advertisement

my bloody valentine reissues

Did you crank it?

This is music I know chiefly from blasting it through a cheap music centre: it's been weird to hear it through a setup that I've put together mostly to listen to jazz. Isn't Anything has fared better than Loveless, for me: I think the latter would need to be really loud through my speakers, and my ears are no longer able to take that kind of thing.

I live in a flat with a neighbour who recently made a noise complaint, but I'll try cranking it during a weekday when she's out. Tried it again last night after changing cartridge, listening through headphones. It does seem to get better with volume but I didn't want to test my ears too much. Overall it seems like this isn't a record very well suited to an "audiophile" pressing. Amazing resale value though..

My set of 'Fully analog cut' LPs with the all important X arrived today. I'd bundled them with another record that was released this week and was slightly concerned that the delay might mean the order not being fulfilled. Chapeau Norman Records!

OT, but I heard Kevin Shields' house in Hampstead had been overrun by Chinchillas. Anyone know if there is any truth in this?

Heretical to say this on here I imagine, but I could never fathom Loveless, don't think I ever sat down and listened to both sides. Give me Isn't Anything any day, and the early and now expensive Lazy singles. And whenever my 13yr old or his friends mention a 'heavy loud song' like Pearl Jam or Green Day, I chuckle and yearn to play them You Made Me Realise ;)

Saw 'em twice in 1989,Portsmouth Poly and Reading Festival (that Friday was fantastic!). Alas missed the Rollercoaster shows, but my best mate saw that in Brighton and assured me it was like nothing he had ever experienced, and we went to a lot of shows, invariably loud.

Heretical to say this on here I imagine, but I could never fathom Loveless, don't think I ever sat down and listened to both sides. Give me Isn't Anything any day, and the early and now expensive Lazy singles. And whenever my 13yr old or his friends mention a 'heavy loud song' like Pearl Jam or Green Day, I chuckle and yearn to play them You Made Me Realise ;)

Saw 'em twice in 1989,Portsmouth Poly and Reading Festival (that Friday was fantastic!). Alas missed the Rollercoaster shows, but my best mate saw that in Brighton and assured me it was like nothing he had ever experienced, and we went to a lot of shows, invariably loud.
Loveless has its moments but I’ve never really got over the sense of being mildly underwhelmed on its release, after years of anticipation and a fair bit of hype. The SQ boost is welcome though and helps make sense of it.

advertisement

Back