advertisement

NAC282 - One PSU or Two

Njb

pfm Member
Hi,

Apologies to Ryder who has been giving me loads of advice. I am wondering what others think about adding a second PSU to a 282. Some people say that it kills the musicality by making the sound too controlled.
I was hoping to go to a HiCapDR, to replace my TeddyCap, but the option has gone away. However, I have been offered a second TeddyCap. Any comments?

I would say go with one power supply that can support either one or two feeds. I have on occasion been disappointed by the effect two separate supplies has on the NAC 282. Two feeds from a SuperCap DR would be my preference, but the SuperTeddyCap is undeniably better value for money.

Having said that, if you have been offered a used TeddyCap at a fair price, I would encourage you to give it a try. You should be able to move it on easily if it does not bring an improvement.

I'd say sell the 282 .... :p:D

Having had a 282, I found that a DTC worked well on a 282, but something of the naim drive was lost even if from a hifi point of view things were better. I do agree with CK, but that is a brutal opinion for a naim fan. The 282 is the frontier between (almost) reasonable money, and totally silly money with naim.

Having had a 282, I found that a DTC worked well on a 282, but something of the naim drive was lost even if from a hifi point of view things were better. I do agree with CK, but that is a brutal opinion for a naim fan. The 282 is the frontier between (almost) reasonable money, and totally silly money with naim.

At current RRP level £4800 aprox it is indeed silly money in my book, very soon getting another price hike..

Sometime I wonder if they sell anymore unless heavily discounted ?

Most people tend to purchase Uniti boxes and streamers nowadays

Sorry to OP

Dare I say buy a Teddy Supercap. Run it from 2 or 4 rails as you wish and when you've a few more funds we'll take it in and convert it to run from 10 rails. That would give a NAC252 a run for its money.

Is your DTC the newer version with markings on the front panel? Also, did you compare the DTC with the Hicap DR? My DTC is the older version without any markings on the front panel. In my system and to my ears and/or preference, I find one output from the DTC to sound better than two outputs from the DTC.

When you mentioned the Naim "drive" was lost with the DTC, I presume this comment was made when the DTC was compared to the Naim Hicap DR? I can surely relate to the "Naim drive" with the Hicap DR connected to the 282. It's the midbass punch (that some might associate with excessive/uncontrolled bass) of the Hicap DR that provides this drive.

NJB - I can't offer much anymore as the best is to try those options and decide which one will work out best for you. I can only say that the DTC (one or two outputs connected to the 282) will sound different from the Hicap DR. If you get to listen to both in your system, chances are you will like one better than the other. If you like the sound of the TeddyCap and find two Teddycaps to sound even better(if you happen to consider a second Teddycap), I'd say forget about the Hicap DR or Supercap DR unless you have plenty of money to splurge for a PSU.

Personally I'd stick with the 282 as it's the drive of the thing that makes it unique. Similarly in my opinion I feel the 282 is the best value for money preamp in the Naim line that separates it from the higher end Naim gear.

Is your DTC the newer version with markings on the front panel? Also, did you compare the DTC with the Hicap DR? My DTC is the older version without any markings on the front panel. In my system and to my ears and preference, I find one output from the DTC to sound better than two outputs from the DTC.

No the comparisons were between an earlier iteration of the DTC (mkII or III, I can't recall, there's probably postings on here about it) and what amounted to a Hicap II (i.e. a freshly serviced olive, just after the new reference series came out). I have never heard any DR'd naim, but the DR series is in response, IMO, to what Teddy Pardo and Les (Avondale) were doing about 10 years ago, before the DR's came out.

I am happy with the 282. I have limited funds and chasing higher is beyond me. I have a TC and was considering a new HICapDR but the local dealer is not keen on a demo and it is an expensive punt. My 282 is old, so perhaps it would benefit from a service and I could add a second TC Plus, thus replacing the NAPSC too.
Lots of choice, various opinions and my head is spinning, lol

I am happy with the 282. I have limited funds and chasing higher is beyond me. I have a TC and was considering a new HICapDR but the local dealer is not keen on a demo and it is an expensive punt. My 282 is old, so perhaps it would benefit from a service and I could add a second TC Plus, thus replacing the NAPSC too.
Lots of choice, various opinions and my head is spinning, lol

Sounds like a talk to Mark @ Witchhat is where you should be looking, if you want to stay with naim, otherwise it would be time to sell the naim and move on to something cheaper and better.

