advertisement

Naim 72 to 52, any down side?

Hello Bob
Over 12 months ago I remember you advising me on Naim preamps. I had just switched from my 42.5 to my 72 because of the extra inputs available. I never liked the thinness of the 72 and much preferred the 42.5.
I tried various options of Les's and Neils boards and board removing options but the only thing what made it really better was the Teddy psu.
Unfortunately the madness of upgraditis had gotten hold and I ended up with a 52/Supercap which was and is very satisfying. But as I said the madness has taken hold and after a CB NAP250 which lifted it yet again I am now on a pair of 135's. And so it goes on ------

Pete the 42.5 is a peach, it does most things well but lacks detail which the 72 has and also speed; the 72 does need a hicap to bring back the weight and bounce.

I don't doubt the 52 is better, as it should be.

Hello Bob
Over 12 months ago I remember you advising me on Naim preamps. I had just switched from my 42.5 to my 72 because of the extra inputs available. I never liked the thinness of the 72 and much preferred the 42.5.
I tried various options of Les's and Neils boards and board removing options but the only thing what made it really better was the Teddy psu.
Unfortunately the madness of upgraditis had gotten hold and I ended up with a 52/Supercap which was and is very satisfying. But as I said the madness has taken hold and after a CB NAP250 which lifted it yet again I am now on a pair of 135's. And so it goes on ------

Pete, sorry I started you on the road to madness...;)

It could be that your experience has shown that there are quite big diferences between one Naim pre amp and another, of the same type.

Over the years I have owned 42, 62, 32.5, 2 x 72's. The warmest sounding was the 32.5 the thinnest sounding was my first 72. The 72 that I now use is warmer than the 42 and 62 but not as much as the 32.5. Wish I had never let that one go. I bought it from Rico and it was very special indeed.

Glad that the Teddycap worked out well!

All the very best, Bob

Bob
I've had 62, then 72 which was a big step up. Then bought an 82 which was slightly better than the 72 and certainly wouldn't have justifed its cost-to-change sonically (for me) but I needed remote facility.
Now have a 52/supercap and the difference over an 82/hicap* is easily in the realm of 62 to 72. The guy who bought my 82 said of the 52 before he left me, 'it sounds completely unforced' and I think that describes it very well.
*I didn't put the supercap on the back of the 82 before selling it so have no idea how near the 52 it would be.

p.s. somebody mentioned 135s in the mix. I bought Tim Jones' (see above) and it's now a bloody good system with the LP12/Aro/Troika/'geddon at the front.
No separate phono stage - I've found the cards in the 52 very capable.

Technically speaking, the NAC52, and NAC72 use the same circuit, the differences are in the ability of the NAC52 to accept more power supply rails, and the PCB layout is also different which may change a little too.

There are also a lot of discussions regarding SuperCap vs two hicaps (on NAC82/282). Here again, the SuperCap and the HiCap share exactly the same circuit (they also measure the same). In terms of number of regulators, the SuperCap is like 7 Hicaps, but not all of them are in use when connecting a NAC52. I don't see how a SuperCap can sound better or worse than two HiCaps, unless one is newer/older than the other.

The TeddySuperCap will be available very soon, few weeks.

Teddy

Technically speaking, the NAC52, and NAC72 use the same circuit, the differences are in the ability of the NAC52 to accept more power supply rails, and the PCB layout is also different which may change a little too.
Teddy

As you know Teddy power is everything, well almost. The teddy psu was the single biggest upgrade I did until I came across the 52/Supercap. The teddy psu actually made the 72 listenable, until then I couldn't abide it.

Teddy, but,but,but....... I've heard two Hicaps and a S/Cap on an 82 and without doubt the S/Cap sounds a lot better.

So can you do some R&D on me and lash up a S/Cap type supply for my 72? ;)

All the best, Bob

The guy who bought my 82 said of the 52 before he left me, 'it sounds completely unforced' and I think that describes it very well.

That was me, and yes, your system sounded absolutely sublime Mick. Hope you enjoy it! Mind you, with an LP12/'geddon/ARO/Troika on the front, which maybe has a more "musical" presentation than my Lingo/Ekos LP12, one would expect as much.

I just hope I get a similar gain when I swap my 102 for your 82!

Bloody hell, Gary. Haven't you swapped them yet? I'm usually like a kid at Christmas with new stuff and start connecting stuff before I get my coat off.
I've sent you an email but thanks again for a very agreeable selling experience. I'm sure you'll enjoy the 82.

Teddy, but,but,but....... I've heard two Hicaps and a S/Cap on an 82 and without doubt the S/Cap sounds a lot better.

So can you do some R&D on me and lash up a S/Cap type supply for my 72? ;)

All the best, Bob

I thought I read somewhere that the reason the supercap performs better in this case is that there is a common ground for the supply when using a supercap versus 2 hi-caps. Although Naim suggest it themselves using 2-Hicaps breaks Naim's golden rule of having the reference ground in the PSU where the audio signal is coming from, as the second hi-cap isn't routing the audio - or something like that :eek:

I thought I read somewhere that the reason the supercap performs better in this case is that there is a common ground for the supply when using a supercap versus 2 hi-caps. Although Naim suggest it themselves using 2-Hicaps breaks Naim's golden rule of having the reference ground in the PSU where the audio signal is coming from, as the second hi-cap isn't routing the audio - or something like that :eek:

That's an interesting point. The two HiCap grounds are indeed connected inside the Supercap creating a star ground in the SuperCap, but AFAIK they are also connected inside the NAC82/282, creating another star ground, or I'd dare say a ground loop (the ground wire of the two SNAIC-5 cables are connected to each other on both ends...)

Teddy

p.s. somebody mentioned 135s in the mix. I bought Tim Jones' (see above) and it's now a bloody good system with the LP12/Aro/Troika/'geddon at the front.
No separate phono stage - I've found the cards in the 52 very capable.

Glad you're enjoying them Mick - did you get them recapped?

BTW I bought the engagement ring that was part-funded by that sale and she said yes last weekend...

Tim

Good for you, Tim. I also married my long-term partner this summer.
No recap yet - they sound great. I know what my 250 sounded like when it needed recapping and we're nowhere near that. Got Darran at Class A 20 miles away who does excellent work at a very fair price so I'll drive them over to him when they're ready.
Probably get the Supercap done first and see what sort of difference it makes to the 52. It's '98 vintage and the received wisdom states that a recap will improve it although I'm sceptical because it sounds great as it is but it won't be money wasted whatever the result.
Good luck with the wedding.
Mick

Hi Bob, I went from a 32.5 to a 52 (orig.) Is there a downside? It depends upon your system and room, etc. Immediately, I had issues with phono RF/EM which the 32.5 did not have. Also, the warmth of the 32.5 was GONE replaced by much more detail and transparency. It's much more unforgiving with poor recordings. It's a huge leap so be expecting it to be much different. It will tend to show weaknesses in other areas if there are any.
The orig. 52 cannot be used with a Supercap PS. I am told the black burndy cables used on the 52/Supercap model are a big improvement over the orig. gray cables. I have not made that move as yet.

advertisement

Back