advertisement

Naim 252/300 and Wilson Sophias

gazza

I have a NAC252/SuperCap/ NAP300 set up and am thinking of Wilson Sophias (or possibly the Duettes). Anyone have any experience with this combination?

First get the Statement Amps and the A W E S O M E wires and then you can go Wilson. Also screw the sophias, just get the new WAMM's when they come out. Probably $750k a pair. No biggie. (still a better value than the cables).

I have a NAC252/SuperCap/ NAP300 set up and am thinking of Wilson Sophias (or possibly the Duettes). Anyone have any experience with this combination?

You probably get a sensible reply on the Naim forum. I have the same amps with Rega CDP & TT but into SL2s so can't help you on that one.

I heard a 252/250.2 into Duettes and sounded sweet. Have a 252/300 too and often wondered what Wilsons would be like but haven't got round to demoing it.
Martin Colloms @ Hifi Critic tested the new Sophia's recently and he owns a NAP 300 he used during testing. He noted it was good but a.n.other amp (I can't remember which) gave more grip and control of the Sophia than the Naim. May be worth ordering the back-issue.

Gazza

I haven't heard that particular combination with the Sophia's but have heard the Nait 5i, Nait XS, and SuperNait 2 and they all sound very nice with the Sophia 3, the more recent SuperNait 2 particularly so.

Which Sophia? Although the mk1 knock any naim speaker over the atlantic, IMO. haven't heard DBL's though. they're surprisingly easy to power and sound stunning.

I love them, hence I bought a pair.

Which Sophia? Although the mk1 knock any naim speaker over the atlantic, IMO. haven't heard DBL's though. they're surprisingly easy to power and sound stunning.

I love them, hence I bought a pair.

Current version, Sophia 3. I'm also considering Wilson Benesch ACTs. Any observations, anyone? Which would be considered a better match for the Naim?

I heard a 252/250.2 into Duettes and sounded sweet. Have a 252/300 too and often wondered what Wilsons would be like but haven't got round to demoing it.
Martin Colloms @ Hifi Critic tested the new Sophia's recently and he owns a NAP 300 he used during testing. He noted it was good but a.n.other amp (I can't remember which) gave more grip and control of the Sophia than the Naim. May be worth ordering the back-issue.

heihei - I checked Martin Colloms reviews of both the Sophias and the NAP300 and can't find any reference to the performance of the components together (His reviews seem to focus tightly on the product he is reviewing and talk little about other components of the review system or compatibility). Could it have been a different review that you were thinking of - it sounds useful to me, so I'd love to track it down if possible.

I'll try and dig it out tonight - def a reference, although fleeting, of the combo.

In terms of Wilson Benesch, I've heard Arcs and Curves on Naim but not ACT. Very clean and precise, and great if you like that sort of thing, but for me a bit clinical and "thin", therefore lacking some emotion (although recognise others may consider this as colour).

I own Sophia 2s but have no experience of Naim and have no clue on your set up.
However I think it fair to say that you need top amplification to get the best out of Wilsons. Since buying my Wilsons I've spent far more upgrading the amps...it's a slippery slope.

MikeOz,

You are right but I'm afraid that I am already barrelling down the slippery slope. I originally went into my dealer for a Naim SuperUniti for about £3k or so. £27k later I'm still not satisfied. I have a "audio memory" of what I'm seeking which originated with a Linn/Naim sound in KJ LeisureSound just off Oxford Street in the 1980s. I wonder where this will end?!

AFAIK the 300 should drive about anything, and the Sophias are constructed to be an easier load than the other models from the Wilson range. So on paper: yes.

MikeOz,

You are right but I'm afraid that I am already barrelling down the slippery slope. I originally went into my dealer for a Naim SuperUniti for about £3k or so. £27k later I'm still not satisfied. I have a "audio memory" of what I'm seeking which originated with a Linn/Naim sound in KJ LeisureSound just off Oxford Street in the 1980s. I wonder where this will end?!

Ha Ha my audio quest also started at KJ. Sounds like the Wilsons should work. I've been very happy with mine and believe they're actually pretty decent value for money if you buy secondhand. Far better than the Proacs I used before.

gazza,
The Sophias will work well with a 300 but hope you have a largish room because they really need space round them to sound there best.
The Duettes are better close to walls.

Wilson designed the Sophia to be easy to drive and at one point even demonstrated them being driven by a Naim integrated amp to make the point.

Absolute Sounds were kind enough to set up a pair of Wilson Sophia 2 speakers in our living room for us to try for a couple of weeks. The amp was a fully serviced Naim 32.5/Hicap2/NAP135s. At the time, the Sophias were clearly the best sounding and thoroughly musical speakers that I ever heard at home. Sure, they revealed the ultimate limitations of the 32.5 pre-amp, but in a very gentle, endearing way, so music was always highly musical & enjoyable to listen to through this system.

Since then, the pre-amp was replaced by a Naim 52/Supercap, so it would be even better now.

In the end, my wife vetoed the Sophias, as their appearance was somewhat marmite-like. We ended up buying a pair of ART Alnico speakers, which are equally or even more fab. They are British too and I'm delighted to support the domestic industry.

In short then, a 252/300 will drive a pair of Wilson Sophia's easily & beautifully, so long as you like the way that this amp presents music. I've not heard a system with a 252 that I enjoyed, which is why I went for the 52 instead. YMMV.

Hope this helps, FT

Thanks for all the useful thoughts and advice. Looking forward to a home demo of the Wilsons and the WB ACTs as well.

advertisement

Back