Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Naim 523 S/K boards - modification ?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by MJSM, Feb 3, 2022.

1. MJSM

MJSM Over 60 and barely alive

Just wondering if it is possible/practical to modify a 523 'S' type board to make a 'K' type to mate up with a Linn Troika cartridge. I would be putting this into an 82 pre-amp.

I understand that the 'S' variant is designed for general MC types and that the 'K' variant was specifically designed for the Linn Karma/Troika (since they have similar loading requirements ?).

Obviously the connectors are the same but how much of the circuitry is different, or is it just component values. Can I also ask what the main differences are with the various revisions as I understand they went up to /5.

I am sure this has been asked previously but a search did not bring anything up.

Cheers
    Mike

2. DuncanF

DuncanF pfm Member

S vs K is just component value changes. You can find quite a bit of info on PFM if you search for the 323 boards. Same as the 523 but the connectors are oriented differently for the earlier pre-amps.

3. a.palfreyman

a.palfreyman pfm Member

4. neiljadman

neiljadman Senior Member

So on the S variant the input cap/resistor combination is 6n8/470R. Simply change those two to 1n/560R - job done.

For a significant upgrade use a 0.1% Naked Z-foil resistor. And while you are in there replace the tantalum caps too - same values just a good reliable brand such as Kemet.

5. MJSM

Thanks all, as I suspected, it's not much work at all to convert.

6. MJSM

Can I assume that the capacitor (6n8) in question is the blue (PP ?) one nearest the 470R resistor at bottom left corner of the board ? and the tantalum caps, are they the larger (marked S.L.C.E) or smaller (red-ended) ones on the board ?

One last thing, can anyone recommend a decent replacement for the 6n8 capacitor, there is plenty of choice out there but I have no idea what to look for in terms of type, voltage, ESR etc, so a bit of a spec/data sheet would be very welcome - thanks.

Cheers

[​IMG]IMG_5301 by Mike, on Flickr