advertisement

My Phone Appears Close To Death....

I see those folders if I expand 'ZENMINI' on my network. Both of them.. plus the Music folder all show 0 bytes.

The 'CD Quality' Folder which I copied from my Innuos back up disc.. shows all the albums on the Innuos... with this path type: C:\Users\Colin\Music\cd-quality\(album title)..and about 250Gig .

I have tried every way I can think of to copy these files into both the internal phone storage and the SD card... using a wired USB connection. Nothing I have tried so far works. At best I get an empty folder.

This is driving me nuts.

The 'download to device' function on both the 'Squeezeplay' and 'Orange Squeeze' apps which I use as a player and controller for the Innuos.. will not work.

And yet.. last year.. I managed to move a lot of music from my Innuos..to my Samsung Tablet (Tab A) without too much hassle.. but I've slept since and can't recall how I did it.

Have you allowed the phone to be connected as a USB device etc:

How to set up Link to Windows on your Samsung Galaxy phone
  1. Open Settings from the home screen.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
  3. Tap Advanced features. ...
  4. Tap Link to Windows.
  5. Select Link your phone and PC.
  6. Hit Sign in with Microsoft to sign in to your Microsoft account.
What about SideSync?

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/side-sync/

If you can get this far its just a case of dragging music files/directories from the disk to the phone.

You would think so.. But again.. It does not happen. I've tried moving the lot from the backup drive (It's a Western Digital Elements SE 1Tb ) into the phone. A dialogue box appears which says 'Copying'.. then 'Analysing Files' then finally 'copying (The first song from the first album in the list)' but it just sits there doing so for hours. Clearly it's a lot of data so I have tried single albums. All it copies is and empty folder.

I can only assume that the phone dislikes something about the way the music is 'presented' from the back up..as the phone happily accepted music which was already on my PC.

Have you allowed the phone to be connected as a USB device etc:

How to set up Link to Windows on your Samsung Galaxy phone
  1. Open Settings from the home screen.
  2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
  3. Tap Advanced features. ...
  4. Tap Link to Windows.
  5. Select Link your phone and PC.
  6. Hit Sign in with Microsoft to sign in to your Microsoft account.
What about SideSync?

https://www.samsung.com/levant/support/side-sync/

I've not done that specifically.. but the phone happily accepted music which was already on my PC. If I connect it to the PC it is recognised.

Had a look at side sync but again.. far too much unneccessary complication.

P.S. I have checked and the phone is set to allow file transfer via USB.. though I'm mystified as to why such a decision even needs to be made. A file is a file and a storage device is a storage device. USB also carries 5v for charging by default. Far too much unneccessary complication IMO.

P.S. I have checked and the phone is set to allow file transfer via USB.. though I'm mystified as to why such a decision even needs to be made. A file is a file and a storage device is a storage device. USB also carries 5v for charging by default. Far too much unneccessary complication IMO.

I think you're expecting too much...

Phones are simplified these days; as to not need to connect them to a PC and do everything wirelessly.

Technology has changed; you've one of Samsungs latest devices; it's all apps and wireless transfers now etc...

Could be that what you're trying to do isn't a fault of the phone at all

You would think so.. But again.. It does not happen. I've tried moving the lot from the backup drive (It's a Western Digital Elements SE 1Tb ) into the phone. A dialogue box appears which says 'Copying'.. then 'Analysing Files' then finally 'copying (The first song from the first album in the list)' but it just sits there doing so for hours. Clearly it's a lot of data so I have tried single albums. All it copies is and empty folder.

I can only assume that the phone dislikes something about the way the music is 'presented' from the back up..as the phone happily accepted music which was already on my PC.
Something doesn't seem right.

If you plug the 1TB WD Elements disk into the USB port on your (Windows?) computer does it show up and can you see the folders and file names. What extensions do they have? If its something obvious such as flac or mp3 double click one and if you have an up to date Windows installation the file should launch groove music and then start playing. If this is the case next plug the Samsung into another USB port and it should show up as one or mores disks. Locate on the phone the music you have already copied and drag the file you have just played next to that music. It should copy if not there is likely to be some security blocking the xfer and you may have to log into your phone and authenticate to allow the xfer.

If all else fails read the manual............

Cheers,

DV

Last edited:
I think you're expecting too much...

Phones are simplified these days; as to not need to connect them to a PC and do everything wirelessly.

