advertisement

NAC82, DualTeddyCap or TeddySuperCap

Never compared on an 82 - however did use TSC on my 52. All i can say is the chap who bought my TSC thought it was a vast improvement on his Naim supercap . I think the Tsc would be the one to go for (even for future upgradius )

Never tried TeddyCaps but replacing two Hi Caps with an Avondale APX4 brought about a major improvement. The olive 82 is a good preamp that really shines with good power supplies, so it's worth experimenting.

I like Teddy PSUs, so I suggested to a guy who likes Naim gear that a DTC Mk3 might work well with his 82. However he didn't get on with and sold it. He tells me it didn't seem to drive it adequately whereas it was fine driving a 32.5. He tried various other PSUs - single, double hicaps, and a supercap, but in the end he preferred a single HiCap 2 (non-DR). Having said that he sold the lot recently including his 250.2 after he heard a SuperNait which he's attached the hicap to. He's mainly into rock music and likes believable instrument tones and vocals, a smooth sound and the usual Naim PRAT. So it might be useful if you can get to hear one before you buy.

a friend of mine used the DTC3, too, on his NAC52, but in spite the former's better hi-fi virtues, he in the end returned to his good ol' olive Hi-Cap for its more musical and organic performance as attested via the 52

Didn't think a 52 could be powered by HiCaps.

Yes, 52 can be powered with Supercap only. My view on Teddycaps still though is that it does not have the Naim's speed, attack and the exitment. Horses for courses but for me it is not as musical.

Strange thing to say.

I found the TeddyCap got me more into, and closer to, the music than the Hicap; therefore would it not be musical?

We all know your preference for the teddy's but my view is that it does not do it the way Naim does it. And I quess its all about personal preference....

Ok, I have to clarify a bit. By reading Pink Fish I got the picture that there is no trade offs by getting Teddy stuff. I got the picture that it has all the Naim's virtues and then some more but no downsides. In the end I just did not get on with Teddy stuff. After taking all the Teddy stuff(Teddycap+TeddyXps)of my system I felt like I was listening to music the way I liked it to be. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Vesa

Ok, I have to clarify a bit. By reading Pink Fish I got the picture that there is no trade offs by getting Teddy stuff. I got the picture that it has all the Naim's virtues and then some more but no downsides. In the end I just did not get on with Teddy stuff. After taking all the Teddy stuff(Teddycap+TeddyXps)of my system I felt like I was listening to music the way I liked it to be. Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Vesa

Fair enough.

The Teddy stuff does not sound exactly like Naim, nor is it meant to, especially the TeddyPre. We are all different and there is yet to be any product that pleases everybody all the time.

Power supplies do subtle and strange things in my opinion, my 82 has a hicap at the mo, i tried a DIY supercap style supply of my own design and immediately thought it very good, but found something was missing, then a mate lent me a Avondale APX version and again thought wow this a great. But after several weeks i put my single HiCap back and it sounded so relaxed and fluid i still have it in place. Horses for courses - and i do know of peeps who have gone Avondale and have never gone back.

Until I got my TeddyCap III and let it and it's supplied IC and a new Tibia COMPLETELY BURN IN AND SETTLE DOWN, I never knew what my NAC & NAP could truly achieve. I cannot now imagine listening to my rig w/o the TC installed. It's so perfect to my ears that I have no intention of even auditioning a Naim DR.

'Musical' is a meaningless term other than just before 'instrument' or to describe a film.

I think if somebody says that something is musical, the sound he is hearing is an engaging way of playing music for him. Not much more into it. I quess we all say sometimes things that should not be taken literally.

Until I got my TeddyCap III and let it and it's supplied IC and a new Tibia COMPLETELY BURN IN AND SETTLE DOWN, I never knew what my NAC & NAP could truly achieve. I cannot now imagine listening to my rig w/o the TC installed. It's so perfect to my ears that I have no intention of even auditioning a Naim DR.

I am glad it works for you. I quess what I am trying to say also is that if you in the first place got really exited to the Naim sound and after getting some third party supplies to your system did not like it anymore or felt like something was missing, you owe yourself a try to see how you get on without the power supplies.

Cheers,

Vesa

What NAC? I've heard a TC work well with 32.5/72 and a 102. I also like Teddy's white SNAICs - particularly with a Stageline.

What NAC? I've heard a TC work well with 32.5/72 and a 102. I also like Teddy's white SNAICs - particularly with a Stageline.

Olive 62. My TC III came with a gray SNAIC. I tried my Naim black SNAIC w/the TC and it was unbearably bright. Never heard a white TC SNAIC, my gray one says "Teddy Cab 5" on it...

That's interesting. So it seems the TC certainly works well with Naim shoe-box sized amps and the 102. I find Teddy's white SNAIC a bit brighter than a Naim black SNAIC (assuming it's connected in the the correct direction), but prefer it as I find it more neutral, and with the Stageline it's a lot clearer. Perhaps the grey SNAIC is a new version. Mine says Teddy Cab 5 on it too and looks like the SNAICs on Teddy's website.

advertisement

Back