advertisement

My Technics AZ80 wireless earphones :)

Hazelberry

sister
I’m reluctant to call this a review as earphone preference is so personal.

Being driven to madness by the commercial radio stations preferred by my work colleagues, I went shopping for ANC earphones. I ended up with a pair of Technics AZ80 on the strength of reviews & user experiences, & I rather like them.

I find them easy to place, they sit well, & are so comfortable that they really feel that there’s nothing in my ears. The setup process is excellent & I have no issues with the app. I’ve been delighted with the sound quality.

Unfortunately ANC isn’t as effective as I’d like with the work radio so I have to increase the volume. Isolation is fairly good anyway. At least being able to listen to my own choice of music is a fine distraction & mood lifter. :D

A kind of negative is that, depending on the track, bass response is all over the place. I think this has more to do with their transparency than anything; they’re ruthless in exposing recording & mastering quality. Compression is obvious. EQ can compensate for this to a point. I’ve found increasing the treble a little improves general clarity to my ears.

The earphones are pricey normally but I was lucky & got them locally on a Black Friday special for 2/3 full retail - a significant saving.

I was considering them, but in the end went for Bose Ultra, ANC, works pretty good, bass is impressive, deep clean and rich. Bass performance I believe is as much about getting a good seal in the ear, so sometimes to check.
The immersion sound setting is a big improvement

After some tweaking I have the ANC working much better with the work radio (& everything else). It’s fantastic in the car.

The ambient mode is brilliant for when I need to hear sounds & voices around me. Great for pottering about at home, too.

The only feature I’d like that appears to be missing is an auto level function to compensate for different track volumes.

Battery life is excellent, better than I need it it to be; basically a whole days worth. I get three full (if slow) charges out of the cradle.

I’m ever more impressed with these earphones. I’m actually alarmed I might prefer them over the hi-fi!

advertisement

Back