advertisement

My Phone Appears Close To Death....

Well..
I've been playing with my new A52 for a few days now. Generally it works well and I'm slowly working my way through the process of customising it to suit my purposes. Lots more to do and to get my head around but there's no rush.

However.. one thing has me totally mystified so far.. Getting music onto the damned thing. I freely admit to never grasping why music files in particular seem to be so congenitally awkward to deal with but this is ridiculous.

Stepping back a bit... I usually use a little Sansa Clip for portable music.. but since the A52 has much more storage and (I foolishly assumed) more up to date functionality... maybe time to make use of it.

It happened that by coincidence I had just backed up my Innuos Zen Mini to a portable hard drive and on examination..found that my whole digital collection.. as FLAC files comes out at 256 Gig. The A52 has 128gig internal storage plus the 128 SD card I've put in.... Obviously not all available.. but you get my drift?

Initial thoughts were to just stick a bigger SD card in and load the lot onto the phone 'as is'. but I took fright at the price of 256 gig cards. It's not THAT important to me.
So.. next thought was to convert the files to MP3 (best quality obviously) and I wasted hours chasing around after free software to do so but found nothing satisfactory.

Later... somewhere along the way I found myself in the phone's settings and discovered that it will automatically 'Transcode' (i.e. Convert) any downloaded files to MP3... which made me even happier with the time wasted earlier...:mad:

Things get increasingly blurry as I try to recall the number of blind alleys I followed in what ought to be a simple quest.. but looking around the A52 I could find no 'Play Music' type app. Examining the pre-loaded You Tube Music app seemed to say that it could be used also to play my own music.. but.. no joy...

A bit of Googling revealed that Samsung no longer pre-load their 'Samsung Music' app.. but I installed it from the Play Store. Helpfully.. it keeps telling me that it will play my music as soon as I load some...

I also have Orange Squeeze on the A52....as a controller for my Innuos.. and alongside every album/track is a 3 dot menu offering 'Download to device'. tried it..and it places a Download icon at the top of the screen but does nothing else that I can discern.

So.. tried Squeezeplay..which is the player I use for playing stuff from the Innuos on my Android devices. It too has 'Download to device'..which at least comes up briefly with 'Download started'.. after which.. nothing....

Is it me?

Use 'PowerAmp' app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer.unlock&hl=en-GB

It's a great app and then one I use alongside iSyncr to transfer music from my iTunes onto my current Samsung A52 5G ;)

IMO it's a superb phone and does everything I need for it, and it's dual SIM and it cost me £300 via eBay, brand new direct from Samsung device (just unwanted) and came with a Samsung gift receipt. Sold my S21 Ultra and got £500 back in the bank account :D

dont understand the issue - USB C cable to PC. Open the phone on my PC - copy music from my NAS to folders on SD card on phone. Use either Samsung Music to play or BubbleUPnP

With my Moto G 5 transferring music is dead easy. I just USB connect to a PC go into settings on the phone look for USB. Set USB to file transfer. The phone then appears as a pair of drives on the PC. Then I just copy and paste files to the appropriate music sub directory on the phone.
Edit Oops gintonic beat me to it.

dont understand the issue - USB C cable to PC. Open the phone on my PC - copy music from my NAS to folders on SD card on phone. Use either Samsung Music to play or BubbleUPnP
Well yes you'd think so.. but it just isn't happening. Gave up on trying to load from Squeezeplay and reverted to wired connection. If I drag an album over into the phone.. all I get is an empty folder labelled as the album. And the PC is frequently telling me that the phone has stopped or been dsiconnected.. Single tracks.. no better.
seriously pissed off.

Thanks to people suggesting alternate apps etc.. but whilst that may solve the problem in one sense..it really isn't good enough that Samsung's own stuff seems so flakey.

Thanks to people suggesting alternate apps etc.. but whilst that may solve the problem in one sense..it really isn't good enough that Samsung's own stuff seems so flakey.

