advertisement

My recent experience of the Avondale Audio Voyager amps

YNWOAN

100% Analogue

A few weeks ago I received a (very) unexpected call from Les Wolstenholme, main man of Avondale Audio. Now in the interest of clarity I should make it clear that I have known Les, on and off, for something like twenty five years. However, in all that time I’ve only ever owned two Avondale products. The first was a chassis that allowed you to externalise the Naim phono boards from the pre-amp (Nac32.5 and 72) and power them from a separate power supply (I used a Naim Snaps modified for dual rail output). This worked very well but was eventually replaced by a quite different phonostage (non Avondale). The second was the TPR4 regulator module for my Naim Hi-Cap and I still use this. In the meantime I have tried a number of other Avondale designs and, without going into detail, I think it’s fair to say that, whilst beautifully made, they haven’t really aligned with my musical tastes/priorities.

The purpose of Les’ call was to ask if I would like to try a pair of Avondale Voyager power amps, these fitted with Avondale’s latest NCC300 amplifier boards. Now I’m always interested in furthering my audio knowledge and experience so the opportunity to hear a pair of Voyager amps was a ‘no brainer’, as they say. However, as I drove to pick up said amps I must admit I did feel an element of trepidation. The reason for this doubt was that this wasn’t to be my first loan of Voyager amps. A few years ago I had also been loaned a pair and, rather awkwardly, they weren’t to my taste at all - or perhaps they were just too different to my resident Naim Nap135’s. So, given that I wasn’t wild about the previous incarnation why might I like these new (freshly built) ones? Well these new ones used a newer generation of the Avondale circuit (the NCC300) and also, in the intervening years, my system has developed and moved on a bit (it’s not radically different, I don’t go in for wholesale abandoning of components for something entirely different).

Arriving at ‘Avondale Towers’ I quickly caught up with Les and he showed me the inside of one of the Voyagers. As I expected it was very neatly made indeed - not just in terms of the wiring but also the manufacture of the circuit boards - there is nothing DIY or cottage industry about the gear that Avondale make. In the case of the Voyager the front and back ends of the amplifier each have their own power supply, their own transformers and their own banks of reservoir capacitors. In addition, there is a soft-start module and a clever, non invasive, protection circuit that, should a fault occur, save both the amp and the speakers. The whole lot is housed in a large aluminium case and, as can be seen from the picture, the end result is appreciably bigger than my pair of Nap135’s. These amps are no lightweights either and it was with some huffing and puffing that I carried them the three floors to my listening room. My hi-fi racking is modular and, as luck would have it, I happened to have a spare level so that was quickly pressed into use and the Voyager’s were plonked on top.

Actually wiring up the Voyager’s was simplicity itself. Les had loaned me an appropriately terminated Flashback cable which I used to connect my pre-amp to the power amps and all I had to do then was wrestle a bit with my, unfeasibly heavy duty, speaker cable until it too was securely connected. In use there is an on/off switch on the rear which is next to the IEC mains input. There is also a small green LED on the front panel and that’s it. If you really want an on/off switch on the front panel I’m sure Les can accommodate that (though I didn’t actually ask him).

So now let us turn ourselves to the sound - how did the Voyager’s perform? Before we can proceed I need to explain a wrinkle that is related to my system changes I alluded to earlier. This is that my speakers (modified Yamaha NS-1000Ms) are now run semi-active. In other words, the bass drivers are run from their own power amps that also include a digital crossover that handles the crossover to the mid drivers and also includes correction for a couple of room modes). As such, the Nap135’s, that the Voyager’s replaced, only drive the mid and tweeter units through a passive crossover. Hence the ‘semi-active’ term refers to the use of both active and passive crossover elements combined within the same speaker. I could have configured the system so that the Voyager’s ran the speakers full range but this would have required a lot of messing about and a bit of crossover surgery - so I didn’t.

