advertisement

Naiad - from myth to reality

Some great Rega pics here (lots of the Naiad too):

One of my gripes with the higher end Rega decks is that they don't look that special. I remember years ago looking at my Planar 3/RB300 and concluding that it was just a about perfect piece of design. Form following function and resulting in an elegant, stylish whole devoid of unnecessary frills.

Rega decks don't stand out so much today, as others have copied their style and they have been around for so long, but they still look clean and fresh. The problem is that if you sit an RP10 next to a P1, to the untrained eye, they look pretty similar. It's not really a complaint, what could you want Rega to do about it, but the LP12 looked like a higher quality product.

@Mr Pig, I know what you mean but I really like the subtle sculpted shape of the higher end Rega decks - I also think the ones with the white ceramic platters look great with a white mat (which is what the Naiad comes with). I’ve worked on loads of LP12s but the looks aren’t actually to my taste (though I realise they are for many) and I like the more component look of decks like Brinkmann etc.

It's a Veblen product at the end of the day. There is no engineering requirement in the reproduction of music from a TT that needs that sort of money spending on it to get it right.

Jez, I think it’s unfair, in this case, to say the Naiad is a Veblen product. Rega have chosen to pursue certain design tenants to the maximum degree and some of their material choices have resulted in extremely expensive production methods (particularly given the relatively low numbers manufactured). Certainly this kind of mechanical engineering is hugely more expensive than machining an amp case from billet, for example. On top of that you have to add in the usual dealer margin etc. The wall bracket on its own would likely be a few thousand if available separately and Rega have spent years developing their own hardware and software for measuring speed +wow/flutter - they have even designed their own stylus balance.

Coloured mats is the way to go!!

I think anything other than the white on the white platter would look odd.

@Mr Pig, I know what you mean but I really like the subtle sculpted shape of the higher end Rega decks...

It's all just a matter of taste. To me the LP12 looks like a solid quality product, which it is, without being showy or brash. The RP10 looks trick but I doubt if it will age as well. All the uncoated aluminium worries me. Over time, aluminum can tarnish very badly and there isn't much you can do about it.

Coloured mats is the way to go!!

agreed!

fdtjU94.jpg

Raw aluminium tarnishes almost immediately, with seconds of exposure to air, it's actually a very reactive metal, more so than magnesium, it's just that the oxide is very none reactive, and looks just like aluminium, mostly.

Mrpig, the linn bearing is pretty damn quiet, you can still hear the difference that comes from floating it on magnets. Ask ynwoan, we measured his when he first implemented his mag lev, it was c -3db better peaking at both the bearing rotation and motor rotation frequencies. We never thought we could hear those noises as distinct when playing but you can sure as hell hear when it has gone.

But you apparently have sufficient interest to argue the toss over it....

I realise you have no real interest in the subject which is why I haven’t wasted our time discussing it - sit back and enjoy, nothing wrong with that :).

I'm saying you dont know until eliminate it. I'm sure it's a great bearing though, in fact I'm confident it's one of the very best in any deck.

Really interesting design and would imagine, being Rega, that every part of the kit contributes to the ultimate performance of the turntable. One feature does add a question mark for me - what is the bolted-on appendage on the stand? Looking at the locating holes for the turntable feet I wonder if it is there to stop people snagging themselves on the arm as this projects out on it's own from the body of the turntable. I guess the problem with all skeletal designs, especially those on a wall shelf, is the risk of snagging on the projecting bits. As a solution, I find it a bit in-elegant given how slick the rest of it looks but a small price to pay if it is effective in protecting the arm / cartridge.

I think it's purpose is to aid cueing of the arm before lowering, I certainly rest my hand on the plinth of my Rega when cueing. Looks like it is removable.

...the linn bearing is pretty damn quiet, you can still hear the difference that comes from floating it on magnets. Ask ynwoan, we measured his when he first implemented his mag lev, it was c -3db better peaking at both the bearing rotation and motor rotation frequencies. We never thought we could hear those noises as distinct when playing but you can sure as hell hear when it has gone.

Would the effect be heightened using the lighter Linn Axis platter on that maglev?

advertisement

Back