advertisement

NAC 42.4 to 32.5?

Gromit

Plasticine Dog
Is it worth it?

It's just that I've got the opportunity to pick up a very tidy 32.5 for a good price. I don't need the extra inputs, but wondered if there are any sonic differences to make the swtich worthwhile?

Thanks.

<twonk!! Of course I meant 42.5!!>

Richard, the only way to know is to try one versus the other. I preferred the 42.5 you have to a perfect example of a 72, recently serviced by Class A. I have in the past preferred an Olive 62 to both a 72 and 32.5 i had at the time. On the other hand, i had a really lovely 32.5 once which when i changed to an 82, made me very disillusioned.

Naim pre's of that period were a bit of a lottery with some peaches, and some lemons. JV was interviewed once and asked the exact same question, and his reply was that on any given month one may prefer a 42 over a 32 or vice versa, as the circuit boards, components, and construction (as in the person making it) varied month by month.

On the other hand, when i first bought my Naim pre/power back in the early 80's, i was strongly advised by Chris Thomas of Chris Thomas Audio, that the 32.5 was much better sonically and i took his advice and went for the 32.5. His opinion was that a 32.5 was better than 42.5/Snaps.....

JV was interviewed once and asked the exact same question, and his reply was that on any given month one may prefer a 42 over a 32 or vice versa, as the circuit boards, components, and construction varied month by month.

Yes, I've owned 32, 32.5, 42, 42.5,42XO, 62, 72 and now a 102. For some reason, I never really got on with the 72, but I like the 102, it's the odd one out that hardly ever gets mentioned; I'd be quite interested to find out what it would sound like if LesW got his hands on it.

The luck of the draw is certainly a factor; JV's comments are well known and I tend to have found this out.

I currently have an Olive 62 which I think is better than the 72 it outed and also a 42.5 with a recent Naim service, it is a peach.

In context I have had NACs 12 (3), 32 (2), 32.5 (1), 42.5 (2), 62 (2), 72 (3) 52 (1)

Gary is right, buy the 32.5, should be better, sell on the one that loses the battle, it's fun, you learn something it will cost very little which is the beauty of the olde Naim.

The demand is so strong and every one has their favourites.

From my experience I choose the 32.5 over a 42.5.

The 52 was unfortunately not mine or I'd still have it. The 52 is in a different league to all the others and remains one of Naim's finest products.

I'd be quite interested to find out what it would sound like if LesW got his hands on it.

Great, in a single word, and better than a 72 with the same 821's and power supply (although my 102 uses 2+NAPSC as well)

Naim mythology says there was as much variance between the same pre's as there was between different models so audition is important.

The 32 lends itself to board swapping (Avondale,NJ,RSL+DIY) which can be fun and cost effective

Yes, I've owned 32, 32.5, 42, 42.5,42XO, 62, 72 and now a 102. For some reason, I never really got on with the 72, but I like the 102, it's the odd one out that hardly ever gets mentioned; I'd be quite interested to find out what it would sound like if LesW got his hands on it.

Yep - I'd not swap my 102 for any of the above, which is a pity in one respect as I would kinda like to have a CB preamp alongside my CB Hicap & NAP110 ;) Much as I enjoyed my old 42.5, the 102 smokes it in terms of hearing what my sources are capable of.

Mr Tibbs

Yep - I'd not swap my 102 for any of the above, which is a pity in one respect as I would kinda like to have a CB preamp alongside my CB Hicap & NAP110 ;) Much as I enjoyed my old 42.5, the 102 smokes it in terms of hearing what my sources are capable of.

Mr Tibbs

Had the 32.5 then 72 changed to 102 and noticed a big difference in detail etc. then tried the 82 but could not handle it. Too much in yer face for me. Now back to 32.5/hi-cap/140 and loving the honest simplicity of the system.

Thanks for the input/suggestions - much appreciated. :)

Interesing re the comments regarding the 102 as from most quarters people seem to think it's an 'acquired taste' and extremely up-front. Sample variation perhaps, as it would appear for many of the pre amps?

I have owned pretty much every pre from the 12 to the 52. My favourite was the 42.5/hicap/160. I stupidly sold it to fund a 52/250 (no emails on this please, my ears told me I had made a mistake). My take on this is buy the 32.5 and compare. Keep the best pre and best phono boards and sell on the other pre.

In my opinion, the quality of the cb pres is variable. Some are corkers and some are not.

Couple of questions

Firstly, @deepdivedog. I'm curious about your 102 with 2 NAPSC, I thought the usual configuration was 1 NAPSC & a Flatcap or HiCap?

And secondly, is the 52 not a good pairing with a 250?

Thanks for the input/suggestions - much appreciated. :)

Interesing re the comments regarding the 102 as from most quarters people seem to think it's an 'acquired taste' and extremely up-front. Sample variation perhaps, as it would appear for many of the pre amps?

I think Naim had the 'sample variation' thing cracked by the time the 102 was introduced. The NAPSC supply (for the control circuitry) is optional with the 102 but IMO it is a mandatory requirement if you want to hear what is possible from this pre. It also responds very nicely to the addition of a Hicap (much more so than the 42.5 for example). What you get with a 102 is clarity and tunefulness - something that seems to lend itself very well to accurately replaying piano, for example, so that might be of interest to you ;)

Mr Tibbs

What you get with a 102 is clarity and tunefulness - something that seems to lend itself very well to accurately replaying piano, for example, so that might be of interest to you ;)

Mr Tibbs

'La la la I'm not listening' :D

Anyway, it just wouldn't match with the chrome-bumper daaahling.

<in denial? moi?> ;)

Serious head back on, it would appear that in my 42.5 I've got a fine example of the breed - my poor old ears aren't complaining put it that way - so rather then shell out on a major change I'm most likely going to keep as-is. The 'Cap needs a service so will get that done fairly promptly.

Got a friend bringing my old CB Nait 2 up next weekend - now that I most definitely am looking forward to. It went back to Salisbury for a full service about 3 months ago.

The NAPSC supply (for the control circuitry) is optional with the 102 but IMO it is a mandatory requirement if you want to hear what is possible from this pre. It also responds very nicely to the addition of a Hicap

I was somewhat astonished by the improvement to my 102 that resulted from changing from Flatcap to Hicap.

I am less convinced by the improvements wrought by a NAPSC. Having "borrowed" the one from the 102 in order to power my new Headline, I can't say I notice much of a difference, but no doubt the NAPSC will go back to the 102 when I get a Hicap for the Headline.

I was somewhat astonished by the improvement to my 102 that resulted from changing from Flatcap to Hicap.

I am less convinced by the improvements wrought by a NAPSC. Having "borrowed" the one from the 102 in order to power my new Headline, I can't say I notice much of a difference, but no doubt the NAPSC will go back to the 102 when I get a Hicap for the Headline.

NAPSC is not for a headline!

advertisement

Back