advertisement

Naiad - from myth to reality

I'll be honest, without actually hearing this turntable I'm reluctant to get very excited about it. I've never heard an independent review or even opinion on it. Rega personally select the people who get one, we don't know who any of these people are and none of them have said a thing about it.

I understand the philosophy Rega have employed in their decks, which is pushed to the max in their higher end turntables, but I'm not convinced that it will work when taken to the extreme. In short, I think turntables need a bit of colouration.

The standalone strobe disc makes me think it's a set and forget thing rather than constant optical tacho feedback. Unless it's there to allow you to set the speed and see that it's accurately set and theres a secondary, under the platter, tacho disc?

The design looks mega, not my cup of tea, but i'd put money on it being the most speed stable none DD deck you can buy. The precision on those laser etched glass tacho discs is serious business.

As with the P8, I love the looks, but it's probably not up my street sonically speaking.

And then there's the price. £30k is a lot of money for a Rega.

I imagine it'd be fairly difficult to tell a p10 or even 8 apart from the Naiad. I think the record itself is the limiting medium here - all three seem more than good enough.

Whilst an attractive package, 30K is a bit rich for me personally, Rega state that they will only ever make 50 of them.

If I had a spare £30k I wouldn't spend it on a Rega. Upper end SME, Brinkman & with the change I would max out my LP12. Best of all words

Maybe I'm just old but I like a turntable that looks like a turntable and has a proper lid. I bought an RP10 because, even if the new P8 was better, I wanted the square plinth and lid.

I think the record itself is the limiting medium here..

It's hard to say that. The nature of the system means that it's almost impossible for us to know just how much information is on the record. Years ago I heard John Watson of Mana's system and was struck but just how much I was hearing that I'd never heard before. The RP10 also retrieves huge amounts of information. Obviously, there must be a limit but I don't know if we've reached it.

Whilst I think that's crazy money for a TT and totally unjustifiable I find it odd that some say they wouldn't pay that for a Rega specifically...

Whilst I think that's crazy money for a TT and totally unjustifiable I find it odd that some say they wouldn't pay that for a Rega specifically...
Because items like this are male jewellery and not functional items. Hence why people might spend £30k on a Rolex "but I wouldn't spend that on a Seiko", people will spend £30k on an MV Agusta "but I wouldn't spend that on a Honda" and people might spend £ 1000 on a suit "but I wouldn't spend that on a suit from M&S" .

If I had a spare £30k I wouldn't spend it on a Rega. Upper end SME, Brinkman & with the change I would max out my LP12. Best of all words

+1 Customers with £30K can walk out of dealers with a deck today & rega would not be on there radar

advertisement

Back