advertisement

NAC52 servicing

mjw

pfm Member
Just picked mine up from Darran at Class A after a recap service and, while it was in bits, I thought I'd have the POTS5 upgraded to POTS8.

The sound from the off is astonishing and (he suggests) it'll improve over the next few weeks. If a 252 is better then it must be some piece of kit although I'm not motivated to try one now that I've got the 52 back.

Not a cheap procedure but, in the context of the price of Naim equipment, it's a worthwhile upgrade to the system.

Mick

If you want to improve things even further , try a Black Burndy . I didnt realise just how big a part the burndy played in the sound until my recent purchase
52 is a Fab bit of kit - i dont envisage changing mine for at least another Decade - Enjoy:)

It has a black burndy, thanks. I'm just enjoying Carmen after a bit of Julian Joseph and Haim (remember them from Hootenany? Better live but OK).

well done! my 252 has turned ten last year, and as I'm still paying a mortgage a 552 is a long way away from my lounge. A full service is on the cards this year, along with all the psu's and amp. #8 )

Is there any sense in upgrading a Pots 7 to the Pots 8? I have heard there is little difference- anyone experience otherwise? Thanks for the reply.
Mark

Is there any sense in upgrading a Pots 7 to the Pots 8? I have heard there is little difference- anyone experience otherwise? Thanks for the reply.
Mark

My last 52 was Pots7 - i emailed Salisbury with the same inquiry - They replied stay with what i have , only earlier models would see a noticeable improvement

However on a personal basis i thought Pots8 was better(always thought there was something missing with the Pots7 52)

I have said before, the 52 is one of the very best things Naim did.

All the claims from others that this and that is in the 52 zone require some salt.

I've had most of the Naim pre amps and the variables from the CB/Olive era, the 52 is something else.

I love it!

Having plowed through most of the Naim preamps, there are only two that struck me as being exceptional VFM, and were I still using Naim amplification I would own one of them. They are the 12 and the 52. Anything between them is not sufficiently better than the 12 and the 552 although better in every way than the 52 is no more fun to listen to. And yes I have had them side by side for extended periods.

If I had to whittle it down to just a single product in terms for VFM, then the NAC12 would be the last one standing. Julian surely did know how to make some exceptionally fine preamps.

I bet a 52 is mighty when powered by a supercap DR.

It`s certainly different.....not yet convinced.

I have been running this combination for the last 7 weeks. The fun will begin when my 52ps comes back from a service. Always prefered the 52ps over the supercap (olive versions). Should be interesting.

Not convinced a Hicap DR on a 72 or 42.5 is better than straight off a 160. Playing them here, different yes, better? Not really.

Best 52 i ever heard was with a serviced 52PS.

Is it all the black Naim stuff which has the fifteen year service interval or just the 552 & 500 (plus possibly the 555 and 555 p.s.)?

advertisement

Back