.jpg

Have a word with Witchhat, they might have a correct spare. Don't get the ones off ebay, they ask a stupid price, and it's no guarantee it will be the right one.

That is the same as the my 84x serial number amps. On one my amps my father took advantage of the fact that these are change over switches. It is now wired so that it is on when the button is out rather than when pushed in.

That is the same as the my 84x serial number amps. On one my amps my father took advantage of the fact that these are change over switches. It is now wired so that it is on when the button is out rather than when pushed in.

Agreed, same version in my old 250, serial 911.

I think these switches (or the current equivalent) are part the EOA 31 range available from both RS and CPC Darnell. The prices for the lenses makes interesting reading when you look these up on these suppliers websites and compare with some Hifi and eBay retailers.

I think these switches (or the current equivalent) are part the EOA 31 range available from both RS and CPC Darnell. The prices for the lenses makes interesting reading when you look these up on these suppliers websites and compare with some Hifi and eBay retailers.

I hear what you are saying re price but most 'normal' customers cannot be bothered to go researching what they need and would rather just buy what they know to be the correct part from a reputible seller. I've used the ebay shops before and only had good service tbf. As I said in the other thread regrding the green lenses you cannot get the later types anymore I am 100% sure of this and will eat my own hat if someone can prove otherwise (i've done my own extensive research), I mean the exact type used by Naim not some mickey mouse copy by RS Pro etc. The model numbers quoted by people in other threads are incorrect.

I am hoping this is not the case with the bolt down units but it would not surprise me as they are older.

The RS listing is for a Swiss company's product. The original switch is unavailable as it is obsolete. Without taking the switch out of an amp I can't confirm that the one I've been looking at will fit the existing apperture. The switch I'm looking at fits a 16mm hole.

The CPC Farnell order code is SW02392. This uses a different bulb from the original telephone slide bulb.

The RS listing is for a Swiss company's product. The original switch is unavailable as it is obsolete. Without taking the switch out of an amp I can't confirm that the one I've been looking at will fit the existing apperture. The switch I'm looking at fits a 16mm hole.

The CPC Farnell order code is SW02392. This uses a different bulb from the original telephone slide bulb.

Thanks, but looking at that it doesn't have the white plastic square piece inside the opening as per the one in the photo above so I am not sure this is the correct type? It has to be an EOA switch as they are all by EAO as are the later versions it's just figuring out which one will fit and work and look right, and have the same green lens etc.

@Rallye_punk If you look up the lens for this switch it appears come with the white mounting section. In use you can separate them and fit a label printed on clear plastic so that it is illuminated by the bulb sandwiched between the white diffuser and the coloured lens.

The EAO switches are Modular in design and you can mix and match to build bespoke switches for specific purposes.

If its using a t5.5 telephone slide I can offer You a green 48v t5.5 led array as used in later CB 250s and 135s. These are like hens teeth so it would need to be a tenner .

advertisement

Back