advertisement

My Naim CDi and Mark Slade @ Witch Hat

Gaius

pfm Member
Such a brilliant machine but mine had some glitches, so off it went to MJS at Witch Hat.

I asked Mark to give it the 5 star treatment; I want this thing for another decade at least.

It came back today and I let it warm up, it looked like new, such a good job cleaning it up.

But the way it sounds now is just amazing, it was always good but man this is top notch.

I've played all my test discs and been blown away.

So my thanks and very high recommendations to Mark at Witch Hat.

Mark

It really does Gary!

echann, it had a full service replacing many capacitors, replacement CDM4 laser head and a proper clean.

Good to know Gaius, thanks. I've got one too and it's nice to know it could be looked at if it ever got a glitch.
I use it sparingly as it is to prolong its life.
One thing I have noticed with it though is this.

When switched on for the first time after it's been switched off a week or 2 the "Naim" light flickers slightly on the left side of it. Once warm it's rock solid.
Strangely if I switch off and switch on in a day or so it is still rock solid.
It just very slightly flickers when it's been off for an extended period, any ideas?
Everything else on it is 100%.

Also how would I tell which laser I have in I? I know it's original.
Finally I've seen some use top hat pucks, mine uses a flat puck, were there different models?, there is no slippage whatsoever.
Thanks.

It could be an electrolytic capacitor in the power supply reforming. If this happens over just a few weeks power down its time for a service and a recap.

Cheers,

DV

Thanks for that. I should speak to gaius then I reckon on what it'd cost to fix this tiny problem, other than this it's 100%

Best CD player I ever heard (well, apart from the orginal CDS), and owned - bitterly regret selling mine. Bet it sounds as good as new now.
Enjoy Mark! You lucky bugger you! :D

John

Best CD player I ever heard (well, apart from the orginal CDS), and owned - bitterly regret selling mine. Bet it sounds as good as new now.
Enjoy Mark! You lucky bugger you! :D

John

Me too and it does, lucky boi indeed!

Also how would I tell which laser I have in I? I know it's original.
Finally I've seen some use top hat pucks, mine uses a flat puck, were there different models?...
Thanks.

the CDi was supplied with 2 types of Philips CDMs during its life, the 4 and the 9. yours, judging by the clamp as you described, should be the CDM9 version, though a photo should definitely help

I love this player and it's why I still have mine. It's worth noting that we can fix most Naim CD players and they all get the 5 star service.

the CDi was supplied with 2 types of Philips CDMs during its life, the 4 and the 9. yours, judging by the clamp as you described, should be the CDM9 version, though a photo should definitely help

Thanks for that, here's a couple of pics. Also it's a 1995 serial no. 106xxx build.
Just switched it on now and Naim light is solid, no problems.
I'd like to get it looked over though by MJS, it's just transport of the thing that worries me after seeing the wrecked turntable thread.

Thanks again

P1010572_zpsb567ea49.jpg

P1010569_zpsd1ca11f8.jpg

That's a CDM9 pro transport in the CDI. It doesn't suffer the turntable problem like the ones in the CD3 do.

Just a note on transporting the CDI - don't forget the transit screws lock the entire sprung PCB down, and must be used or you risk breaking one of the springs...like I did when I needed to move mine and couldn't find the screws. I locked down the mech with bubble wrap, and protected the swing arm in the same way...but forgot the other end of the board would still be free to bounce about.

Those nice people at Naim sent me a replacement free of charge (2 years ago) - very nice given my stupidity :)

advertisement

Back