advertisement

Naim amp connections!

Blurboy

pfm Member
Can someone help a numpty. I've got at the moment a NAC42.5 a NAP110 and a SNAPS that was modified by Avondale. I can't seem to get them all work together. The 42.5 and 110 work perfectly, the SNAPS powers up fine, what I can't figure out is how to connect it all up, especially what leads do I require. I've got two 4 pin leads - do I need more or even a 5 pin. I'm pulling my hair out and I haven't much as it is. I've tried how Naim state on the back of the SNAPS but then I get the NAP powered up but not the NAC. I know I'm doing something really stupid but I don't know what :(

If anyone can email me or show pics that would be really appreciated.

Firstly don't connect up the power amp until you have the snaps to pre amp working ok, just in case something silly happens.

Now, its likely that the snaps has two power outputs instead of the standard single 24V Naim would have and will use a 5 pin cable if its Avondale modified. It wont be quite the same as intended by Naim. Open it up and have a look inside.

See if there are a pair of these inside... if so, nice :)

http://avondaleaudio.com/audiophile-hifi-diy/tracking-pre-regulator/

And if so do the output wires go to the connectors along with a 'zero' voltage.

Don't get stressed, we'll soon have this one sorted :)

you should only need two 4 pin ended leads. one carries the 24v from the snaps to the nac & signal from nac thru the snaps, the other carries just the signal on from snaps to the NAP.

now when i modded my snaps I wired the signal straight from nac to NAP, so not via the snaps.. maybe, this is how Avondale have wired the snaps to do:

check with Les is the short answer.

check with Les is the short answer.

Quite - it all depends if the SNAPS was dual railed, which if it's Avondaled it most probably is - in which case you will need a SNAIC5 (or equivalent Flashback cable) between the SNAPS and 42.5...or a SNAC4 and a blanking plug in the 5 pin socket...

But if you can open it up and take picx and post its help...otherwise we are all guessing...

If you're using the 4 pin lead from the snaps the 42.5 needs to havehave a link plug in the 5 pin socket

Tim

These were the mods done by Les

1) SNAPS 21019 - Rebuild using Capacitor, Shottky Rectifier and dual rail using new DIN sockets

2) SNAPS 5831 - Rebuild using Capacitor, Shottky Rectifier and TPR modules x 2

3) HiCap 101889 - Service using Kendal 22000uF Plus new tants

So this looks like what trancera quoted me. I will have a look and see. I got the SNAPS cheap and the previous owner assures me it's all good.

It would of course be easy to say see Les, but it ought to be easy for us to not bother him.

I would have though Les would make it 5 pin to match a Hicap lead, possibly not.

If you're using the 4 pin lead from the snaps the 42.5 needs to havehave a link plug in the 5 pin socket

Tim

It may not work at all with a 4 pin. In DR format it is usual ONLY to power the 5 pin socket...leaving the other sockets relaying the signal only.

Quick pics
2hzlttf.jpg

and
2mmsu2b.jpg

Think I will try Les if I can't sort it out here

As I thought - only the inner of the two new DINs has power---you'll need a SNAIC5 to power the 42.5.

And the signal will be relayed only via the other ring lock socket - so use that to the 110.

The pix must be SNAPS 21019 - the other one with the twin TPR modules in will sound significantly better.

So that's the third socket from the left as that's the only 5 pin socket on it! I then run the SNAIC5 to the NAC 42.5 into the socket marked Hicap. Many thanks Neil :)

yes thats it- its the classic dual rail mod for a snaps. fwiw have a look at the socket pins: its v straightforward actually, the two oranges are +24v (which now modded being 2 instead of 1) feed the NAC, the blues are signal, and the green ground.

enjoy.

I've finally got all the amps connected up and after a very brief listening session I can honestly say I can tell how tight the bass has become and a much more controlled sense of rhythm but also having it all running with a NAP250 must add to the overall sound. Very impressed so here goes :)

advertisement

Back