advertisement

NAD 7225PE opinions?

ClaraBannister

pfm Member
I've been over in the UK for a few days to deliver a paper, and spent Saturday afternoon wandering around a few charity shops. I came across a stereo receiver - an NAD 7225PE. At £10, I couldn't really leave it there. I managed to find a manual on the internet. It places a great emphasis on setting the speaker impedance control correctly, and also mentions the Soft Clipping setting. These are new to me. I wonder if anybody knows anything about this receiver, and has any opinions, whether good, bad or indifferent. Advice on the setting of the impedance and Soft Clipping controls would also be very welcome.

That, of course, is in the lap of the gods. At £10, worth a gamble. If it doesn't, I'm not going to hop on the ferry and demand my money back. I have an NAD tuner back home, which is quite a decent one. Is NAD well thought of generally? Not a firm I know a lot about. The blurb says that, if you're not sure about your speaker impedance, you should set the control to 4 ohms or risk damage. Which of us can say we truly know our speaker impedance under actual working conditions?

It's two generations on from the original 3020. Early 90's.

The tuner bit is really good, amp not bad for a little 'un

Well worth a tenner - you can't go wrong with that.

set it to 4 ohms irrespective of what impedence your speakers actually have.

Set to 4 ohms and switch off the soft clipping unless you'll be using it for parties. As Colasblue says, the tuner is rather above average for the type and the amp very competent. For a tenner you should be laughing.

I've been over in the UK for a few days to deliver a paper, and spent Saturday afternoon wandering around a few charity shops. I came across a stereo receiver - an NAD 7225PE. At £10, I couldn't really leave it there. I managed to find a manual on the internet. It places a great emphasis on setting the speaker impedance control correctly, and also mentions the Soft Clipping setting. These are new to me. I wonder if anybody knows anything about this receiver, and has any opinions, whether good, bad or indifferent. Advice on the setting of the impedance and Soft Clipping controls would also be very welcome.

Heck of a paper round you have there!

NAD's Soft Clipping system is a current limiting circuit that rounds off the peaks of an overdriven signal, which makes it sound less fatiguing when played loud. The amp is still being driven into distortion, so it's sort of masking the amp being pushed past its functional limits. Some prefer keeping the amp at lower levels and may even prefer the sound of the system without Soft Clipping in place.

I'd say keep it in, but try not to push the amp enough to have a lot of clipping - soft or not - in your music replay.

The 7225PE is the receiver version of the 3225PE. At the time it was the middle of their standard integrated range, the others being the 3020i and the 3240PE. The last two numbers indicated the 'power output' (ie the 7225 was '25watts per channel'). While the PE stands for Power Envelope, which was a system that increased the amplifiers headroom by storing reserve current which could be used for short bursts of high musical load.

My first amplifier was a 3240PE, which served me well for many years.

I managed to try it out, courtesy of an old university friend over here. He supplied a spare turntable and his pair of test speakers. I'm glad to say it works very nicely. I'm hopeful that it'll sound even better with my Mordaunt Shorts. The power output is quite modest, but more than adequate for my needs.

advertisement

Back