advertisement

Naim 110 vs. 160

b-lilja

pfm Member
Hi all,

would like to get thoughts about the 110 vs. 160. I have a 110 now that I like a lot, with a 32.5/HC, but just curious about the 160 as an alternative. I listen to a wide range, jazz to classical to rock.

Just this week I have sold my last bit of Naim. However I have used the brand for 30 years and my favourite power amp is the 110 although almost the only CB/Olive one I haven't owned is the 160. I believe it is better in the same vein. Me I'd get another 110 and go mono.

My second naim power amp after a NAP140 was a CB 160 . The 160 was glorious especially in terms of dynamics and the 140 was no slouch . A NAP250 after was a comparitive disappointment . I understand the 160 was Julian Verekers personal favourite . My only qualification is that the NAP 250 can probably handle more difficult speakers than the 160 , but for easy loads I prefer the 160 . The 140 is essentially a 110 with uprated power supply .
Ian.

I have a 110 and a 160 and can't tell a bit of difference between them. But then my speakers are fairly easy to drive and I guess I don't play loudly enough for the power difference to matter.

I have a 110 and a 160 and can't tell a bit of difference between them. But then my speakers are fairly easy to drive and I guess I don't play loudly enough for the power difference to matter.

This. The only reason for upping the ante power wise is if your speakers need it. If they are an easy load, attention elsewhere would yield far more.

The 110 was usually partnered with the NAC42 which limited things somewhat...the 160 with the 12/12S, much better. But the 110 with another pre-amp eg 12/12s or 32.5 etc is lovely.

I run mono 110s and prefer this amp setup to my previous 250, the 110 is rather special.

The 160 will keep a phenomenal grip on dynamic bass and drums; (try something like Elvin Jones on Blue Note MM45, Gettin It Together). Now tell me the 110 can do the same. It can't, but it has a nice euphonic sound. BTW, I have excellent examples of both 110 and 160, recently serviced by Naim. NAP 160 my amp of choice.

No it can't, but a pair of 110 monos with a few well chosen tweaks certainly can.

A lot of interesting comments - thanks. I have Rega RS3's - I think considered very easy to drive. ?

So here's my system: Very well set up LP12 w Cirkus, Hercules, II, Grace 707, Ortofon 2M Blue, unrecapped 32.5/HC/110, NACA5, Rega RS3s. Where would you guys focus?

I think the system is terrific, except that at times music with a lot of complexity breaks down. It's hard to know though if that's the recording or the system.

I have friends with what are supposed to be "better", and I much prefer mine. It has terrific purity.

I think a TPR4 to the HiCap + a pair of Kendeils will make the most fundamental change,
you'll think you have upgarded everything.

It's astonishing, or to me was a bit hard to believe, actually.

Particularly if your system is loosing track of complexer passages, this to me is a sign for tired capacitors in the PS & the TPR4 delivers quite quicker than the old HiCap solution,
aside from the capacitors.

The effect is that even dynamic, complex music is delivered with seamless ease,
wheras before the PS seemed to go out of breath after a big dynamic hub..

Secondly I would look in direction of a aftermarket subchassis like Sole.
The effect astonishingly is similar to a good PS like TPR4, the bass competence grows, the fine resolutions, the nuances that are portrayed, the positioning on the 'stage' is winning nicely.

From vfm, the TPR4 is unmatched to me, yet.
Probably the best item/ price I have come across yet ever.

160 hands down.
Sorry I moved my 160 on when I got the 135's.
There is something special about that amp.

A long time ago I had a system comprising Supex 900, Grace 707, Linn (abt 1978) Naims 32,160 and Nightingale NM1 s
I think it was a sorta well known combo in the day.
It was nice
Playing loud the green light on the 160 would dim just slightly on loud passages.
I felt it was giving all it had ! which was impressive to my ears
But when it got old it started to blow speakers and no one in Malaysia could bloody fix it
Drove me nuts
Pity Naim couldn't put in a protection circuit
No more Naims after that.

Nightingales NM1- I always wanted a pair of those....imaged like bastards I seem to remember.

The green light on the chrome bumpers always pulsed to the music like crude 'sound-to-light displays'....Certainly when I ran 4 CB 135s with some active DBLs, they pulsed and eventually all blew. Replacing them only resulted in them blowing again within a matter of weeks.

My first Naim experience was borrowing a 32/160 for a day, replacing my A&R A60E...until that point I had NO idea that amplifiers could make that much of a difference. Even cassette tapes sounded really high end through that combo. This was a feat I could not replicate several years later when I bought a 42/Snaps/110.

A lot of interesting comments - thanks. I have Rega RS3's - I think considered very easy to drive. ?

So here's my system: Very well set up LP12 w Cirkus, Hercules, II, Grace 707, Ortofon 2M Blue, unrecapped 32.5/HC/110, NACA5, Rega RS3s. Where would you guys focus?

I think the system is terrific, except that at times music with a lot of complexity breaks down. It's hard to know though if that's the recording or the system.

I have friends with what are supposed to be "better", and I much prefer mine. It has terrific purity.

I reckon the Grace arm is what's making things a bit muddled during complex passages. Been there, heard the difference a top quality arm can make - it's not subtle. I wouldn't try to improve anything else in your system before the arm is upgraded since any other improvements are likely to make the problem more noticeable.

Mr Tibbs

That 'muddled during complex passages' thing is just an LP12 trait. I got all the way to Ekos 2/Akiva with Lingo 2 before I realised and bought a Well Tempered GTA instead which doesn't do that. I guess it depends if what you like about the LP12 outweighs what irritates, It took me a long time to realise that I needed a more neutral turntable.

advertisement

Back