advertisement

n-SATS Internals

Lavantha

pfm Member
Appears something inside one N-Sat speaker is loose which is noticeable when speaker is physically handled. My guess is possibly crossover components have loosened. There is no audible issues when the speakers are playing. Have considered opening the unit but concerned about possibly a gasket around the driver that would be damaged or stripping of speaker driver screws.

Would anyone have experience opening an N-Sat or possibly have photos of internals that might help in a diagnosis of what has loosened. Factory servicing (if available) would be costly as requires shipping to the other side of country plus speakers bouncing around in a courier truck likely not helpful to the problem.

My first instinct is to leave well enough alone....

There is no gasket on nsats

be aware though that internal sponge may well have deteriorated you might want to consider some because once you start messing there it will turn to dust, been there

Thx garyi!

Could you possibly provide a bit more information about what exactly is the internal "sponge"? Is it literally a sponge and if so what does it connect to exactly?

If it is something exclusive to Naim speakers it starts to sound like they will need to be sent off which with speakers I'm always reluctant to do. I scoured the internet and have yet to encounter any pics of the N-Sat internals.

No I just mean the sound insulation stuff. I can try and take a picture tomorrow if I remember, there aint a lot in their lol. I wouldnt be sending them back to naim, the service will be more than they are worth.

Oh I found one on my mac:

008i3skNgy1gypxbqf4htj30u0140gsw.jpg

Not the best but you can see the sponge material, its stuck to the side walls in there, that deteriorates. And you can see there is no goop on the driver. Bear in mind the screws are just that (these really are not very expensive to produce I think) so when putting the driver back don't over tighten you'll just mash the MDF.

Wow! Thank you so very much for doing this garyi!! Very much appreciated.

The movement internally is just in one speaker and you need to tilt or move the speaker to notice it. Whatever is moving feels substantial which in all likelihood is the crossover. I had some Neat Motive 3 which had a similar but more pronounced internal movement which upon further investigation turned out the crossover affixed to the cabinet with a large dollop of adhesive goop had loosened. I only needed to press the crossover and affixed goop against cabinet for a period of time for it to reset. For whatever reason, I've been most reluctant to open up the n-Sats.

As you've highlighted, the cost of sending these on to Naim's authorized repair facility would be cost prohibitive as just shipping would be silly expensive since it at the opposite end of country.

Thanks as well for the heads-up about the potential deterioration of the acoustic foam and also taking care when replacing screws in the MDF. Believe these N-Sats date from 2005 so they are definitely getting a bit long in the tooth.

advertisement

Back