advertisement

Naim 0v paths.

hp1

pfm Member
I am toying with moving the voltage regulators so they are close to the circuit to be powered.

The main reason for this(I think) is to optimise the 0v path for the regs so each one has its own direct path back to the star ground

I use discrete regs so dont need the 27r 47uf rc circuit as it is or the 10 uf tant in parallel with the regulator out put as it will be close to circuit being powered.

So a couple of questions if any one has any opinions please.

1; the trafo and rectification will be in a seperate case so would one have the smoothing caps by the rectifiers or near to the regs or have them at both ends if you see what mean?

2, Is there a good all rounder circuit for replacing the 27r 47uf when not using lm317/337?
I see martin clark and andy weekes like no 27r and a 4.7 uf film cap in series with a low ohm resistor
in place of the 47uf.

Putting the regs at the load point removes cables inductance effects, youd be better off with a decent size cap, the last in you rectifier smoother grouping, physically next to the reg.

In modding a prefix for local regs I ended up with 10uf mkp4 and a 2ohm smt resistor decoupling each rail.

I am toying with moving the voltage regulators so they are close to the circuit to be powered.

The main reason for this(I think) is to optimise the 0v path for the regs so each one has its own direct path back to the star ground

I use discrete regs so dont need the 27r 47uf rc circuit as it is or the 10 uf tant in parallel with the regulator out put as it will be close to circuit being powered.

So a couple of questions if any one has any opinions please.

1; the trafo and rectification will be in a seperate case so would one have the smoothing caps by the rectifiers or near to the regs or have them at both ends if you see what mean?

2, Is there a good all rounder circuit for replacing the 27r 47uf when not using lm317/337?
I see martin clark and andy weekes like no 27r and a 4.7 uf film cap in series with a low ohm resistor
in place of the 47uf.

Smoothing caps should be next to the TX and rectifier.

Everything else you ask the answer is "it depends"..... on the regulator mainly and on what it "see's". The 4.7uF and low value resistor can't do any harm ad give a bit of damping to the "Q" of any resonant effects (peaking or ringing etc) due to the inductive nature of the regs output.

advertisement

Back