advertisement

Naim advice

LMKipper

Hello Pink Fishers

Hoping you might be able to offer me a bit of advice.

I inherited a few bits of Naim gear from a relative a little while back but not enough for a complete system. I received an NAC82, Olive Hicap, NAPSC and an Arcam Alpha 9 CD player. I've previously had a bit of an interest in hifi, so I already owned a Marantz PM7003 plus some Elac Debut speakers - not really world class stuff but it did the job.

With a bit of research and a few cables, I've been able to incorporate the Naim kit, using the Marantz as a power amp. It sounds good to my ears but I've always wondered if the Marantz was the real weak link (although I'm sure the speakers leave something to be desired too).

I've looked at buying a Naim power amp but I don't currently have the funds for the flash stuff. So the question I have is, do you guys think I'll notice much difference if I swap the Marantz for an entry level amp - such as a NAP90 - or would I be better off saving up and eventually getting a 180?

Thanks!

180 is an obvious choice. Another to consider which can be picked up for a song is a 150X. I had one for a while and was very impressed with it, punches well above its weight. You’ll be able to sell the Marantz easily of course.

Worth talking to a couple of the decent dealers to see what they’ve got, such as TomTom and Cymbiosis. Can often be no more expensive than some of the asking prices here and come with some back up.

A Nap 90, 100, 110, 140 or 150/150x/155xs will be fine with these Elac Debut
The higher hierarchy power amp risk revealing a mediocre source, resulting in worse final result.

90 (depend on version) are very similar as Nait 2 & 3 power section.
110, 140 & 180 contain very similar amp boards with differences in power supply.

Your 82/Hicap can be 20-30 years old, might need service.

If it was me I would save just a little longer and get a NAP250, you'll get a lot more out of it than the 180 although it is a very good amp and a good match for the 82. Another thing I would consider with the 82 is selling the Hicap and getting a Dual Teddycap that will power both sides of the 8s and also the NAPSC, it's a very good match for the 82, way better than either 2 hicaps or a Naim supercap and with the resale price of the Hicap it will cost next to nothing

if I was you I would sell the Naim gear. That would fetch you a tidy sum (well over £1000) and get some better speakers.

if I was you I would sell the Naim gear. That would fetch you a tidy sum (well over £1000) and get some better speakers.

Well yes, I’d possibly do the same. However, I sense the OP would like to utilise the inherited 82, which I can totally understand.

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the consensus is to sit tight and go for either a 180 or 250, depending on what comes up when.

I know logic dictates I'd be best selling the lot and buying a Uniti set up, or some other gear, but I'd prefer to keep this stuff as it was passed to me on the assumption I'd enjoy it.
I'll give that TeddyCap idea a look too.

...I'd prefer to keep this stuff as it was passed to me on the assumption I'd enjoy it.

That's a good enough reason to keep the stuff you have and the addition of a 180 or 250 as suggested, would make a great system.

It's funny how people rave about how good the Nait2 is while slating the NAP-90?
It is. It's even claimed by some that a Nait 2 sounds better than the relevant pre (32?) and NAP-90 in 2 boxes, which ought to be identical as they share circuit design. I've heard Nait 2 and 3, didn't like either, so I'm not a person to ask.

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the consensus is to sit tight and go for either a 180 or 250, depending on what comes up when.

I know logic dictates I'd be best selling the lot and buying a Uniti set up, or some other gear, but I'd prefer to keep this stuff as it was passed to me on the assumption I'd enjoy it.
I'll give that TeddyCap idea a look too.
I'm sure you will, the 82 is a nice preamp, more refined than the 72 or 52. Don't forget you can get them serviced at either Naim, Class A or Witchhat so they are as good as new (or even better)

It is. It's even claimed by some that a Nait 2 sounds better than the relevant pre (32?) and NAP-90 in 2 boxes, which ought to be identical as they share circuit design. I've heard Nait 2 and 3, didn't like either, so I'm not a person to ask.
I've had a Nait 1 and serviced Nait 3 at the same time and did some comparison w/rest of the system and room identical. Amidst a chorus of disbelief, I liked the Nait 3 better and, to me, it sounded more solid throughout the range. Should point out both were in a small room at meagre volume levels, rarely cranked up either of them. Of course this post was talking about the Nait 2 in the first place. :)

advertisement

Back