advertisement

My new 55-200 and some Linn

flatpopely

Prog Rock/Moderator
Thanks to Cliffpatt I am the proud owner of a Nikkor 55-200mm lens. I know my little camera (D40) and lenses are not much but I am really pleased with the results so far.

My Ittok and Troika

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Hi Fi/As of Feb 09/DSC_2217.jpg

My first night shot. I reckon on my EQ3 motor driven mount I'm going to get some good shots. I just pointed it at the sky and still managed to get a double star and a low density cluster.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/Telescope/DSC_2188.jpg

I know they're shit in real terms but I am happy and its just the beginning.

and a low density cluster.

Keep using the ointment... it'll soon clear up :)

Seriously though, I only started trying to take pics about a year or so back and only got my first DSLR in August 2008. It doesn't take long before you are producing acceptable shots, including the odd gem.

In my view, unless you are exceptionally talented it is difficult if not impossible to produce consistently 'high end' shots, but the more you understand your camera and the more you practice, the more you increase the likelihood of getting a great shot.

If you have any queries, the people in here are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. In my experience, they will always do their best to offer useful advice. Also, in here there is a different view of what makes a good pic. Not too many sunsets and fluffy bunnies, but more of a 'documentary' feel to much of the stuff, which I think encourages you to look for photo opportunities in unlikely or less obvious places.

The people in my office, who have seen some of my shots on Flickr seem to think I'm some sort of 'ace' photographer, which I clearly am not, but I suppose I've moved beyond the 'holiday and party snaps' standard.

One female colleague was even so kind as to produce a collage of my shots and print it onto a t-shirt,which she gave me for my 60th birthday, along with a desk diary containing one of my pics for each month of the year. I was very touched.

Mull

advertisement

Back