advertisement

My first speaker measurements - any advice appreciated :)

jamington2004

pfm Member
i started another thread about setting up a subwoofer - and the main response was too get measuring first!

So - subwoofers aside, I borrowed an UMIK1 from a kind fish. Then I watched a REW tutorial for dummies and it made feel sick. Clearly I am even lower than a dummy

Then I discovered an app called House Curve - now that’s more my cup of tea!! :)

So it appears my speakers go down to about 31hz at -3.7db. Also I have a big peaks and dips

As I understand it’s best to leave the dips well alone as increasing those freq can make them worse. Also best to avoid eq to the whole frequency range as it can lead to a whole world of pain?

So I set the EQ Target from 40 - 100hz? And it generated a suggested response curve (B&K target) and associated 10 band PEQ file

I can load this to my Devialet amp (a recent discovery I was excited to find) but it looks a bit fiddly to tweak (remove SD card - change text file - save to SD card and insert back in amp)

So would like to see if I’m on the right track before going ahead - with some advice from you lovely sound experts out there

P.S - just getting this far I feel like some kind of hifi god all of a sudden! :) It has always been like a dark art to me - but once I ran away from REW and found an easy to use App - it’s actually quite simple :)

So here we go - first image is the response graph, second is the corrected graph from 40-100hz. Then below is suggested PEQ settings

https://share.icloud.com/photos/09c2-nd5C15hCaxA23YNhJx2Q

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0589rM_zFcGnz9bNPzc1hjPIw

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 40 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 1.533
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 42 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 10.000
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 46 Hz Gain -7.2 dB Q 6.289
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 51 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 10.000
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 64 Hz Gain 1.7 dB Q 4.780
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 84 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 8.797
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 98 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 10.000
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 111 Hz Gain -7.9 dB Q 4.367

Looks like a good start. I’d have a couple of familiar tracks to hand and listen to them, then make the change and repeat the tracks. I’d also try - and this is more difficult for me at least - to leave the new setting in place for a bit, unless you really don’t get on with it.

The valley around 60 Hz is likely the room influence, so yes, don’t try and boost!

I also own devialet expert pro and done some measurement and testing the filters.
My conclusion came to:The less the better.

advertisement

Back