advertisement

My first Japanese whisky

cutting42

Arrived at B4 Hacker Ergo
To my knowledge I have never tried Japanese whisky so when tempted into a whisky shop today in St Albans I was talked into this. Anyone know their Japan whiskies?

A3806041-C10F-44C4-9395-932925DBE8A5_zpsynwozgtc.jpg

Sorry, can't help with that one but in general Japanese malts are meant to be some of the very best malts so I don't doubt yours will be much the same.

"Oily, smoky and fragrant", might seem unlikely, but that is what I am lead to believe it tastes like. There are 5 vintages, but none I have found are 43%. If you can say how long it has matured I can identify more of it's characteristics. If 10 year old it will taste a little like Ardbeg Renaissance.

Was that the Tomoko Spirits Boutique in St Albans? If so Google them and sign up on their website, you'll get invitations to all sorts of tasting events which is a great way of trying lots of spirits without having to buy a bottle of each.

They are pretty knowledgeable in there and in addition to their great range of Whisky, they have a reasonable range of some unusual Gin's.

Did you go to the record shop in St Albans as well? It is in Heritage Place, just across the road from the clock tower and The Boot pub.....

Nikka is pretty good stuff, quite a straight forward, smooth drink from my recollection. More like a Macallan than an Ardbeg.

Nikka is pretty good stuff, quite a straight forward, smooth drink from my recollection. More like a Macallan than an Ardbeg.

Yeah some Nikka whiskies are 'fruity and spicey', they are from Miyagikyo. The whisky they make in Yoichi (as shown on bottle) is described as 'smoky and peaty'.

The above is taken from Dave Broom's - The World Atlas of Whisky.

Anyone know their Japan whiskies?

Yep. The founder of Nikka, Masataka Taketsuru, came to Glasgow University in 1918 to study Chemistry, but also became apprenticed in the whisky trade and trained as a blender. Nikka were founded in 1934.

I always pick up a couple of bottles of this when I'm in Japan.

0008054_400.jpeg

I can recommend all their whiskies, though the Yoichi 10 year old is probably my favourite.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/yoichi-10-year-old-whisky/

they have a reasonable range of some unusual Gin's.

I don't know much about Whiskey but we had a "Gin Off" at my sister's over Xmas. The ones most of us liked:

-- Tanqueray No. Ten
-- Bloom
-- Portabello Road

But the new standout for me was Caorunn. Makes a lovely G&T with a slice of Red Delicious apple.

And don't forget Lidl Gin for the best bang per buck.

I don't know much about Whiskey but we had a "Gin Off" at my sister's over Xmas. The ones most of us liked:

-- Tanqueray No. Ten
-- Bloom
-- Portabello Road

But the new standout for me was Caorunn. Makes a lovely G&T with a slice of Red Delicious apple.

And don't forget Lidl Gin for the best bang per buck.

You should try The Botanist, a gin made in Islay. It is splendid in a G&T, or a Ramos Fizz.

Was that the Tomoko Spirits Boutique in St Albans? If so Google them and sign up on their website, you'll get invitations to all sorts of tasting events which is a great way of trying lots of spirits without having to buy a bottle of each.

They are pretty knowledgeable in there and in addition to their great range of Whisky, they have a reasonable range of some unusual Gin's.

Did you go to the record shop in St Albans as well? It is in Heritage Place, just across the road from the clock tower and The Boot pub.....

Yes, that's the place. I was in St Albans helping my wife spend her White Stuff Christmas vouchers in the sales and escaped for a bit ;-)

The chap in the shop seemed very knowledgeable and helped with suggestions around the Japanese malts. His suggested it had a bit of peat and smoke and was a great whisky to introduce one's self to them.

Missed the record shop on this occasion but know it well!

advertisement

Back