advertisement

Naim 102 Servicing?

Suffolk Tony

Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.
Hi folks,

A fellow fishie has one of the above and is wondering if, after some 22 years, it needs a service. Don't know much about them myself - any caps etc. that could do with service, please? Are there any measurements worth looking at?

Thanks for any help in anticipation.

Very little as I recall; there's no onboard power supply so no reservoirs caps to bake out (since it'll be using a Hicap or equiv)

So after that most of whats onboard are 10uf/35v tantalum caps (and a larger one likely 47uF in each of the gain stage feedback loops, one per chnnel) that effectively live for ever in Naim preamp use - signal coupling, supply rail decoupling and very conservative voltage ratings mean there's really no obvious heat/wear-out mechanism for these. So no need to change those. The very few electrolytics I can recall are mostly bulk decoupling from the relay logic, so not actually part of the signal path at all (and fed separately by a Napsc.) There are also no service adjustments inside,no bias settings to tweak

If it works happily now, and the owner wants it retained as-is- there's nothing to do :)

Very little as I recall; there's no onboard power supply so no reservoirs caps to bake out (since it'll be using a Hicap or equiv)

So after that most of whats onboard are 10uf/35v tantalum caps (and a larger one likely 47uF in each of the gain stage feedback loops, one per chnnel) that effectively live for ever in Naim preamp use - signal coupling, supply rail decoupling and very conservative voltage ratings mean there's really no obvious heat/wear-out mechanism for these. So no need to change those. The very few electrolytics I can recall are mostly bulk decoupling from the relay logic, so not actually part of the signal path at all (and fed separately by a Napsc.) There are also no service adjustments inside,no bias settings to tweak

If it works happily now, and the owner wants it retained as-is- there's nothing to do :)

Thank you. I’m the fishee that Tony mentioned.
My hicap is due its second service about now, so that’ll be done when I get around to it.
Cheers

You might want to replace the phono board e-caps if TT listening is critical for you, though as stated not a lot of voltage or heat in there. Something like Panasonic FR should be good for the entire next century, unless you think there's some magic to the Naim Sic-Safcos.

You should recap the NAPSC. I did mine after I realized it has been on for 20 years straight as Naim in their obtuseness decided not to put a f&^%ing switch on it. I have two one for a Headline, the NAPSC is a tiny 16V SNAPs w/ 2X 10uf/50v and 1X 2200uf 50V all e-caps. I improved its pedigree and replaced with 2X tants and a 4700uf Kendeil snap-in that fit. Careful to trim leads under the PCB very flush. If the filter cap is taller it can push the pcb down and short to the case, luckily the fuse blew and the regulator survived. Put a little piece of acetate under it just to be safe. Sadly, the NAPSCs are still on all the f&^%ing time.

You might want to replace the phono board e-caps if TT listening is critical for you, though as stated not a lot of voltage or heat in there. Something like Panasonic FR should be good for the entire next century, unless you think there's some magic to the Naim Sic-Safcos.

You should recap the NAPSC. I did mine after I realized it has been on for 20 years straight as Naim in their obtuseness decided not to put a f&^%ing switch on it. I have two one for a Headline, the NAPSC is a tiny 16V SNAPs w/ 2X 10uf/50v and 1X 2200uf 50V all e-caps. I improved its pedigree and replaced with 2X tants and a 4700uf Kendeil snap-in that fit. Careful to trim leads under the PCB very flush. If the filter cap is taller it can push the pcb down and short to the case, luckily the fuse blew and the regulator survived. Put a little piece of acetate under it just to be safe. Sadly, the NAPSCs are still on all the f&^%ing time.

Thank you.
No vinyl here, but the NAPSC info will be handy.

advertisement

Back