advertisement

Naim and B&W speakers...

Minio

Kind of Sort of Not really...
or not?
I'm thinking of some floor standers to go with my 72 /TPR4 /RSL /250dr.

On paper the likes of B&W CM4 or CDM7's look like a good bet.
But...
I seem to recall a few comments on audio forums that B&W's are not that good a match with Naim and perhaps I should be looking more towards Neat or Proac for example?

Your electronic is so good (and almost perfect IMO !) that everything would sound very good at the end of it, including B&W speakers.
Nevertheless, some Proac Response series will sound more natural than the other two, if that’s what you’re looking after.
When you add an Avondale TPR4 in the game, all of the Naim’s harshness is gone making it much easier to match with almost any speakers............and a 250DR is a workhorse for any kind of load, impedance or woofer diameter !
I would be curious to hear your electronic driving a pair of humble Proac Response D2...........

naim goes with loads of brands , i cannot see any reason why not B&w . fantastic match . had plenty of b&w in my time and one naim amp

friend [ a fishie] used sn2 with 804s for some while.

I use an SN2 with B & W XT4's sounds good to me, next step is 804d3. I have a pair of Neat Iota's which I have used with the SN2 and they sound astonishing, so next might be Neat Xplorer. Decisions decisions!

You mean those tiny little iota thingies ? Almost got some for av system...I bet the sn2 nearly blew them up !!!

The 804d3 will certainly be excellent, it was a close call when upgrading from 804s , at the time the 804d was 6k and the very similar focal 1028be about 3.3k new. The focal was just as good at half the price. So that came

I have a 250 and did a home demo of 804D3 and they were incredible, loved them.
However my party was over when it was explained to me that they looked like Daleks and could not possibly stay.

I like a Dalek myself.

.......and a 250DR is a workhorse for any kind of load, impedance or woofer diameter !
Agreed. I’ve been using it with affordably priced speakers of yesteryear to very good effect. Feeding my Arcam CD 8se with some Nubiyan Twist through Rogers LS4a's the sound is very musical and accomplished with nothing obvious to complain about.

But. I've had this setup a couple of years now and curiosity is getting the better of me as to whether spending a bit more on the speakers would be worthwhile.
There are also a few Dynaudio Audience 70's about I am thinking of.
And Neat Motive sx1 might work for me as well.

I think Naim/B&W would be a fine match but the thing with speakers is you really need to hear them in your room if at all possible - more than any other component.

There are tons of alternatives - Kudos, Neat, PMC, Spendor, Proac come to mind. Also speakers harder than other things to move on s/h so I'd take your time and choose carefully.

the thing with speakers is you really need to hear them in your room if at all possible - more than any other component.
I have tried a number of 14 litre stand mounts with 8 inch woofers and not had any room issues that I’m aware of. I haven’t found one of that type that I disliked.
But I got to the point of having too many pairs so some moved on.

My listening area is approximately 3.3w x 3.5d x 2.3h in metres with no reverberation or reflective issues. With speakers pulled into the room away from walls there is good balance of bass weight and soundstage, both being ideal for the money, I would say.

In an earlier time and system I did get on quite well with Dynaudio floor standers in a slightly smaller room.
So might go that route. Gotta start somewhere I suppose.

naim goes with loads of brands , i cannot see any reason why not B&w . fantastic match . had plenty of b&w in my time and one naim amp

friend [ a fishie] used sn2 with 804s for some while.
That's my setup as well. ND5XS2 - SN2 - 804S. It sounds great to me, despite less than ideal room placement.

You can pick up ATC40S, passive for reasonable money & they will go well. There have been a couple for sale on the classified section here.

advertisement

Back