advertisement

Nad 7030 flickers on startup?

retrospective

pfm Member
I know that the power switches are problematic and replacements are difficult to source (alps tv5-sdu3p)

Before i dissassemble the switch and potentially wreck it..are there any other things/likely candidates that i could check?

Once it has stopped flickering there appears to be no issues.
Dc offset's good,sounds great,nothing untoward can be heard through the speakers,tuner locks onto stations well.

Any advice/suggestions welcomed

Thanks

I don't know anything about the NAD, and I'm not entirely sure what your happens. Do you mean that the unit works fine but some 'lights' on it flicker for a while at turn-on?

In the past when I've needed an 'unobtainium' mains switch I've just wired past it and used a switch I've added to the lead, or on a distribution board. So 'exported' the mains switching. But I tend to turn sets of items on/off this way as normal anyway. Convenient and avoid 'wear' on the internal switches.

I don't know anything about the NAD, and I'm not entirely sure what your happens. Do you mean that the unit works fine but some 'lights' on it flicker for a while at turn-on?

In the past when I've needed an 'unobtainium' mains switch I've just wired past it and used a switch I've added to the lead, or on a distribution board. So 'exported' the mains switching. But I tend to turn sets of items on/off this way as normal anyway. Convenient and avoid 'wear' on the internal switches.

I don't switch to the source or turn the speakers on until its settled so i don't know whether there are other issues.

I suspect the switch though i read somewhere that the transformer could present similar symptoms.

I have tried leaving the switch depressed and using the wall switch..this made no difference so i don't see how a separate switch might??

I have read that the muting is something to do with the switch which may make bypassing it a bit tricky.

Last edited:
I don't know the design, but from what you say I can't see how changing the internal switch would help. Looks more like some kind of circuitry inside the system is failing to behave as it should when powered up. We'd need to know more about the design to get further. e.g. circuit diagrams/descriptions, etc. What exactly, flickers? Indicator leds? if so, what are they meant to indicate?

Using my usual (light js-off) browser the page refused to give me the pfd, only bitmaps of the first two pages.

However flickering plus a "fizzing sound" makes me think of a poor contact somewhere. Do you hear the fizzing from the 7030 box or the speakers? Either way, might be useful to disconnect from mains, then remove the case and look for signs of something being overheated or corroded/singed/etc. Might just be a crappy joint.

Using my usual (light js-off) browser the page refused to give me the pfd, only bitmaps of the first two pages.

However flickering plus a "fizzing sound" makes me think of a poor contact somewhere. Do you hear the fizzing from the 7030 box or the speakers? Either way, might be useful to disconnect from mains, then remove the case and look for signs of something being overheated or corroded/singed/etc. Might just be a crappy joint.

The fizzing's inside the amp around the meters i'd say
Everything else is good,nothing has overheated sounds great once it has settled

I'd examine inside ASAP for signs of any signs of something frying/burning! Do this with the set disconnected from mains for safety. I'm wary of the fizzing noise as it might have the potential to start a fire. Probably OK, but caution recommended.

Update...as suspected it was pitted/charred contacts on the power switch.

Stripping the switch and cleaning it solved the issue

advertisement

Back