advertisement

Mustang E

Drove the Mustang and iPace today. Chalk and cheese, the iPace was by far the better car to drive. The Mustang just felt unconnected to the driver. Now have to wait for six months due to the chip shortage, wanted to include the heads up display but now deleted ad an option due to not having the chips.

Drove the Mustang and iPace today. Chalk and cheese, the iPace was by far the better car to drive. The Mustang just felt unconnected to the driver. Now have to wait for six months due to the chip shortage, wanted to include the heads up display but now deleted ad an option due to not having the chips.

most people who test drive an i-pace end up buying one. They are great drivers cars.

there are still a few stock i-paces in the UK dealer network, you might be able to find one with a HUD. It is really good and worth it if tou can find a car equipped with one. I would also try to get the 360 camera as visibility is terrible when manoeuvring.

A family member works at the Jag and said to me the other day that at the moment they have the orders, it’s just the chip shortage causing issues, just as it is for everyone else too.

I’m quite sure which I’d rather have, and any family connections entirely aside, the SUVstang it ain’t.

I must admit, I did wonder why there was this sudden lurve for American cars. Apart from the powertrain, why would they have suddenly got better?

Update is that not only cant we get the HUD due to chip shortage but the 360 degree camera is no longer available as an option for the same reason. I hadn’t really paid much attention to the chip issue before but it seems to be a real commercial problem.

Update is that not only cant we get the HUD due to chip shortage but the 360 degree camera is no longer available as an option for the same reason. I hadn’t really paid much attention to the chip issue before but it seems to be a real commercial problem.

Does it have to be brand new? loads of nearly new on the used market.

Very real and rather large.
Try a spec a 3 series BMW - to any decent level.
You simply can't any more.
Even touch screens have disapeared from that range as well.
Then there is the 6 month wait time.
I think it's Renault (and possibly more now) who have swapped back to analogue dials and gauges in the dash, so short on devices they are.

With the JLR incentives it is cheaper to buy new on a pcp. Not fussed about the six month wait as my wife’s business lease BMW i3 is due to be returned at about the same time. I am hoping that there are no standard equipment deletions due to the chip issue as we would have to reconsider.

In a couple of years, there will be a lot of poverty spec used cars coming on the market. Note to self 2021-22 MY cars are not a good vintage.

I wonder if the chips are retrofittable?

With the JLR incentives it is cheaper to buy new on a pcp. Not fussed about the six month wait as my wife’s business lease BMW i3 is due to be returned at about the same time. I am hoping that there are no standard equipment deletions due to the chip issue as we would have to reconsider.

We own an i-Pace and I am active on the forums. I haven't heard of any standard equipment deletions. The deleted options are HUD, 360 camera and Clearsight mirror (which is really good). Sometimes cars are delivered with the deleted options included (if they are ordered options). I guess it depends on if they have any chips available at build time.

The i-Pace is a really good car, you won't regret going for one.

In a couple of years, there will be a lot of poverty spec used cars coming on the market. Note to self 2021-22 MY cars are not a good vintage.

I wonder if the chips are retrofittable?

MY21 cars are not affected, the deletions occurred at MY22 and maybe MY23 if it goes on for longer. car manufacturers start building the next model year in the previous year. makes no sense I know.

MY21 cars are not affected, the deletions occurred at MY22 and maybe MY23 if it goes on for longer. car manufacturers start building the next model year in the previous year. makes no sense I know.
It's worse than magazines, innit! January issues on sale in November...

They use the summer holidays to update the factory and change what needs to be changed for the new model year. When I worked with IT for the auto industry I nearly always worked with that. Then someone else had to take care of all bugs when the production started again ;)

Wouldn't the Model Y be worth checking out? I may have said this before.... faster than either iPace or Ford thingy, more storage space, better range, far better ecosystem and update technology, Jag will have better build but probably evens with the Ford. Plus you can watch YouTube on it.

Wouldn't the Model Y be worth checking out? I may have said this before.... faster than either iPace or Ford thingy, more storage space, better range, far better ecosystem and update technology, Jag will have better build but probably evens with the Ford. Plus you can watch YouTube on it.

My peer group at work now looks abit like a Tesla showroom but we are seeing a few iPaces turning up as well. They do like the cars but the criticism is on infrastructure which is still poor compared to Teslas network. If you need to travel extensively for work (or any reason really) I cannot see past Tesla yet. If you are a typical commuter with home charging then any decent EV will work.

I love my i3s but we're sort of out-growing it. Range is fine for us, and it's a great car to drive and I can't speak highly enough of it. But it is limiting when you have two ever-growing boys and two medium dogs. The Model Y would transport all of this, plus some luggage, easily.

My difficulty is justification. My new job is primarily remote, and my wife no longer works (at least until she decides what to do) so having two vehicles is hard enough to justify without upgrading one. Might sell the i3s and lease, though - I've normally bought vehicles outright, but I keep getting told that this is no longer how smart people do it, and so if I find a good deal I'd go for it. New work doesn't appear to offer any salary sacrifice options on cars, but that could come.

Anyway, less about me. The iPace looks way better and is likely a far better option than the Ford. The only thing counting against the iPace is the range. And lack of luggage space. Oh yeah, the price. And the 'jaaaaaag' thing. But still, I'd have one....

I love my i3s but we're sort of out-growing it. Range is fine for us, and it's a great car to drive and I can't speak highly enough of it. But it is limiting when you have two ever-growing boys and two medium dogs. The Model Y would transport all of this, plus some luggage, easily.

I'd love a Jag, but the Kia e-Niro we have accommodates all of that. Do 2 stumpy Labradors count as medium dogs? We looked at the Hyundai E-Kona which is essentially the same car but has smaller boot space, annoyingly, and the dogs were a tight fit.

My wife doesn’t like the Tesla design. Range not a issue as it would be very rarely that we would exceed the ipace true range. The Tesla maybe a little faster but not by much in real driving conditions. Luggage is not an issue for a family of two.

advertisement

Back