advertisement

My first direct drive TT

Tim Jones

pfm Member
Looks like I have now entered the slightly weird, if hallowed halls of the double deck owners, having picked up one of these from a fellow fishie yeterday:

I had my heart set either on one of these, or on the Pioneer PL71D, but haven't seen one of those for a while. My reasons/pathetic self-justification for this are almost solely to run with MMs as a deck for pop and electronica. I am very happy with my P10/Apheta 3 for anything needing more refinement and fidelity. I can run both decks, using my spare DV P75 as an MM stage for the Sony.

This one seems to be in utterly mint condition, with the original lid completely unmarked. Sadly the (very good) AT 150mlx cart installed on the deck was totalled during packing, so I've had to put a spare VM95E on it, but have a VM740ML turning up tomorrow. That said, I'm pretty impressed so far. The arm is interesting - one of the first carbon fibre tubes in production I think, a couple of years before Kenwood put one on the L07. Other than that, it reminds me of the old Rega R200, though happily with a better anti-skate.

The common failure mode for these, AIUI, is that the Hall-effect drive requires the magnetised strip on the inside of the platter to be in good condition, otherwise it won't work - but all seems fine there. I can't quite work out if, other than that, the drive is Quartz-locked like the later Technics DDs. What I can work out is that DD bass seems all present and correct, although feels little unfair to judge it with a 95E on it.

I’ve always wanted to own a Technics direct drive turntable and one turned up within driving
distance.
Complete with an SME arm.
I sold my old AR XA for about £200, which I bought for about £50 a fair few years ago.
Beautifully engineered and with the SME looks gorgeous.

I’ve always wanted to own a Technics direct drive turntable and one turned up within driving
distance.
Complete with an SME arm.
I sold my old AR XA for about £200, which I bought for about £50 a fair few years ago.
Beautifully engineered and with the SME looks gorgeous.
From me I think if it was the 150mk2

The common failure mode for these, AIUI, is that the Hall-effect drive requires the magnetised strip on the inside of the platter to be in good condition, otherwise it won't work - but all seems fine there. I can't quite work out if, other than that, the drive is Quartz-locked like the later Technics DDs. What I can work out is that DD bass seems all present and correct, although feels little unfair to judge it with a 95E on it.
There are other failure modes sadly, which involve parts of the motor disintegrating but, fortunately this is rare! It is not a quartz locked design - you needed the PS-8750 for that.

Lovely deck - enjoy it!

Yes, I could have just bought a stylus, but felt like a new cart in any case.

The arm is the conundrum for me. From the manual (found online), it does seem to be height adjustable at the base, but a specific tool is needed, which I don't have. While the headshell has no overhang adjustment (it's just holes, not slots, a la Aro), it seems to be set up for modern ATs. I might buy a new headshell if I'm minded to (eg) put the Benz Ace SL I have hanging around on it for giggles.

I’ve just taken the plunge on what looks like a very tidy Trio/Kenwood KD500 on eBay. The armboard is for an SME 3009, so I’m planning to put my Mission 774 arm on it. Think it could be an interesting combination. Just need to find the right cartridge for it. Don’t think my DV17 D2 Karat will be ideal, but will probably give it a try. I also have a 2M Black, but would prefer to use a coil if poss, because my Arkless GTi stage is sounding so good ATM.

I had one for a while and loved it. It was more or less given to me by a very generous wam member. I collected a few of the original Sony headshells and had a few mm carts to swop.

Yes, I could have just bought a stylus, but felt like a new cart in any case.

The arm is the conundrum for me. From the manual (found online), it does seem to be height adjustable at the base, but a specific tool is needed, which I don't have. While the headshell has no overhang adjustment (it's just holes, not slots, a la Aro), it seems to be set up for modern ATs. I might buy a new headshell if I'm minded to (eg) put the Benz Ace SL I have hanging around on it for giggles.
I think if you look closely you'll find that the tonearm height adjust tool simply fit into an Allen grub screw (on the record side of pillar).

Sony PS-8750 height adjust screw:
Sony-PS-8750-height-adjust-screw.webp

Same for the 6750 arm, and very grateful to you for that. I put too much store by the manual and its references to special tools....

Slightly confused by the point that there is apparently VTA adjustment at the headshell though. I guess it could be both.

That said, I genuinely don't really like the arms in these 70s decks, whatever their carbon fibre tubes etc. The counterweight on this one doesn't really like going far back enough to accommodate the whole...8g of the AT VM740. If I could fit an RB330, I would, but that seems unlikely.

Most '70s Japan Inc. decks came with an auxiliary counterweight that plugged into the open end of the end stub.

Here we go. From the manual...

Cartridge weight range:​
4 - 10g (without extra weight)
10 - 15g (with extra weight)​

The headshell isn't VTA adjustable, however, both overhang and azimuth are accommodated via a tiny slotted set screw at the side where the shell clamps onto a shaft that forms part of the pins plug. Overhang is best set with a ruler, 51mm from face of pins plug flange to stylus tip.

Sony-PS-6750-headshell-adjust.jpg

Most '70s Japan Inc. decks came with an auxiliary counterweight that plugged into the open end of the end stub.

Here we go. From the manual...

Cartridge weight range:​
4 - 10g (without extra weight)​
10 - 15g (with extra weight)​

The headshell isn't VTA adjustable, however, both overhang and azimuth are accommodated via a tiny slotted set screw at the side where the shell clamps onto a shaft that forms part of the pins plug. Overhang is best set with a ruler, 51mm from face of pins plug flange to stylus tip.

Sony-PS-6750-headshell-adjust.jpg

Very helpful, thank you. I don't have the auxiliary counterweight, sadly.

advertisement

Back