advertisement

Nagaoka MP-500

Tony L

Administrator
Rather than continue polluting the Denon DL-110 vs Ortofon 2M Blue thread with a cartridge that isn’t even in the title I’ll start a dedicated thread as my new MP-500 landed today:

27082289788_bde967c51d_b.jpg

Fitting it was easy enough, as it is with arms as easy to use as the 3009 (we have forgotten most what A R-A taught us in the late ‘50s-early ‘60s about tonearm ergonomics!). I use the TD-124’s (far better sounding) heavy iron platter which is ferrous and attracts cartridges with big magnets so was a little worried as I could find no internet wisdom as to whether the fixed magnet in the Nagaoka MP design attracted at all. It does to a tiny, tiny amount, I was getting a VTF reading of 1.54g off the platter and 1.59g over the platter at record playing height, so it is ‘there’ but utterly insignificant. Worth noting and publishing here though in case it helps other 124 users.

There has also been much discussion and confusion as to how to load a Nagaoka cartridge and hard facts are few and far between. The only official data I can find is 47k/100pf in an old MP-xx brochure, the capacitance value has been removed from the newer MP-xxx range brochure to which the MP-500 obviously belongs. That initial 100pf isn’t specified as total capacitance or the phono stage, and I’ve no idea what has changed since the Nagaoka range were relaunched with an extra digit in the model number. I will be experimenting with this aspect over time, but my starting point is 47k/39pf at the amp (a slightly tweaked late grey Quad 34) and my vdH 501 arm cable adds about 80-100pf I think, so I’m somewhere in the <150pf total arena. This load was ideal for the Ortofon 540/II that is my other cart, that sounded very good indeed.

27082274078_6d65650289_b.jpg

Here’s a quick and dirty in room measurement of the MP-500 from the listening seat using the pink noise track on HFS69. It doesn’t look bad at all to me and backs up what I’m hearing. It sounds very good even though I’ve yet to properly dial in VTF, VTA, bias, set the SME’s lateral balance etc etc. Definitely a warmer and smoother sound than the Ort and I suspect it will open up into something quite special with a few hours on the clock. Certainly a great tracker, very quiet and no sign of end of side issues. It is noticeably lower output than either the 540/II or 2M Black, so needs another click or two on the 34’s volume knob. No hum from the TD-124’s hefty motor either. Quite promising so far.

Last edited:
I love mine, and would be interested to hear how you get on with it upon extended listening.

I have quite a few hours on mine now, but I think I'll just get a new stylus for it rather than change to another cartridge next time. That is unusual for me as I have always changed to a completely different model of cartridge when one wears out in the past.

Interesting, thanks. I looked into Nagaokas when I had a Thorens TD160: I wanted to see what its heavy arm sounded like with a low compliance MM (went as far as getting a NOS MP10, and mounted it only to find that I'd pulled a wire loose in the arm - never did get to hear it). Seems they aren't actually low compliance at all. Or are they? Lots of internet controversy: high or low compliance, high or low capacitance, and you also see the idea floated that they only last 500 hours or so. Seems Nagaoka's comms department leaves something to be desired. Will follow this thread with interest in the hope that it will help clear a few matters up.

I really, really wanted one of these, but couldn't get any further info on Nakaoka's claim that you should replace the stylus after 150-200hrs.

I ended up trading my Lyra Dorian for a Lyra Delos last week. Which if it last 2000hrs, will cost considerably less than the Nakaoka in the long run.

I really, really wanted one of these, but couldn't get any further info on Nakaoka's claim that you should replace the stylus after 150-200hrs.

I’m certain that is a misprint or Japanglish issue, it is a nude-mounted fine-line diamond of lovely quality tracking at 1.6g so should be good for 1k hours absolute minimum I’d have thought. I suspect they missed a zero off. I’ve certainly read no stories of premature death, though some folk have broken the boron cantilever on rare occasion. There are lots of folk still running the old MP-xx range.

I’m certain that is a misprint or Japanglish issue ... I suspect they missed a zero off.

That is what I thought too, when I got mine, but after some internet research I came to the conclusion that that is what Nagaoka said and it is what they meant to say. I believe they are one of a very few (maybe the only?) cartridge companies to cut and polish their own diamonds, and they are recognised as perfectionists. Apparently the Nagaoka boffins take the view that after 200 hours of play the stylus profile is measurably changed from what it was when new. They also maintain they can hear the difference. Now that, of course, does not mean that the stylus is finished and in need of replacement. It will still play well for many many hours to come. But it does mean that it is no longer within spec for their design of stylus, and being the company that they are, that represents a significant point in the cartridge's life.
ML

I’m certain that is a misprint or Japanglish issue, it is a nude-mounted fine-line diamond of lovely quality tracking at 1.6g so should be good for 1k hours absolute minimum I’d have thought. I suspect they missed a zero off. I’ve certainly read no stories of premature death, though some folk have broken the boron cantilever on rare occasion. There are lots of folk still running the old MP-xx range.

