advertisement

My Dog's health concerns

twotone

pfm Member
Hi guys, just looking for some advice/comments regarding my two year old Sprocker Spaniel.

I'm going to the vet with him on Friday for his yearly jabs so I'm going to ask the vet to look at his apparent health issue too.

I've not had a dog for forty odd years until now so I've nothing really to compare therefore I've no idea if this is normal or there's maybe an underlying problem but I do think that there's something not right with him.

The issue seems to be that he is absolutely shattered after his daily walks but recently with the advent of the hot weather his night time walk leaves him totally exhausted and panting really heavily and it takes him about a good half an hour to calm down but even tonight, with the weather a bit colder, we only had him out for maybe twenty minutes fifteen of which was chasing a ball and he could barely walk home despite us living about two minutes away from where we were walking him.

He's a male Sprocker spaniel aged two years & three months, he's more of a springer than a cocker (his mum is a springer) and his weight is fine at 23kgs (I'm obsessed with his weight), he eats well and doesn't really get many treats, he drinks plenty of fresh water, has a good daily diet of grain free wet food and grain free kibble. He also gets about four raw chicken legs a day, two after each walk. He's pretty much been on this diet now for about a year with no issues at all, his coat is fine and he doesn't scratch himself much, his teeth & gums are really healthy looking and his eyes are fine.

There's no problems toilet wise, his poos are solid in the morning and a bit softer in the evening but he's as regular as clockwork and he sleeps all night and has done since he was a puppy.

I walk him every morning for at least an hour and sometimes up to two hours and he gets an evening walk of maybe about half an hour to an hour at most.

I've averaged about 7kms per day walking him since Jan 2017 until now and from when he started going out at 12 weeks back in 2016 I averaged 4.5 kms per day so he probably averages at least double what I'm walking per day or even a wee bit more but recently, in the last month, I've noticed that our walks are getting shorter and he's not running about as much as he did before that.

He is basically sleeping about 16 to 18 hours a day now, he goes to sleep at about eight o'clock in the evening and gets up with us during the week at about 8am but on the weekend it could be ten am before he gets up then he has his daily walk, his breakfast and then he'll sleep from about eleven o'clock until about five o'clock then he has his evening meal and we take him out about six and then he starts to go to sleep at about eight, sometimes he'll go into the garden for the toilet at about ten then he'll go to bed with us around eleven pm.

He developed elbow dysplasia in his right elbow when he was about 12 months old (he developed bad limp) and he underwent keyhole surgery for that condition last October ( it was a long slow process to diagnose) but he appears to be completely cured of that condition now (no lameness) although he'll likely get it in his left elbow and also will likely suffer from arthritis in both elbows when he's older but I don't think this issued with fatigue and tiredness is down to joint problems but it could be I suppose?

During the first twelve months of his life he was pretty much full on and full of energy every day but after he went lame he started sleeping more so at that time I asked the vet if that was normal for a Sprocker and he said absolutely not and that he should be full of energy but he wasn't and I would say that he's probably calmed down even more now.

He's from a working breed of spaniel and I would doubt very much that he could be a working dog now but dogs are funny even though he's shattered now as I type this he would go out if I asked him and, like with his lameness which was only apparent when he came home you would never know that he is exhausted when out on a walk apart from the heavy panting but he only really does that at night as he doesn't usually pant much during the morning walks.

Thanks for reading this.

Tony

I’m no vet but dog medicine does bear many resemblances to humans.
It does not sound normal and I doubt it will be related to his elbow surgery.
I’m sure your vet will take a good look at him when you see him soon, and hopefully make a diagnosis or investigate further.
Good luck.

I’m no vet but dog medicine does bear many resemblances to humans.
It does not sound normal and I doubt it will be related to his elbow surgery.
I’m sure your vet will take a good look at him when you see him soon, and hopefully make a diagnosis or investigate further.
Good luck.

Thanks, my daughter is a doctor too and she said pretty much the same thing.

I must say this sounds like an odd one given he only seems to pant heavily at night.

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but is his evening walk after he has eaten?

Generally, it is impossible to tire a cocker/springer type, so I would be concerned about the lethargy you describe.

I am not a vet.

I must say this sounds like an odd one given he only seems to pant heavily at night.

Sorry if it sounds like a silly question but is his evening walk after he has eaten?

Hi Max, yes he eats his evening meal and then goes out within about ten mins of eating but he's done this since he was a nine week old puppy.

The panting has only really started since the weather got hotter so about three weeks.