It's not flakey; it's just changed and you're not used to that...

The apps work as they should; it may be what you're trying to do with them doesn't compute properly...

Right..I had very little music on my PC...For various reasons I no longer have Win Media Player and have never really been able to get on with alternatives. Also.. my whole collection of Digital music is on my Innuos and the Discs are in the loft.
That is why I am trying to load music from my Innuos.. via Squeexeplayer, or from a back up. So far.. no success so there's somewthing the Samsung doesn't like. I found a dozen or so albms in the remnants of my old PC music library and they all copied successfully to the phone. Mor thought needed for the bulk of the music though.,,
Thanks all.

Right..I had very little music on my PC...For various reasons I no longer have Win Media Player and have never really been able to get on with alternatives. Also.. my whole collection of Digital music is on my Innuos and the Discs are in the loft.
That is why I am trying to load music from my Innuos.. via Squeexeplayer, or from a back up. So far.. no success so there's somewthing the Samsung doesn't like. I found a dozen or so albms in the remnants of my old PC music library and they all copied successfully to the phone. Mor thought needed for the bulk of the music though.,,
Thanks all.
Therefore the problem is not with the phone.

"If I drag an album over into the phone.. all I get is an empty folder labelled as the album." So from where did you drag the folder? If it was from 'Music' then I believe that is the problem. I have never used Innuos so I may be wrong. You should have two other shared folders try them instead.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks all.

What about inserting the MicroSD card into an adapter (if you have one) connect that to your computer, move the music across, reinsert SD card into your phone and try it that way.

Look in Google the specs of what music format the phone can manage too, to confirm what you can/can't play etc

Therefore the problem is not with the phone.

"If I drag an album over into the phone.. all I get is an empty folder labelled as the album." So from where did you drag the folder? If it was from 'Music' then I believe that is the problem. I have never used Innuos so I may be wrong.

Cheers,

DV

DV.. you are right. the problem is not with the phone. I dragged the files from a component of the Innous backup which appears as 'CD quality' and seems to contain all necessary data, such as the music files, metadata etc.... Innuos offers ripping in FLAC or WAV. AIUI, WAV generally uses more data. I listened to both and could hear no difference so I went with FLAC. It therefore seems logical to me that when backing up the Innuos to a portable drive I get a load of FLAC files. The phone is capable of dealing with FLAC, WAV ,OGG and numerous other audio codecs. I found myself somewhere deep in the phone settings which stated that any music loaded onto the phone will be 'transcoded' to MP3..though it didn't state which bitrate etc.

You should have two other shared folders, try them

You lost me there... Please expand.

Look in Google the specs of what music format the phone can manage too, to confirm what you can/can't play etc
It can definitely deal with most common codecs..and many I've never heard of. If all else fails..I'lltry the SD card trick. Thanks.

In addition to Music you should see these two folders

Auto-Import
Unsorted

As I said above I have never had a play with Innuos and am using the 'best guess' approach.

Cheers,

DV

I see those folders if I expand 'ZENMINI' on my network. Both of them.. plus the Music folder all show 0 bytes.

The 'CD Quality' Folder which I copied from my Innuos back up disc.. shows all the albums on the Innuos... with this path type: C:\Users\Colin\Music\cd-quality\(album title)..and about 250Gig .

I have tried every way I can think of to copy these files into both the internal phone storage and the SD card... using a wired USB connection. Nothing I have tried so far works. At best I get an empty folder.

This is driving me nuts.

The 'download to device' function on both the 'Squeezeplay' and 'Orange Squeeze' apps which I use as a player and controller for the Innuos.. will not work.

And yet.. last year.. I managed to move a lot of music from my Innuos..to my Samsung Tablet (Tab A) without too much hassle.. but I've slept since and can't recall how I did it.

Can you plug your backup disk (I assume USB) into your computer and your phone also via USB as well. You should then see both the backup disk and the phone as storage devices. If you can get this far its just a case of dragging music files/directories from the disk to the phone.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back