Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

My first few days with Roon - thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'audio' started by Fin, Jul 18, 2020.

1. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Yep, JRiver is superb, but I think I will let my annual renewal drop this year as I just don’t use it any more, Roon has taken its place because of the Qobuz integration. If JRiver changed their mind about Qobuz and Tidal I’d be back like a shot.

2. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Yes, there’s no problem having the music on a second external disc - that’s what I do with my Mac Mini.

jackbarron likes this.
  3. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Just trying a Roon trial and my node works just fine but cannot get any audio out of my squeezebox Classic. I have done everything recommended regarding resetting, enabling in Roon, removing LMS in Core, fixed/variable volume out, Analogue/Digital out all no joy. When you look at the SB it is "playing" the track and can be paused etc as normal, just no audio output... Any thoughts?

4. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

No real suggestions - I don’t have a Squeezebox - but try clicking on the star next to the name of the playing track at the bottom of the screen, that will show you the signal path that Roon’s using.

5. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Thanks and yes, I've seen that and the path looks fine in fact everything looks fine just no audio output from the SB....

6. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

There’s a guy on the Roon forum that had a similar issue and fixed it with a reset ..

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/no-audio-on-squeezebox-classic/9090/11

here are a variety of other posts about issues with the classic. It took me two goes to get my Touch working.

https://community.roonlabs.com/search?q=Squeezebox classic

7. garyi

garyi leave blank

The last time I paid way back when they simply refused to engage with any possibility of streaming tidal/spotify etc etc. Is this still the case?

8. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Yes, they are still opposed to Tidal/Qobuz/Spotify/Amazon integration. Great software in its day, but can’t see how they can hope to survive if they don’t integrate with streaming services.

9. garyi

garyi leave blank

Yes it does not present any value to me in that case, there are millions of ways to stream just your own content. Plex for instance is free and looks far nicer than Jriver.

AndyU likes this.
  10. scotty38

scotty38 pfm Member

Thanks I saw that and that's why I tried the reset etc to no avail. I actually replied to that topic but was asked to create a new one so I have done that too.

AndyU likes this.
  11. seethroughyou

seethroughyou pfm Member

Truly, sorry to hear them abuse you. Terrible terrible attitude of that salesman. On an unrelated point, I want to ask a genuine question and I hope i don’t offend you in any way. You are clearly a great contributor and have helped loads on the forum, but why do you have a picture of Vladimir Putin wearing shades as your profile picture please?

12. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

I did it for a laugh. I thought he'd be a suitable avatar to stop me from being attacked by some of the right-wing nutters on pfm. Putin looks like he's trying to hide his dodginess behind the shades, but underneath it all doesn't really care. Unfortunately it hasn't worked. I might change the picture at some point, I'm not sure what into ...

Jack

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  13. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Recognising your love of all things Chelski, how about changing it to Lampard, Wilkins, Hoddle or, going further back, the late great Jimmy Greaves.

14. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Do you know something we don't?:confused:

15. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Frank Lampards Derby County Chelsea Pink Fish Media ?

16. jackbarron

Signed up for another two week trial of Roon and reinstalled it. I'd forgotten just how great music sounds through it.

In the last few months I've been using Tidal, iTunes and occasionally Spotify. Roon to my ears is way ahead in terms of sound reproduction.

The Roon folder has gone into the Mac Mini's Library on the SSD. It's 12.3 GB, most of which is the database. I've put the Backups a level higher.

I haven't properly checked yet, but it appears to have easily found a lot of my music files.

The quality is is excellent and well worth the $9.99 a month, which is what I think it costs. The chances are I'll partner it with Qobuz.

Jack

17. jackbarron

I'm not so sure Tony would be happy about that. :D

Jack

18. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

In my experience it sees all the music in the folder you point it at. Sometimes it does not find the album in its own database but it still lists it with an "unidentified"

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  19. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Woops my mistake, he’s still alive.

I got the great bit right anyway - 1 out of 2 ain’t bad.

20. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

I suspect he might beg to differ.;)