Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim Armageddon lighting

Discussion in 'audio' started by joethebest, Dec 20, 2019.

1. joethebest

joethebest Member

Hi,
    can someone explain to me why the naim-logo is not illuminated after switching on?
    Naim piggy bank?

2. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

Armageddon uses a hicap trafo and both secondary windings are in series to yield the 110v or so to power the motor , I suppose the saftey regs might put a damper on using that many Vs to power the nadi then there is the diode needed to rectify it, perhaps making it not perform too well.

3. HansW

HansW pfm Member

The explanation provided by Naim was that the diode providing the light had a negative effect om sound quality.

Hans

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Ah yes, the Emperor's new diode effect.

martin clark and Shadders like this.
  5. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

There has never been a illuminated logo on the Armageddon. The official line was that it would degrade the sound but I suspect that it was power dissipation in any dropper resistor or flicker due to AC that would have the problem.

6. joethebest

joethebest Member

If that's the reason why not with the hicap?

7. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

That PSU was the greatest rip-off of all times. A box with a transformer: an expensive joke.

8. joethebest

joethebest Member

Just like your contribution?

suzywong likes this.
  9. HansW

HansW pfm Member

I don’t know.
    Hans

10. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

They just couldn't be arsed, rectifiers, smoothing caps, dropper resistors all for an LED. If it bothers you a cheap high quality smps could be fed off the mains input, just make sure it's adequately filtered not to have any effect.

11. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

You are kidding, surely ?

12. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

No, I remember being told the same by Naim at the time.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

They could have illuminated it with a neon and a 470k resistor. Cost 20p. Series resistor on an LED would generate heat. Say a 5W resistor (20 mA at 240V) is quite chunky and will get warm. Even if a geddon runs on 110V you are still into 2 or 3W.

14. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

The Hicap is a DC power supply. Dropping DC to an LED is trivial. The Armageddon is an AC power supply. I guess they didn't want to introduce a DC offset, however small, by rectifying the output.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Theres no need to rectify the feed to an LED, it's a diode. It won't flicker visibly because the response time to emit light is more than 1/50 sec.

16. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Er, no; the reason to is that LED reverse voltage tolerance is unspecified , and usu lousy.
    5-7v vDC in reverse will be about the max any LED will likely take repeatedly; and more will kill 'em dead: PN forward biased junctions yes, general purpose diodes, no: not by a long shot

(usu way to protect LEDs in ac applications as well as suitable series R, is just add cheapo 1n4007 in anti-parallel, limiting the reverse voltage to c 0.7v; cost, <1p)

17. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

They ought to change their name to ‘Naim OCD.’

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I didn't know that Martin, thanks. Still, that's an easy fix. The heat from the series R is still a headache though.

19. hp1

hp1 pfm Member

The voltage could be reduced if one (or both)of the centre tap wires was used .

20. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I seem to remember the Naim dealer had an LED kit that could be retrofitted to my 'Geddon if I was that bothered about it. I wasn't.