advertisement

My first few days with Roon - thoughts and questions

New roon user here having moved from Logitec which is very full featured but a hotch potch of development. The roon user experience and interface is leagues ahead but then given the cost nothing less is expected.

I'm finding some things in roon are not quite what I expected. For instance multi room is great but if you have a pi in one room and a chromecast in another they will not sync. Only same devices will do this.

Roon found my NAS and my Qobuz/Tidal accounts instantly with no faff. Lms seems to lose the plot regularly which was driving me nuts. Plus I could not see the album artwork on LMS as everything is crammed onto one screen on my tablet even with the newer material skin.

Getting others to navigate settings in LMS is hopeless as its far too complex.

Imo nothing beats Roon at the moment. LmS has the potential but I fear will always trail Roon.

Roon is cheaper than Tidal and Qobuz per month
and so it should be!
Tidal and/or Qobuz give you the keys to an enormous library of music which allows you to discover stuff that would otherwise likely remain unknown to you.
I personally can't see the value of Roon.

and so it should be!
Tidal and/or Qobuz give you the keys to an enormous library of music which allows you to discover stuff that would otherwise likely remain unknown to you.
I personally can't see the value of Roon.

Well, for a start Roon makes that discovery process even better.

I've been using Roon for several years now and imho there's nothing on the market to compare in terms of seamless library integration and control. Running ROCK on a NUC and HQPlayer on a MacBook Pro upsampling to 768K to my DAC. A lifetime subscription eases the pain of the cost.

What kind of NUC are you talking about? If it was barebones I assume you've added RAM and a SSD or hard disc.

Jack

I'm a fairly recent convert to Roon (I trialled last Autumn, and bought a lifetime sub shortly before the price went up - phew!). Personally, having a large local library and a Qobuz sub I think it's superb. I couldn't see the point of it before the trial, but wouldn't be without it now.
I use a Linn DS and much as I think it sounds great, I've never been impressed by the flaky, overly simplistic control point/server combinations available. Over the last eleven years I've tried all of Linn's solutions and those of a fair few others, but none gives me the experience commensurate with the quality of the hardware. Roon does.

Mick

Nice software.Ran it for 3 years until I needed to make some financial adjustments.Now running free software through Pi4 and surprisingly not missing it.

I’m happy enough with Roon, it could be better for sure, but there’s nothing that integrates Qobuz and my own music with my hifi more effectively or enjoyably. The links and suggestions are great. Wish the search was better, and wish there were better ways of organising one’s library but I’m not quite sure what they would be! Trouble I’m finding after a couple of years of Roon and Qobuz is kinda being overloaded with choice and so many new things to listen to such that core music is being swamped.

With seamless file playback, integrated Tidal and Qobuz, I struggle to imagine why I need to pay the Roon premium over Audirvana.

As a minor aside, I did find I had to tweak the folder setup for multi-disc locally stored albums.
Before Roon (and using Asset as a server), I had multi-disc albums stored as:-

Artist - Album (CD1)/*.*
Artist - Album (CD2)/*.* etc.

But Roon doesn't like that, so instead I had to change it thus

Artist - Album/CD1/*.*
-------"--------/CD2/*.* etc.

Mick

roon is still the most stable software based streaming platform out there. if you go hardware related, Aurender & Melco both do great UPNP devices with highly respectable UI's

As a minor aside, I did find I had to tweak the folder setup for multi-disc locally stored albums.
Before Roon (and using Asset as a server), I had multi-disc albums stored as:-

Artist - Album (CD1)/*.*
Artist - Album (CD2)/*.* etc.

But Roon doesn't like that, so instead I had to change it thus

Artist - Album/CD1/*.*
-------"--------/CD2/*.* etc.

Mick

I use iTunes to organise the music and then have Roon looking at the iTunes library folder. It’s easy to combine several albums into a single one in Roon, but that would be a pain if you had lots of recordings with more than one disc.

I've been using Roon for about 15 months.
Mine is installed on my does-everything Mac with the music files on a mix of external and internal drives (soon to be tidied up). Control is mostly at the Mac and occasionally on the iPad of phone (I can read the 27" screen more easily).

My dealer offered lifetime Roon as part of my upmarket streamer-DAC purchase - with hindsight, miles better than a discount.

I would not be without it and even think that, even at its current lifetime price and in the context of my system, it's great value for money. It's a cut above the other two control interfaces I've used.

In tandem with dbpoweramp Roon makes ripping and organizing classical a doddle - rip, check, correct, next disc...

With seamless file playback, integrated Tidal and Qobuz, I struggle to imagine why I need to pay the Roon premium over Audirvana.
Does Audirvana integrate Qobuz and your own library in one place? Last time I tried it it didn’t - there was a Qobuz bit and a your own library bit.

Hi all
So far, very happy...
Is there an alternative to Roon...Fin

i really wanted to use Roon. I have no doubt its the best. I use Bluesound, Chromecast, Yamaha’s Music cast as well as Audioengine D2s to add modern streaming and ripping capabilities to my system(s). Taken together, these devices provide most, but not all of Roons capabilities, but with totally inconsistent user interfaces depending in what function is being used. And no music discovery like Roon. But no monthly fees! Thats really important to me and outweighs other factors, unfortunately.

My hodgepodge of equipment and software is complex, but it works. I was hoping Roon’s price might go down, which often happens with digital technology, But Roon has gotten *more* expensive. It also hasn’t been wholly adopted by third parties like Chromecast, which probably contributes to the continuing high price.

congrats on your purchase of Roon. I’m jealous!

I've no idea how I'd make Roon work, though I'm tempted by what people describe as its userfriendliness. I've got a WD Mybooklive as my NAS (.wav rips, mostly) and a Primare Pre32 with MM30 digital board. I also listen to internet radio via the Primare apps, especially La Baroque from France Musique. So far it all just works via the Primare apps, but how would/could Roon make it better ? No streaming services yet, though Qobuz always tempts, but there are only so many hours in a day. What am I missing ?

With seamless file playback, integrated Tidal and Qobuz, I struggle to imagine why I need to pay the Roon premium over Audirvana

This type of thread comes along on here every so often. I’ll say the same as usual - I have at least 6 different end points, from four different manufacturers. I also want seamless integration with Qobuz and my ripped cds, and to access them with one app via iPad, iPhone or Mac.

It’s also introduced me to plenty of new music.

Just ask yourself what you want it to do? It isn’t for everyone, and nor should it be. Also, I don’t think anyone on here is saying it’s the be all and end all.

Reactions: Fin

advertisement

Back