advertisement

NA002 transistor

It's a BDY56 in disguise - but you don't want those!

Normal practice is to replace all of them with MJ15003's

So MJ15003 is the way to go... how different do it sounds?
Still hoping to find a spare NA002 though, any help would be really appreciated.

So MJ15003 is the way to go... how different do it sounds?
Still hoping to find a spare NA002 though, any help would be really appreciated.

Try Les @ Avondale Audio, and also put a wanted ad in the DIY classifieds area.

Hope you find one asap.

John.

You can find "NoS" BDY56, BDY58 and BUV20 on ebay quite easily, but as to whether they really are what they claim to be, well that's another question entirely.

In any case they won't have NA002 written on the can.

@quad2fan:
thank you, I'll contact Les W. as I can't put no ad (still under 50 posts).

@colasblue:
plenty of counterfeits around.

@Radfordman:
thank you, I'll ask more informations about the BDY56's they have in stock.

You can find "NoS" BDY56, BDY58 and BUV20 on ebay quite easily, but as to whether they really are what they claim to be, well that's another question entirely.
You can be certain that those from China will be fakes.

A lot of transistors are made under license by various different manufacturers over extended periods of time. Provided it has the correct characteristics (ie meets the spec) and is properly licensed it's fine to sell it as the item described.

EG MJ15003 was originally made by Motorola but is now made exclusively by On Semiconductor.

LM317 regulators are variously made by ST micro, Motorola, National Semiconductor, texas instruments, Fairchild and a good few others.

Its called multiple sourcing and is fairly standard practice in the semiconductor industry.

The original BDY56's would probably have been made by Phillips but they will have long since stopped making them.

A lot of transistors are made under license by various different manufacturers over extended periods of time. Provided it has the correct characteristics (ie meets the spec) and is properly licensed it's fine to sell it as the item described.

EG MJ15003 was originally made by Motorola but is now made exclusively by On Semiconductor.

Onsemi were spun out of Motorola, onsemi were the power division, freescale took the logic and processor side.

Cameron,

You might try calling LesW at Avondale Audio. He may be willing to supply suitable transistors and will probably match them as a pair for you. He might even have some Naim originals.

Jo

Cameron,

You might try calling LesW at Avondale Audio. He may be willing to supply suitable transistors and will probably match them as a pair for you. He might even have some Naim originals.

Jo
Isn't this a quasi comp design, so the matching of outputs is unimportant

Cameron,

Jo

Thank you Jo, I wrote him yesterday.

The NA002 may well be BASED on the BDY56 but might be a selection on one or more parameters - I don't think JV was so cynical as to be re-labelling for the spares business. In which case NOS BDY56s could easily be selection rejects

advertisement

Back