Disagree. Just because phones have new capabilities does not necessarily mean the old ones shouldn't still work. In fact, file transfer via USB and a PC is still the recommended method in the Samsung manual. We aren't all buying into streaming services.

Technology has changed; you've one of Samsungs latest devices; it's all apps and wireless transfers now etc...

Technology has developed.. and there's certainly no shortage of bloatware about.. but what we are discussing here.. is why a simple file transfer will not work. When you say 'It's all this or that now..'.. you remind me of the lad in Tandy's 25 years ago..who told me they no longer sold 'needles' (Stylii) for record players because 'It's all CD now'. He was a bit premature there.. and it was all the funnier because he turned out to be the Brother in Law of a very well known 'proper' hi-fi manufacturer....

Could be that what you're trying to do isn't a fault of the phone at all

That's true. As I've already said.. the Innuos back up folder for each album comprises three 'sub' folders. a JPEG each for 'Cover' and 'Folder' and the album tracks as separate flac files. Maybe that's a format the Samsung doesn't like.
I asked Samsung earlier today. They suggested a couple of programmes/methods which on investigation all require Win10. I'm running an elderly Win 7 machine and not replacing it until the Autumn when the fabled big Win10 upgrade appears.

Something doesn't seem right.

Amen to that! :)

If you plug the 1TB WD Elements disk into the USB port on your (Windows?) computer does it show up and can you see the folders and file names. What extensions do they have?

Yes. Already said so. individual files are FLAC. and there are JPEGS for folders and album covers. It's an ageing Win7 PC. Getting replaced in the Autumn. Please see my reply to hifilover1979, above. It's ageing.. but perfectly capable of old steam driven drag and drop file transfers. As it is not up to date I assume the rest of your para. doesn't apply. I don't even have Media Player on it any more as it was causing problems.

If its something obvious such as flac or mp3 double click one and if you have an up to date Windows installation the file should launch groove music and then start playing.

If all else fails read the manual............

Bin there..dun that... Ad Nauseam..

I do get that; I don't use streaming services at all, I use an app (iSyncr) to wirelessly move tracks from my iTunes account onto my Samsung, it works faultlessly...

And as said; just because it no longer has a native media app (it's YT music now IIC which I just delete); just download whichever music app you want to use (as my per suggestion, I use 'Poweramp')

Have you tried the SD card route yet?

One last try!

My Wife has a new Samsung S20 after wearing out her old Samsung. We have never had any issue with transferring files with both phones in either direction PC<->phone using Win 7, 8.1 and 10.

Can Mull drag an album from the WD 1TB backup disk to the computer desk top and see that the tracks are there and sizes are correct. If he can't do this then there is something incompatible with this WD disk and Windows 7.

If the album does move successfully can this then be dragged from the desktop onto the 'disk' in the Samsung. We are told that file xfer in this direction does work so if this fails ..............

Cheers,

DV

Can Mull drag an album from the WD 1TB backup disk to the computer desk top and see that the tracks are there and sizes are correct. If he can't do this then there is something incompatible with this WD disk and Windows 7.

Yes..he can.

If the album does move successfully can this then be dragged from the desktop onto the 'disk' in the Samsung.

Dunno yet..I'm having a little break but will try tomorrow.

Yes..he can.

If the album does move successfully can this then be dragged from the desktop onto the 'disk' in the Samsung.

Dunno yet..I'm having a little break but will try tomorrow.

I am not sure if it works on your phone but "Bubble upnp" which is available on the Android App store will connect wirelessly to any number of local devices and having selected your source/library then your album if you click on the 3 vertical dots on the top right a series of options comes up one of which is "Download". Click on this and the music will be transferred to your phone (well it works for me at least and good luck!)

.....some time later......

I recounted at some length a while back how my new Samsung A52 would not accept FLAC files out of the back up from my Innuos Zen Mini. Today, I put the phone's SD card in a cheap all singing all dancing docking device and had no trouble copying FLAC files to it. ( I think someone may have suggested that at the time, but I was bloody determined to make the phone comply with my wishes.) Tried the SD Card back in the phone and it was picked up by VLC, no trouble. So I spent a while putting about 100Gig of FLAC files onto my phone. That should give a few options...especially for music to block out the sounds of my knees being sawn apart in the near future.

advertisement

Back