Generally, it is impossible to tire a cocker/springer type, so I would be concerned about the lethargy you describe.

I am not a vet.

Yes I'm of the same opinion Cav and that's what the vet said to me last year.

Hi Max, yes he eats his evening meal and then goes out within about ten mins of eating but he's done this since he was a nine week old puppy.

The panting has only really started since the weather got hotter so about three weeks.

Hmm. I was going to suggest walking him before dinner in case a full belly was causing his tiredness, but if it’s only since the warmish weather he’s panting then it’s probably not that.

Might be worth trying all the same though, assuming the vet doesn’t find the cause.

I only ever brought my two (recently deceased) mutts out on a full stomach once and they both puked their dinner up while out :)

Hmm. I was going to suggest walking him before dinner in case a full belly was causing his tiredness, but if it’s only since the warmish weather he’s panting then it’s probably not that.

Might be worth trying all the same though, assuming the vet doesn’t find the cause.

I only ever brought my two (recently deceased) mutts out on a full stomach once and they both puked their dinner up while out :)

Thanks again Max, he usually shits as soon as he eats anything so that's been the routine since almost day one, when he was really young (ten to twelve weeks) I used to feed him his breakfast then take him out but he would sometimes puke up his breakfast so I stopped doing that and now walk him then feed him when we come home and have done that since he was young.

Well good luck with him anyway, Twotone. I’ll be interested to hear what the vet says.

It sounds like he’s in a great home by the way. A lucky mutt!

Well good luck with him anyway, Twotone. I’ll be interested to hear what the vet says.

It sounds like he’s in a great home by the way. A lucky mutt!

Thanks Max, he's a wonderful dog, his name is Rocco and we love him to bits. The guy we bought Rocco from told me what his personality was like and he was 100% spot on which was pretty amazing considering the guy and his wife only had him, along with eight other puppies in the litter, for eight or nine weeks of his life but I couldn't have picked a better couple to buy a dog from.

There were times in the beginning that I thought WTF have I got myself into he was so full on, you could walk him for three hours and he'd be raring to go again when we got home, he exhausted me at the start which is the reason I asked the vet about Rocco around the twelve month mark but we just put that down to him losing the puppy thing and having the joint issues but he's definitely calmed down again this past month.

I'll update this thread when I get back from the vet on Friday.

Thanks again guys.

Dogs usually get sick quickly and recover quickly. Perhaps would have been better to take him to the vet after the first week of symptoms. Also, chicken legs if they have a bone in are not a good idea. Stick with beef.

But with dogs it's always a learning experience.

Based solely on experience of one of my Tibetan Terriers, I'm thinking a thyroid issue.

Thanks, that sounds plausible I had a cat with thyroid problems (over active I think) and she lost a lot of weight and became very vocal but she was 17 at the time and I think that’s pretty common in older animals especially cats.

We had a cat with a thyroid condition diagnosed at the age of 13. She was medicated for the remainder of her life, which was long and happy - she lived until the rip old age of 21. The long term medication of a thyroid condition in cats can accelerate kidney failure in cats. Our cat was put to sleep after she had a massive age related seizure.

I have to say other than the excessive drinking, the symptoms do not reflect those we saw in our cat. I should add that most thyroid conditions in cats are Hyperthyroidism which is an over active thyroid caused by (mostly) benign tumours on the thyroid.

Hypothyroidism is an under active thyroid and has completely different symptoms.

28a59i.jpg

Dogs usually get sick quickly and recover quickly. Perhaps would have been better to take him to the vet after the first week of symptoms. Also, chicken legs if they have a bone in are not a good idea. Stick with beef.

But with dogs it's always a learning experience.

Yes of course you are correct we maybe should have taken him to the vet before now but we just put the excessive panting down to tiredness at night and the heat and sunshine here in Glasgow these past few weeks but last night wasn't warm in fact it was quite cold and the exercise he was doing was nothing compared what he's had done previously at night.

He's always slept well since he was a puppy especially at night so apart from the panting nothing had really changed in that regard.

I should say though that my estimates of his walk with me are just that he does walk with other family members too so he's probably doing at least another 3 km per day on top of those figures I quoted earlier.

Regarding the chicken legs it's my understanding that raw bones are fine and are good for his teeth and his digestion but not cooked bones which can split and cause damage on the way to the dogs' stomachs plus dogs don't eat food they way we do they digest most of their food in their stomach because they don't grind food in their mouths.

Thanks

Tony

advertisement

Back