As I wrote before, I plugged in the amps, flicked the mains switch and the front LED glowed - music poured fourth. What there wasn’t was any hum, but there was vanishingly low levels of hiss and no usage issues of any kind - fit and forget. My first impression of the sound was how rhythmically coherent it was - really strikingly so in fact. You couldn’t just pick out individual instruments, it was also very easy to hear precisely the tune each instrument was playing. When I say this I’m talking about complex studio mixes and not simple, minimally miked, recordings. Presumably because of low distortion levels dynamic contrast was really very good and sounds sprang from an apparently absolute silent background. In direct comparison to my 135 amps I would say there was a smidge more detail from the Voyager’s with a similar level of improvement in tonal density. Being monoblocks both sets of amps had really good separation and both produced solid images with clearly specific localisation of individual instruments that didn’t wander with frequency (Naim Olive amps are often accused of poor stereo imagery but this isn’t true of their power amps and their pre-amps can be modified to great effect). The one area one could argue that the 135’s had the edge was in the aspect of..... edge (see what I did there ;)). That is to say that the Naim amps had more of a sense of attack as a note was struck. Whether this is a real or artificial aspect is another matter. Perhaps it’s worth noting that Naim’s current power amps, like the Nap300, have a different sonic signature to the Olive and Chrome Bumper amps of yesteryear (mine are early Olive vintage). Current Naim amps have lost this quality of ‘edge’ and are now a more ‘relaxed’ listen - more so than the Voyager’s which, I feel, successfully balance immediacy with neutrality.

In conclusion, I think it’s fair to say I was impressed by this second opportunity to listen to the Avondale Audio Voyager power amps. These amplifiers are not budget items and I believe they are around £5,000.00 a pair; but, when partnered with a suitable pre-amp and associated equipment of similar quality, they can produce remarkably solid and smooth sound that shines with a wealth of detail and texture and all held together with a rhythmic certainty rarely encountered.

Some will be surprised to read that I was not asked to write this report and when I mentioned to Les that I may well do he shrugged and said “okay, well that’s up to you” (or words to that effect) - so I think it’s fair to say he didn’t try to influence its content and hasn’t been shown a copy. In addition, I have received no payment or reward and have no link with Avondale Audio.

Last edited:
Perhaps I should add that although I wrote all the above on my own volition I realise it is a sort of promo. However, many may well not be aware of Avondale Audio and, where credit is due, I believe in recognising and praising. There is, these days, a lot of high-end gear funded by hugely wealthy venture capitalist money and they can afford to promote their goods irrespective of value or cost. However, cottage industry companies like Avondale Audio have been in continual existence (they’ve never changed name to escape debtors etc.) since I was in my teens and I’m definitely an ‘old hand’ at this game these days. In that time Les has gone from being a keen amateur manufacturer to producing electronics that any big player would be proud of. As I said in my above report, I’ve not loved everything Les has loaned me but, unlike most manufacturers, he’s taken my opinion on the chin and hasn’t just dismissed my views - when I think it’s good I say so!

Last edited:
Thanks for that excellent report Mark. I use a DIY 'Voyager" dual-mono amp in a second system, and jolly good it sounds too. It uses the older (but still excellent) NCC200 boards, but your posting will probably have me waiting until the old chap's up & about before calling him for a set of the NCC300s...

I have owned a couple of pairs of NCC200 based amps. I never really understood what all the fuss was about.

Alan (337alant) brought his NCC300 based amps to my place a while back and I agree that they are very, very good!

Perhaps, as Les is (rightly so) in a permanent state of semi-retirement and is taking things a bit easier due to health reason, that the 'production' of these could be trusted to a few others?

Thanks for the write up Mark, I've been looking forward to reading your thoughts. Not that they would have swayed me from getting my voyagers revamped with the NCC300 boards. Unlike you i love the current amps but, that perhaps isn't a surprise given i have been using Les's amps for over 25 years and have not auditioned anything else.

Sounds like the "Voyager 300" is really good, and I liked the original! Still waiting for mine to be upgraded to NCC300 (since October o_O) but I'm sure they will be worth the wait.

I have also been waiting for a long time to upgrade to the 300 boards, so much so I am looking at selling my 3 x naim olive 250's with avondale qudos amp boards & 200 reg boards and going for naim 500 amps.
Maybe the wrong move but I will see what happens, as I know less has had a few heat problems with the 300 boards in 250's, but I did think that was sorted know.
But it was nice to read your thoughts on them

I'm running NCC220s in Voyager mode and they really are good. I haven't had time to finish my NCC300s but I expect they'll be more of the same which is just fine by me. With the front end regulation being on the same pcb it allows a much tidier build.

advertisement

Back