1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mystery Regulator found in Hicap...

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by neiljadman, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:30 AM.

1. neiljadman

neiljadman Senior Member

2. john.luckins

john.luckins pfm Member

Much depends on what the two active devices on each rail are. Can you make out what is written on them? Could be a basic two transistor series regulator or a cap multiplier with a voltage reference to give it some regulation. Given that most Naim kit it will have supplied will have had its own LM317 based linear regulators such a simple but high bandwidth regulator/filter might be no bad thing as it can get rid of a lot of the HF line noise that goes straight through linear regulators and occasionally upsets them.

John

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Someone let the smoke out of that resistor. And the pass element went bang.

4. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

That's an Avondale ASR shunt regulator. That should be easy to fix as the whole thing hasn't been potted in with resin like some we've seen. I don't have a circuit diagram and I don't think Les fixes these any more, preferring instead to fit his TPR4 variant.