advertisement

Naim 52, dead channel

will1124

pfm Member
Weird thing, I just disconnected and moved my cds-52-135 from one room to the other and found one channel is dead. I swapped some cables and amps and pretty sure it is caused by the 52.

I used and multi-meter tested the burdy and it also looks fine. The unit was serviced in Salisbury by end of 2018 and shouldn't be caused aging components etc. Probably a easy fix? Anyone has experienced similar?

Thanks.

Are you sure you have the 135s connected correctly. There are two sockets on the back of each and I think you need to connect your cables to the correct one for each channel. On one amp it should be the left one and on the other the right one.

Yes, I even swapped the 4pin to XLR cable - both channels are dead after I swapped them.

I had similar problem on my Supernait 2. A while back, the right hand channel just stopped working. After a lot of swapping around of cables etc, it went back to the dealer, then they checked it because they said sometimes the link plug can fail, but it was OK on mine. They sent it back to Naim, who diagnosed it with a failed relay.
Luckily for me, it was all done under warranty. After getting it back, it has never sounded better, so not sure if anything else was done at the same time.

Was the Supercap/52PS serviced at the same time as the 52?

I'd suspect a faulty power supply rail, often a dying/dead tantalum capacitor on the regulators. They often go pop when powering equipment back up and any one of those in a rail that powers that half of the 52 will cause the issues you're having.

Was the Supercap/52PS serviced at the same time as the 52?

I'd suspect a faulty power supply rail, often a dying/dead tantalum capacitor on the regulators. They often go pop when powering equipment back up and any one of those in a rail that powers that half of the 52 will cause the issues you're having.

Yes, both 52 and ps were serviced at the same time. PS is unlikely to have fault but I will send both for an inspection.

Feeble suggestion before you send everything off. If you are 100% that all connections are kosher, power up and down a few times (but not concurrently) to see if anything happens. Odd that it's recently been serviced, as my 52 etc.was totally reliable for donkey's years, though a relay did go on my 552 at a later stage.

Yes, I even swapped the 4pin to XLR cable - both channels are dead after I swapped them.
I own 135s and 52- are u 100% certain the din-xlr s are connected properly. Red right and green left ( left and right looking at rear of amp).
Are both channels still out ? If only one, could you have a bad din xlr cable.
David

I own 135s and 52- are u 100% certain the din-xlr s are connected properly. Red right and green left ( left and right looking at rear of amp).
Are both channels still out ? If only one, could you have a bad din xlr cable.
David

I tested the din-xlr cables with multimeter, both work fine. The connection is 100% right, red right and green left. The cables are marked with L and R on the coloured bands.

advertisement

Back