If the 282 needs a service then that’s your priority. As for the PS, my preference is for the Supercap... It keeps the drive and energy, but adds depth, depth, authority and an extended timbral palette

My final destination was 2 psu's for the 282. Better drive and clarity over the 1.

I basically use an old HC and a TC.

I can understand though, why non Naimees think we're mad.

Including the napsc there are now 3 power supplies just for the preamp. And they're best left on all the time.

It's a bit bonkers!

Can someone clear up (maybe teddy?) this "teddy pardo" writing on the front of the case, saying that if it doesn't have have this its a mk1 or mk2 (which I understand is not the case?). The mk3 super regulator has been around for a number of years, way before the change of case?

Your used to a more controlled sound by running a teddy cap anyway, so getting a dual one will be more of the same, you'll know what to expect. And as others have stated, moving it on wouldn't be a problem.
I had a 282 for 9 years and always ran a dual teddy cap on it. Loved it's bottom end, it was so much tighter than a Naim psu but you do lose that "Naim drive".
I like Witch hats idea, that would be very interesting to hear what that combination could do.

If the 282 needs a service then that’s your priority. As for the PS, my preference is for the Supercap... It keeps the drive and energy, but adds depth, depth, authority and an extended timbral palette

All that is true IME, but what does that represent at today's prices?

My final destination was 2 psu's for the 282. Better drive and clarity over the 1.

I basically use an old HC and a TC.

I can understand though, why non Naimees think we're mad.

Including the napsc there are now 3 power supplies just for the preamp. And they're best left on all the time.

It's a bit bonkers!

So you are on a combined Naim and Teddycap PSUs on the 282, just like what I did previously. That's just great.

Your used to a more controlled sound by running a teddy cap anyway, so getting a dual one will be more of the same, you'll know what to expect. And as others have stated, moving it on wouldn't be a problem.
I had a 282 for 9 years and always ran a dual teddy cap on it. Loved it's bottom end, it was so much tighter than a Naim psu but you do lose that "Naim drive".
I like Witch hats idea, that would be very interesting to hear what that combination could do.

A general pattern on the characteristics of both Naim Hicap and Teddycap can be understood with all the terms that are used to describe the sound. It is useful that you find the Dual Teddycap to have a more controlled sound and tighter bass than a Naim PSU, presumably the Hicap 2 or DR. That was my experience as well. Sometimes it is difficult to translate all these words into the things that we hear in real life experience, vice versa.

The Dual Teddycap has a more controlled and tighter sound than the Naim Hicap as all the decay(looseness) is cut short. As a result, the sound is cleaner, more controlled and tighter not only in the bass but the midrange. On the other hand, the Naim Hicap sounds looser and less clean, but due to this looseness it has a livelier feel, a more live sound. Coupled by the mid-bass bump, this gives music the drive.

A "better" sound (or better PSU) will be dependent on what sort of presentation one is after, a clean and controlled sound of the Teddycap or a looser, less controlled and livelier sound of the Hicap. This goes the same with one or two outputs connected to the 282. The closest analogy I can think of that relates to the comparison between the Teddycap and Hicap is the comparison between the Harbeth Monitor and Domestic series of loudspeakers. Specifically the Harbeth M30 / M30.1 / M30.2 vs Compact 7ES3 and Super HL5 Plus or non-Plus. The Teddycap is the M30 / M30.1 whilst the Naim Hicap is the Compact 7ES3 / SHL5.

OF course, cost can be an issue and I surely support the notion of the great VFM of the Teddycap units which appear to render the Naim PSU (especially the Supercap DR) to be of poor value. Having said that, I also understand that the perception of "value" is quite subjective and there are some who view the 282/Supercap DR to be of great value sound for pound.

When I had the 82 (basically same animal as the 282) I went through the p/supply stages from NAPST to HiCap to 2 x HiCaps. That was advised and it worked. Didn't come up to the 52 I upgraded to, though. Really doesn't matter with Naim kit; buy at a sensible price and sell with little if any depreciation when the upgrade has worn off in time for another, and another, ad nauseam.

Yes , after a couple of weeks the upgrade would "normalise" leading on to the next.

If that's how your mind and wallet work. My pre, power and psu are the same as they were in '99. I've heard some greater Naim systems, but I've not been tempted. If I had 10k looking for a new home perhaps I'd be tempted, but I doubt it.

advertisement

Back