advertisement

My My My delilah

Yes, it appears so. I’ve only read the BBC bullshit and the use of the word “ban” is not defined at all. Based on what they have written (and by drilling down to other articles as the linked one is so badly written and fact-free) it appears the Welsh Rugby Union has decided not to perform one song in certain locations. That is 100% their right to define and implement. It is certainly not a “ban” in any legal sense of the word. It is a marketing decision. The BBC article and this thread reads like yet more manufactured alt-right anti-woke culture-war bullshit, and sadly I expect that from the BBC now. The reality appears to be a sport/entertainment business making a decision it has every right to make for whatever reason it chooses.

If anyone wants to talk about bans it makes far more sense to discuss the Tory ban on many aspects of public protest, the right to strike etc. This stuff is very real in a legal/police-state sense and is all part of creeping fascism. A sportsball company deciding not to sing a song really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

British Broadcasting CHAOS...

It’s a pretty terrible song, the outrage Is manufactured by those in favour of singing it.

Indeed. Alas, the inevitable PC WOKEFLAKES GONE MAD!!! response from clueless ****s seems to be the only story here.

As for Tom, I remember when he covered Prince’s ‘Kiss’, he changed the Women, not girls, rule my world line to Women AND girls rule my world. What was that about?! : )

Hey Joe is another one of those awkward songs, but it could be a lot better if the lyrics were updated. For example,

“Hey @Joe P, where you going with that phaser in your hand?”.

Indeed. Alas, the inevitable PC WOKEFLAKES GONE MAD!!! response from clueless ****s seems to be the only story here.

As for Tom, I remember when he covered Prince’s ‘Kiss’, he changed the Women, not girls, rule my world line to Women AND girls rule my world. What was that about?! : )
Let’s just say, he has a bit of form.

The outrage is entirely political and manufactured. This is a rather dull misogynistic song from the 1960s. It is what it is, and I’d not even accuse Tom Jones of being a misogynist for singing it. You won’t find it in my record collection as I just don’t think it is good, but you will find a lot of Throbbing Gristle, Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, even a copy of Devo’s ‘Mongoloid’ (though I’d argue that one hasn’t aged well despite a great riff).

Degenerate art should be encouraged in all its forms. It irks the fascists and control-freaks.

PS The Dead Kennedys are as ‘politically correct’ as it gets. Jello Biafra is a remarkably intelligent and articulate person IMO.

Nazareth did a good version, I think, which was obviously a parody Alex Harvey was done up like a demented clown when he sang it, isn’t it some crap Australian song from when they abused everyone from the local population to adopted children?

advertisement

Back