This was an issue when I bought mine, it's certainly strange that they haven't corrected it if it is an error. They must have had quite a few enquiries!

I bought mine based on the advice of others who had been running them for far longer than the 150-200 hours and were still fine. I reckon I have got around 1,000 hours on mine now (hence looking for new stylus) and it still sounds fine to me.

The full price of this cartridge if bought in the UK is over £600. If it only lasted 150 hours that would equate to over £4 per hour of use! It is good, but not that good.

That is what I thought too, when I got mine, but after some internet research I came to the conclusion that that is what Nagaoka said and it is what they meant to say. I believe they are one of a very few (maybe the only?) cartridge companies to cut and polish their own diamonds, and they are recognised as perfectionists. Apparently the Nagaoka boffins take the view that after 200 hours of play the stylus profile is measurably changed from what it was when new. They also maintain they can hear the difference. Now that, of course, does not mean that the stylus is finished and in need of replacement. It will still play well for many many hours to come. But it does mean that it is no longer within spec for their design of stylus, and being the company that they are, that represents a significant point in the cartridge's life.
ML

Interesting point. I wonder how much difference I'll notice when I renew the stylus!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this Tony. It's my fave MM so far and I soooooo regret selling mine a couple of years ago. Warm, smooth, detailed, natural and dynamic where my impressions.

Definitely a warmer and smoother sound than the Ort and I suspect it will open up into something quite special with a few hours on the clock.
I had the previous model a few years back, the MP50 - if yours is anything like this it won't give anything like its best until you get some decent hours into it.

Nagaoka are the only company to build cartridges 100% in house including the diamonds
200hrs is japanese over engineering perfection for the stylus will not be the same as a brand new one ,boron cantilever with a highly polished line contact stylus that will last or out-last market standards Ran several MP500s myself with excellent results

Recent global shortage of boron for cantilevers affected every cartridge maker globally
with the exception of nagaoka & they supply or brand label for many others
even if you have never been a user before , you possibly have used one off there styli , cantilever , generator etc

Nagaoka" boasts the top share in production as the number one in the record needle.
Since its founding, our company has been doing track record mainly on precision processing of jewelry for 30 years. We are proud to say that microfabrication technologies for difficult-to-cut materials such as diamond, cemented carbide and ceramics are at the world level.
Cemented carbide cuttings · Terminals for measuring instruments · Diamond tools · Measuring probes · Magnet parts processing · Micro and precision parts processing

Just stuck the spare 47k/220pf board into the Quad 34 and annoyingly its broken, it makes a loud white-noise hiss out of the right channel, so assessing capacitance just got a whole lot trickier. IIRC I’ve never even used this board and just bought it off eBay as a ‘stock’ spare as I’d modified the one I use. I’ll keep an eye out for another as it will no doubt be cheaper to replace than to get this one fixed.

Just stuck the spare 47k/220pf board into the Quad 34 and annoyingly its broken, it makes a loud white-noise hiss out of the right channel, so assessing capacitance just got a whole lot trickier. IIRC I’ve never even used this board and just bought it off eBay as a ‘stock’ spare as I’d modified the one I use. I’ll keep an eye out for another as it will no doubt be cheaper to replace than to get this one fixed.

Check for dry joints on the board, loose phono sockets. Could be one of the tants needs replacing too, so replace them all whilst you’re at it.

Check for dry joints on the board, loose phono sockets. Could be one of the tants needs replacing too, so replace them all whilst you’re at it.

All looks good to me. It is one of the later grey ones with gold phonos and they are tight, can’t spot any dry joints etc. It looks mint. There are four little yellow or mustard tant caps, do you think these could be to blame? If I can figure out what value (might be 55 or 155 something, I have a feeling the ‘1’ is a polarity as there is a + on the other side) they are and can find some they’d be easy to replace. I think all four are the same, but reading the printing on them is right on the limits of my eyesight to be honest. I know you’ve worked extensively with Quad kit, do you know what they are? I can post a pic of the board later if it helps.

All looks good to me. It is one of the later grey ones with gold phonos and they are tight, can’t spot any dry joints etc. It looks mint. There are four little yellow or mustard tant caps, do you think these could be to blame? If I can figure out what value (might be 55 or 155 something, I have a feeling the ‘1’ is a polarity as there is a + on the other side) they are and can find some they’d be easy to replace. I think all four are the same, but reading the printing on them is right on the limits of my eyesight to be honest. I know you’ve worked extensively with Quad kit, do you know what they are? I can post a pic of the board later if it helps.

1.5uF
Tants usually fail short circuit so easy to check with meter. My best guess from afar is a TL071 op amp failure. There are much better op amps these days but I'll guess you'll want it as Quad intended etc....

Here’s a quick pic of the offending item:

26086078507_b03b8eb174_b.jpg

I’d want to fix or replace it rather than modify it as I’m interested in capacitance changes against the other board, so I want them both the same aside from the capacitance value.

advertisement

Back